Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Need Help Hanging Airplanes for storage >

Need Help Hanging Airplanes for storage

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Need Help Hanging Airplanes for storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Hanging Airplanes for storage

I am about to run out of room....Is there anyone out there that has some great ideas for hanging airplanes from walls, ceilings, any clear place?!?!

Thanks in advance...

Michael
Old 12-27-2002, 05:56 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default Wall Shelf Brackets

If you get the adjustable wall shelf bracket rails --- aluminum vertical runners with slots to position the arms --- they can be set up varying spaces for the wings and fuses. Wrap 3/4" foam pipe insulation around the arms. Just saw them in a picture someone else posted. I just popped 3/4" holes in a garage wall with a spade bit and pushed in 3/4" dowels myself. Okay for now, but a repair job if the planes change or we move.

Hang planes from the ceiling with nyln string and small eye hooks. Cradle the string around the main wing and fuse. The cg will keep it hanging straight.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:07 PM

I use Peg board for my Fuse's and hang my wings from the ceiling with eye hooks and trapeze tubes. I take two eye hooks
(Actually 4 because you need 2 sets one at either end of wing) about 14" (or whatever the cord of your wings are,) apart and then hang a loop of string with a tube cut to length from a paper towel, toilet paper tube, you get what i mean. whatever material and then just hang them close to the ceiling. For the fuses I have 14" peg board supports with PVC tubes over them and Pipe insulation over the tubes. This configuration allows me to move planes all over the place. I also hang my chargers from the peg board along with my transmitters. I use double hook peg board hooks for the transmitters. They hold the handles very nicely. I can walk through my shop and with a glance see all the lights blinking on the chargers ( I use a TME pulse charger on all my planes) tells me all is OK.

The DiBo
Old 12-27-2002, 12:17 PM

Default PS

The peg board system is more versital than the rail system because you are not limited by the width the rails are apart. You can adjust the supports custom for any planes or fuse. If you have enough room you can also put your wings on them if you don't like the ceiling idea, Oh by the way I have 14 planes stored on a 12' by 7' wall this way along with all the transmitters and additional paraphernalia.
The DiBo
Old 12-27-2002, 01:34 PM

Dennis, Do the peg board supports seem to have enough strength to hold larger fuses ? The largest plane I have Is a 4 star .60. I like your Idea with the peg board and I may have to change over. Are there different thicknesses of peg board and heavyer duty hardware or is it all pretty standard.

I Use Electrical Conduit for my storage.

The 2x4's in my garage are not covered so what I did was go to lowes and get 1/2" metal conduit (electrical tubing) and a couple of bags of the half circle hold downs. Then I cut the tubing in 12-14" lengths screwed them to the 2x4's with 2 hold downs on each piece of pipe. After I put 2 up for each fuse and wing I then put the 1/2" pipe insulation over the conduit and had my storage system. Draw backs of this are that it is not easily adjustable but it was very cheap and easy to do.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:05 PM

Default I use Peg board for my Fuse's and hang my wings from the ceiling with eye hooks and t

Hi Dennis,

Thanks everyone who has replied.....question: do you have a digital camera??? I would love to see the 12 X 7 wall hold that many a/c. I to have a 4*60, Rascal, Supersporter, PC-9, and a LT-40. Working an a Patriot Kit right now and the wife is saying....were is that going to go?

Michael
Old 12-27-2002, 03:42 PM

Default Peg Board

OK
First of all you get the 1/4" board with the 1/4" holes, IS called tempered Pegboard. Has a harder face. Can also get it in white so don't have to paint it. I believe they make a thinner one with 1/8" holes but not for us. The board had to be mounted with a space behind it to allow for the insertion of the pegs Meaning if you have and existing wall that is not open as in a studded wall you have to nail/screw up strips of 1x2 or 3s on 24" centers. the only place you will not be able to hang hooks is where the 1x are. IS really never a problem. I purchased 1/4 x 14" supports from the local hardware and put 1/2 pvc piping over them to make them long enough for teh fuse stab to be clear of the wall. Also over the i/2 inch pipe I used Pipe insulation for a cushion.
I have hung planes up to my ultimate which is 11lbs. Well that is the weight w the wings on I guess the fuse alone is Humm maybe what 10 lbs or so +or -. A 4 Star 60 is no problem. Look at my profile and you can see the planes I have on this wall. actually I have room for more.. Humm HAs me thinking she'll kill me though if I hang another one. I Guess Ill say OH had that one for long time see you never even pay any attention to my stuff brother. I told you I won that almost a year ago.

The DiBo
Old 12-28-2002, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the Info DiBo. I got a lowes gift card for christmas so I think I will do the peg board as you suggest. I only have half my planes hanging up now so if I do it your way I'll be able to get them all up. Now I just need to figure out how to hang my Caliber .30
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43507_22889.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	26977  
Old 12-29-2002, 01:30 AM

You all don't have problems with the covering getting wrinkled or the airframes warping being in the garage?

I'd love to put my planes in the garage but I am concerned they'll wrinkle even worse than now do to the extreme temps and humidity changes. Currently they are on a shelf in my walk in closet adjacent to my bathroom. Both my planes are getting wrinkled sitting there. Everytime I go fly I have to shrink the covering again. My wife, the boss, said that's the only place inside they are permitted on a permanent basis.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:10 AM

Default Peg Board- Mission Accomplished

Dennis,

Thanks for the suggestion...the peg board is up, 1/4" and now I find that there is much more room and....room for NEW AIRPLANES!!!!! Home Depot has the 1/4" white board in stock as well as the 1 by 2 for framing. Great Idea.

Even had time to fly the Rascal a couple of times today, as it was 69 F today in Dallas...

Michael
Old 12-29-2002, 12:47 PM

Default Electric

Your More than welcome. I was just wondering. Why did you need the 1x stock. Your studs were exposed in the garage?
Hi
I said about the 1x if you were mounting on a flat wall. But as long as everything is working out WONDERFUL. You will find that you can hang lots of stuff on the wall between planes as well. I installed a dedicated electrical line to my panel just for my chargers. Another idea you might consider. Seeing that its in the garage might be easy to run all the wire and outlets. If you really want to go the right way can install a plug mold outlet strip along bottom or middle wherever you think will work out well. I plugged a TME ( Pulse charger) into the dedicated line, THEN ran my plug mold from that. This gives me a plug mold with a Full pulse charge going into. I can plug my chargers into this plug mold and all my planes are charging all the time. Is never a case of which plane is charged or what, I have them all ready anytime I want one. I do cycle the batteries in the winter though. Temp of 69 huh. Well i'm getting ready to fly with skis today on snow. Our temp is 39 you lucky stinker.

For Now

keep em
Into the wind & level on the final !!!
the DiBo
Old 12-29-2002, 03:08 PM

Default Peg Board.....continued

Hi Dennis,

My garage is "rocked" and had to use stand-offs. The trickle charger is another great idea...I am always guessing which plane and time to start charging.....which charger are you using, TME? THere are so many.....would a standard power strip running into the trickle charger work?

Michael
Old 12-29-2002, 04:03 PM

Default power strip

Sorry Michael

Someone had sent me a picture of his garage and was open stud work. OK as far as the pulse charger, it is a charger that when you use your RC chargers with it ,the lights will blink on and off . IT is not a trickle charger as they drop off in the amount of current they put out after a certain time. This charger actually pulses your full charge into the battery but on a pulse rate. Are called T.M. E. chargers, not sure what the acronym stands for.
TOWER Sells them. They also have a fuse system in them to stop any over loads into your equipment as well. Yes you can use a regular power strip. In fact a buddy of mine uses two. He plugs the TME into his regular outlet. Then he plugs the power strip into the TME along w I believe 4 chargers. Then he uses a extension cord out of this same power strip ( obviously the strip had 5 outlets on it) to the second strip at a different location. so he charges
8 planes at once along w a few transmitters ( only because he has computer transmitters that have 2 or 3 planes on each one)
Also plugs his glow igniter & 12 volt charger into the strip at times to charge his other equipment. When I come home at night if I put the plane right back on the charging strip it fully charges the same plane back up for the next day if I want to fly that one again. Funny how you might have a load of planes but really like to fly only certain ones at a time.

The DiBo
Old 12-29-2002, 04:55 PM

Default TME chargers...

Dennis,

I am looking at my handy-dandy tower catalog....man there is a lot of chargers, do you have a model number? I appreciate this.....You RC universe people are great!

Michael
Old 12-29-2002, 08:18 PM

Default TME

Michael

I just tore the house apart looking for my TOWER Catalog and no luck. I actually bought mine from Penn Valley Hobbies in Lansdown, PA. they are on the web, I do know that TOWER carried them though because I saw them in thier catalog. This item does not look like all the other chargers though. There are no leads, It just plug into and outlet with and outlet on the front of it. It has 2 functions, HAS a push button spot to institute a reg 16 hour charge time and then goes into the pulse charge. We only use the pulse charging because have always found that overnight on this gave a complete charge. If you use the 16 hour charge you have to use it on only the plane you are charging and can't have all of them connected as we do. Looks like a small box is all. Ill keep looking to see if i can find it. OH by the way its only in the BIG Catalog not the tower talk.

The Dibo
Old 12-30-2002, 03:18 PM

Default Penn Valley

Thanks Dennis,

I will check out penn valley hobbies. Happy New Year!!!

Michael