Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

"NEW" Giant Aeromaster ARF!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

"NEW" Giant Aeromaster ARF!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 01:08 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "NEW" Giant Aeromaster ARF!

Well, It looks like GP has come out with another plane I want. Just in time too. I have my trusty old G-62 between planes at the moment and have a few servos not busy and a smoke pump collecting dust. And most of all the wife said "get-it"

Late june is the arrivial date. the price looks good too. $339 in the the Super Saver News letter. that's 10 bucks off the regular price.

Later guys

Old 06-09-2006, 03:34 AM
wiz310

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "NEW" Giant Aeromaster ARF!

All very interesting. any pics or links to it?.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:30 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMKB5&P=7
Old 06-09-2006, 09:21 AM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

First thing I notice on the GP web site is that the "N" struts are one piece. That's a lot easier than the kit versions 3-piece assembly.

I'm eager to see the ARF so as to compare it to the kit-built that I purchased last year. I hope GP sells a lot of them - it's such a sweet flyer!

BobbyG
Old 06-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Thunderbolt47

Thanks for the link P-51B, It was late last night and I forgot to add it.

What I like best is it's a classic bipe that's not a 3D plane. So that means I can get it in the air pretty cheap. No high dollar servos and long arms and such. Plus it's white and red just like a bipe is suppose to be. They all look great with a white smoke cloud behind them!

BobbyGee, I've never flown one but I have also never heard anything bad about them either. What are you running on your kit built and what is the weight?

Hopefully I can get it on back order before next weekend

Later,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81835.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	474743  
Old 06-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Thunderbolt47

after looking at the manual I see they have robart style hinges instead of CA.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-09-2006, 11:38 AM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Thunderbolt47

BobbyGee, I've never flown one but I have also never heard anything bad about them either. What are you running on your kit built and what is the weight?

Later,

Mine has a US Engines 41 cc. For my taste that's enough for sport flying in a "scale" manner. I don't get unlimited vertical, but I'm not looking for it. I wanted a bipe with good manners, capable of sport aerobatics that looks good while doing it. This plane is all that. It's a puddy tat to takeoff and land, too ... takes off short and lands slow.

I have no idea how much it weighs, but my guess is that it's around the 18 or so lbs. that are typical for the kit built ones. Despite the weight, it's in the air at a lower sirspeed than I anticipated. It's got a LOT of wing!

From what you write, it will be just what you're looking for. Let us know when you get it and share with us how she flies, plaese!

Enjoy!

BobbyG

Old 06-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Thunderbolt47

Thanks BobbyGee, I can't post pics of the build, I don't have a digital camera. ( probubly the only person in the country with out one). But I will give a flight report, and comment on any problem I come across. when they get in!

time to "SAVE UP!"
Old 06-11-2006, 08:15 AM
rogue-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I have a Giant aero master built from a kit and it is one excellent aircraft. It will do anything that you want. I'm glad to see Great planes release this as an arf. Mine is powered by a Zeonah G-45 and it is an excellent powerplant for it . It will pull vertical and hang on the the prop and then go into a beautiful tail slide. Takeoffs and landings are a thing of beauty also. If you buy it you will love it. Just my two cents.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:35 AM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Does anyone have an opinion on how an OPS Maxi 30cc would do on this?
Thanks!
JLK
Old 06-11-2006, 08:58 AM
aa2dd

Hey ya'll

After maybe 4-5 years of on and off building, I finally finished my Giant Aeromaster. Friday was the "Maiden" flight. It has G-62 engine and 22-8 prop. I also changed the struts to "N" type, like the new ARF. Easier to install i think. Not sure what i was really expecting when i took off the first time. When airborne, it only required slight trim adjustments! Found that hard to believe as i am not a very good builder. Adjusted the top wing to -2 degrees incidence with approx 1/16" shims. The G-62 is awesome for this bird. it flies very stable. take-offs and landings are almost trainer type!!! can hardly believe it. I found the original control surface throws suggested by Great Planes to be sluggish and very slow. I still have some messing to do in this area. However i think this is a personal choice, depending on what you are liking for control response. I built with elevator and rudder servos mounted in rear. With wooden Prop, it balances about to my liking .. with CG on the bolt heads at rear of top wing. It flies inverted with neutral elevator control at this CG setting. I still have to play around with stall characteristics, but it does not seem to be "unfriendly" at all, and most stable.

At this point, I surely will buy the new arf and store, just in case they decide to drop it again. Just my 2 sents guys, and hope my post was not too long and or boring.

Bruce

Old 06-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Thunderbolt47

thanks for the flight report Bruce.

What does your plane weigh?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Shubova
My Feedback: (9)

Once again GP has surprised me, I do a lot of research on this hobby and this one caught me by surprise, when I saw the ad in the Aug 06 issue Model Airplane Mag. I never understood why they stopped making the kit.
I’ve wanted a Giant Aeromaster since I decided to get in this hobby/sport. I’ve never built a plane from a kit nor do I have the patience so ARFs have been a blessing. I have been flying more advanced planes so I’m confident I can finally handle this one. Last November my local hobby store (Pegasus) had a good deal on the GP Super Stearman, at the time it seemed the closest to the Aeromaster that I could find in an ARF, I but haven’t had time to put it together. So I’m thinking of selling the Stearman and getting the Aeromaster.
Getting to the point I picked up Saito 150 4 stroke for the Stearman. Does any one have any thoughts about putting the Saito 150 in the Giant Aeromaster ARF?
Also is there a sensible technical answer to the debate weather to use 2 or 4 servos in the ailerons.
Thanks GP love this plane!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Thunderbolt47

Aerosman, I would go with 4 servos. Mainly because it is a pain to get the geometry right with a slave rod.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:47 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

The Saito 150 is not heavy enough to fly the big Aeromaster correctly.

It was designed for a rather heavy gas engine and with the 150, you're gonna need a ton of nose weight to balance.

Stick to a 40 to 60 cc gas engine, or maybe an OS or Saito 300 glow twin.

Or a Saito 450 radial.

see where I'm going here....
Old 06-16-2006, 06:51 PM
aa2dd

sorry for the delayed answer. My G.A. tips the scales at 21# 2oz without the wheel pans installed. they weigh 4 oz each, so all up would be 21# 10oz. The grass at the field gets a bit up once in a while, so not sure about installing the pants. I used 4 servos for ailerons. gets rid of the control rod between control surfaces.

Bruce
Old 06-16-2006, 07:15 PM
RCShadow

Pics ! We wanna see pics !!!!!

Pwease ?!?!
Old 06-16-2006, 08:07 PM
aa2dd

uploaded pix twice, but don't know where it went ! sorry, guess i don't know how to upload a pix with my post
Old 06-17-2006, 09:39 AM
FenceMagnet

"It was designed for a rather heavy gas engine "

actually, wasn't it designed around the also-moderately-heavy Super Tigre 4500 ???

[:-]
Old 06-19-2006, 05:50 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

I don't think so. It was designed for the US41. I don't recall seeing any other engine mentioned in the manual, but that was 8 years ago.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Shubova
My Feedback: (9)

Hi,
Still looking at different engines. Sorry not familiar with US engines. Do you have a link to their web site, just want to check the spec's.
In the manual for the new GP AM ARF they suggest using;
OS 1.60 cu in 2-Stroke
SuperTigre G-3250 1.98 cu in 2- Stroke
OS BGX-1 3500 2.13 cu in 2-Stroke
Fuji-Imvac BT-43EI Electric Ignition Gas Engine
In the GP Real Flight simulation program they use a SuperTirgre 4500.
?
Thanks,
[8D]
Old 06-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

This is a very nice looking plane. Can't wait til someone post some pics and reports on the quality. Looks like a very nice size for a 40cc - 50cc.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Chevelle

Ooo I want one too! I certainly love the ones I have already. (I also have the GP Super Aeromaster still in the box.)

[link=http://www.wings-of-valor.net/uploads/media/SmokeDreams_medres.wmv]Smoke Dreams (16M)[/link]

Old 07-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Well I have two of the KITS, one on the building board, one in the box never touched. I am planning a ZDZ 60 for power and have made several mods to this plane along the way, you can read them in other forums on this site. I have flown a couple of these planes and they are one of the best flying biplanes I have ever flown. Compared to a stearman or a skybolt they are awesome. They are a good size and easy to see in the sky and beg for some amazing graphics on the covering. I would NOT recoomend a glow engine for this plane regardless of what the box says. A good gasser wwould eb teh best for this plane. A US 41 is what it calls for but I think a ZDZ50 or 60 or DA50 would serve this plane far better. I would suggest however if you are going to go with one of the newer more modern engines, then plan to lighten the tail feathers somewhat.

Enjoy it is a great plane....
Old 07-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Thunderbolt47

Does anybody have one yet? I've had something else going on, so hopefully I can get mine in a couple of weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.