Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

3rd Plane - Spacewalker II 40 - Questions

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

3rd Plane - Spacewalker II 40 - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 PM
garywi
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Plane - Spacewalker II 40 - Questions

Well I got it today. I am impressed so far with this ARF. I will put my Trainer OS MAX .46 on this plane. Wondering if I should mount engine on the side as suggested, or should I mount right-side-up?

What other mods or deviations from the instuctions should I consider?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:37 PM
aussiesteve

Default RE: 3rd Plane - Spacewalker II 40 - Questions

Mount it on its side - if you mount it upright It will either look strange or you will have to alter the thrust line of the plane to get the motor low enough. OS engines generally run pretty well when mounted sideways.

Before I joined the wings on my current one, I made up a small wedge to reduce the dihedral to about half of the standard - It cost me some stability but it is an absolute blast to fly (Saito 82 & 13 x 7 Prop). I left the dihedral as is on it's predecessor and it was just about the most stable plane I've ever had.

Mine is an earlier one and I stiffened up the wire part of the pushrods by gluing some CF tube over the wire because I could flex the rods fairly easily by pushing on the Elevator & Rudder - With the Saito & prop combination I was concerned that I may be able to evercome the surfaces at a higher speed.

I also left off the wheel pants - mainly because we fly from Grass Runways and I usually leave them off anyway to protect the wings in the event of the underarriage being broken off.

Otherwise it is as it comes from the box and is an absolute blast to fly - Good luck with yours
Old 06-13-2006, 08:05 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

Am jealous!!! Had one in my hands this week and almost bought it. Workmanship on the Seagull version is great and I have an OS .48 4-stroke that would push it nicely. Tell us how it does with the .46 and how you like it !!
Old 06-13-2006, 08:08 PM
jrotor
My Feedback: (5)

I had this plane and it was not a slow one unlike the scale. Otherwise I liked it a lot.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:39 PM
mandtra
My Feedback: (29)

I agree mount the motor on it's side. And I too have had issues with the rods flexing. I may change them out to 440
Old 09-14-2006, 11:35 AM
opjose

I cured the flex quite easily.

I took a pair of small model landing gear hold downs, the little plastic pieces with a "U" in the center and screw hole eyelets on either side.

I put one inverted over the other with the rod in between, and moved it as far forward in the fuselage exit groove as it would go w/o binding the wire, and screwed it in place.

This acts as a guide for the wire w/o needing to open the fuselage or change out anything...

It's a cheap fix, which I performed for all of the pushrods.

The flex went away with this.