Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Funtana 90 Help

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Funtana 90 Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 09:18 PM
flyfish
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana 90 Help

Funtana 90 help

Well my wife got me a funtana 90 for my B-Day!!!!!!! A YS 1.40 is going in!!!!!
I am going to use Hitec 5645 and an 81 for the throttle.
What prop do you think I should use? I was thinking 18x6.
I was also thinking of wiring up the tail for added support.
What other mods and setup tips do you think I should?

What do you think, all info welcome?
Old 06-10-2006, 09:34 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Funtana 90 Help

Put on a taller and heavier landing gear. Mine has an Enya 91 4c and with one harder than normal landing, the gear spread open and took off a section of the 15" prop. I now have a cross wire to hold the gear a little taller and stronger. This little added heigth also helps with a better angle of attack to make an easier rotation.
You'll need to strengthen the engine box with pins and glass cloth. As you're aware with any arf is to reglue all joints you can with thin Ca and epoxy, also tape the aileron and elevator gaps.
Not knowing how hard you fly, I only used the lower horiz. stab supports and didn't put on upper flying wires.

After reading the replies below; I had been reluctant to question your engine choice. If enough power is good, then more is better ? It ain't !!!
Old 06-11-2006, 06:43 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Thats alot of engine for that plane, mine flys fine on an OS91 and I flew a ys110 that was pretty ballistic.

One thing I can tell you, fly that too fast and you will be taking it home in a dust buster no matter what you do to the tail.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:22 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No, you are not getting away with it. There are hundreds of pages that this have already been discussed. If we all had to spend countless hours reading them then you will have to as well. NO Shortcuts...

18x6w is most common prop. Do all the usual reinforcements. Fly sensibly (nothing over half throttle flat and level). Just remember this is a 3d plane. Fly it like a sport plane and you will start a new thread badmouthing H9 products...
Old 06-11-2006, 08:35 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very true!

The Funtana is a Ballerina - If you ask a ballerina to play Football, something is going to break!

A YS 140 is a LOT of engine for that airframe. I flew mine with a YS 110 and personally, I think that engine is ideal. A YS 140 is almost asking for a structural failure