Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 MUSTANG 60 KIT BASH

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 MUSTANG 60 KIT BASH

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 06:13 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default H9 MUSTANG 60 KIT BASH

Welp........ I just ordered one, and Im gonna do a few things to it, as I have time. It should be here before the weekend.
I picked up a retractable tailwheel, that Im gonna try to make go forward, and some paint. A new mds 78 and bisson pitts for os 61, which is much smaller than the one for the 91os.
Ive searched this forum for experiences with this particular plane, with little success. Seems like the same old complaints about arfs........oh well, Nuthin can be wrong with this baby, that I cant "right", and I will make the doors shut on the gear wells correctly, and will probly add scale inner doors as well.
I cant wait to get it finished!
Does it have flaps?
Probly dont need them, but its getting them anyway, needed or not.
I bought a spinner but in my excitement, I settled for one thats a tad pointy.
I will return that one and get a tru-turn p51 spinner.
I got some nice gauges and may add a topflight 1/7 cockpit kit, if I dont have to re- arrange a whole lot of stuff.
So....... show me how yall added your personal touches, dealt with the kits shortcomings, and when Mine gets here................I'll start bashing!
thanx
d

Old 07-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: H9 MUSTANG 60 KIT BASH

Let me be one to tell you some items I know. I just built this plane per the manual. Flaps.. Nope None. But there is a nice thread on this site that showes them being added. It's in the Miss America thread. That's where you can find several things.

The stock landing gear was less than impressive. I installed the robart mechanicals. First flight I discovered that robart did not flat spot the gear and they pivioted. Just fixed this no big deal. The wing does need material removed with the robarts. The advantage of them is the thicker steel rod landing gear over the original.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:18 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe you should cancel the h9 mustang and order the world models mustang - it already has flaps. unless you are a fan of h9. or take a look at what kmp offers in a mustang. also- dave brown has good parabolic (p51 type) aluminum spinners a lot cheaper than tru-turn spinners.

ed
Old 07-10-2006, 11:43 PM
bignasdy

cool...Il give that thread a peak....... and look at browns stuff.
thanx
d
Old 07-11-2006, 07:21 AM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bignasdy,

Been following your post on the Hellcat thread. Sounds like you are really enjoying that plane. I am hoping to maiden my P-51 this weekend. She is all set up and ready to go. I have been reading every thread that I can find the last week or so. Let me highlight what I have read in about a thousand posts.

Gear, gear, and more gear issues! Some guys fly the stock gear and have no problems. Some guys have the gear collapse on them in the first few flights. Some guys have literally destroyed their planes due to gear failures causing a cart wheel down the runway. My take on it is either shore up the standard gear or go with pneumatic gear like Robart.

Standard gear fix:
There is an interesting post on the first couple of pages of the ARF thread here that is called Hanger 9 gear problems, or something close to that. There is pictures of a simple little mod to add a plywood support and a stronger and longer bolt to the rotating part in the gear mechanism. Apparently this takes out a lot of the wobble. The other mod that seems to work really well for guys is to change out the struts form the standard wire to 3/16" music wire. This also makes the gear much more stable, and keeps it from bending out of shape to the point where the gear will not fit back into the wheel wells. A really good thread to find is the Hanger 9 Miss America thread. Just type that whole phrase in the search box and search by rank not date. It should be one of the first ones to come up. This talks about the thicker strut mod in detail.

Upgraded mechanical and Pneumatic strut fix:

Several different brands are talked about on the Hanger 9 Miss America thread I refered to above. Seems most guys used Spring Air brand pneumatics because they drop in without much cutting. Several guys used Robarts, and there is a couple of links for some high grade mechanical gear as well.

Other than that guys seem to love the plane. Seems that 4 1/2" back is a better CG than the recommended 4 3/4" from what I have gathered. Guys also recommend reinforcing the firewall.

My plan is to do the 2 mods to the stock gear, and see how it handles. If it there is any question at all about the stability, I am going for the Robart upgrade. There isn't any feedback yet on how she handles with both of the simple stock gear modifications done. That would be awesome if this would do the trick!

Please let us know what your take is on the stock gear once you get your Mustang. I like your keep it simple and fly the wings off of her approach to the Hellcat!

Adam
Old 07-11-2006, 08:53 AM
bignasdy

thanx for the info!
As I get time, I'll be reading the miss america threads.
Should have the plane thursday, if ups will just leave it here......
Good luck with the maiden flight! Im sure you will be fine.
d
Old 07-11-2006, 09:58 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

bignasdy,

You did not say which version you bought. The newer Miss America version has slightly better gear that you might be able to get away with if you fly from asphault (maybe they will eventually make it onto Marie, who knows). I replaced the gear on my Marie with Robart mechanicals, recovered the plane in a different scheme to match an 8th Airforce Mustang that I like. I made a few more mods to make it look more scale, inluding a Top Flite canopy. That's about all I had to do beyond what was in the kit.

Both the H9 and WM are sport scale or stand-off scale, whatever you want to call it, but I personally prefer the H9 because it looks much closer to scale to my eyes. The H9 flies excellent and I've heard the same about the WM.

Greg
Old 07-12-2006, 07:12 AM
bignasdy

I got the Marie, but it wont be her for long. Itll be od green, aluminum, and red. Ive found some I like, but not "the" one yet. I like checkers so.......still lookin for a pic of the right one.
The hellcat gear works fine on grass, so Im hopin the stangs will be fine too. If not, I'll make them work.
Itll be here tomorow!
cant wait
How about some pics?
thanx
d
Old 07-12-2006, 08:44 AM
bignasdy

been looking all morning for the miss america thread.....cant find it through searches eother.....can someone post it?
Thanx
d
Old 07-12-2006, 10:33 PM
gsmarino2000

Here is my H9 'Stang, with the original H9 canopy.

Greg

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49723.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	490707  
Old 07-12-2006, 11:40 PM
bignasdy

looks nice! Is the canopy bigger on a Topflight 1/7th?
thanx for the pic
d
Old 07-13-2006, 06:38 PM
bignasdy

Just got the plane......it looks okay...so far.
The only things I dont like so far are, the way the cowl overhangs the fuse.
And the fuse sides, where the lower portion of the rearward radiator scoop join the sides has a nice glue bead that looks like poop.
Itl have to be uncovered and sanded.
After I find the miss a thead...... I'll decide what mods i want to do like, flaps........inner doors.....etc etc etc.
Right now, the only mod I wanna do is build the fuse out to a cowl ring and use the lower part of the provided cowl to cover the rest.
I also will be adding a robart retract tailwheel.......although it apears that it will have to retract rearwards instead of forwards.....I just want it ouit of sight on those "wingover dive ins" into the "highspeed hair re-arranger"........
I think Il also lower the cockpit floor to make a larger inst. panel with the gauges I got.
Oh well...thats it for the moment..heading out to join the wing halves.......
d
Old 07-16-2006, 01:08 PM
bignasdy

text disappeared
Old 07-16-2006, 01:23 PM
bignasdy

okay, after my post disappering, Il try it again, but i dont feel like typing for another hour for nuthin so let the pics tell the story...if they work!

Name:	Zx72700.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	492216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19234.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	492217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77818.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	492218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19960.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	492219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al71676.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	492220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc49383.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	492221  
Old 07-16-2006, 06:18 PM
gsmarino2000

bgnasdy,

The Top Flite canopy off the 1/7th scale Gold Edition kit is basically the correct scale dimensions for a 1/7th P-51 - about 1" longer than the H9. Unlike the H9, the TF framework and overall canopy shape are correct, too. You can buy the Top FLite canopy as a spare part from Tower Hobbies. Unfortunately it takes a bit of work because the top of the H9 fuse is not exactly the same profile as the TF. The more correct TF exhaust ports and the gun blisters would probably work as well. None of the TF stuff is painted, not even the frame on the canopy.

This is only if you are pretty anal about the scale looks. For most people the H9 Mustang is probably fine the way it is.

Greg

Old 07-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Rebellion

ORIGINAL: bignasdy

been looking all morning for the miss america thread.....cant find it through searches eother.....can someone post it?
Thanx
d

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2212667/anchors_2212667/mpage_1/key_Miss%252CAmerica/anchor/tm.htm#2212667]Miss America[/link]
Old 07-16-2006, 11:27 PM
bignasdy

ORIGINAL: gsmarino2000

bgnasdy,

The Top Flite canopy off the 1/7th scale Gold Edition kit is basically the correct scale dimensions for a 1/7th P-51 - about 1" longer than the H9. Unlike the H9, the TF framework and overall canopy shape are correct, too. You can buy the Top FLite canopy as a spare part from Tower Hobbies. Unfortunately it takes a bit of work because the top of the H9 fuse is not exactly the same profile as the TF. The more correct TF exhaust ports and the gun blisters would probably work as well. None of the TF stuff is painted, not even the frame on the canopy.

This is only if you are pretty anal about the scale looks. For most people the H9 Mustang is probably fine the way it is.

Greg
GREG .....Im ordering the stuff as we speak! LOL
I like it to look good and thats all really. I guess I can be anal...LOL
Ive sanded the nose in tonight, and man it looks nice but the canopy is way too small and the bottom frame looks kinda funny.
I think the plane is fine as it comes myself.
Im just havin FUN!

EDAV, thanx man...I dont understand why my searches on here never produce results. Perhaps a browser setting or sumpthin.......Anyway, I do appreciate it!
thanx
d

Name:	Ki19533.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	492584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60730.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	492585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17675.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	492586  
Old 07-17-2006, 10:43 AM
bignasdy

I looked at the whole miss a thread but didnt see any flap installations........did see a bunch of "goofy" stuff of interest though..LOL
Is there a different thread? Im searching to no avail!
thanx
d
Old 07-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

bignasdy,

In all the reading that I did I found no one that did a flap addition. It was talked about several times but the consensus was the plane didn't need them because it slowed itself down very well on it's own. I found a few guys that said they were going to try it, but they didn't report back any results. Let me know if you find out anything different. I would be interested to see how the plane does with them.

I ordered some Spring Air retracts with Oleo struts today. They are having a sale on the 704's which I am told fit right in. They are $155 including the pressure tank and everything else you need plus you get 25% off. You still have to buy the Oleo's for another $80. I will have just over $200 into them when done.

Adam
Old 07-17-2006, 02:03 PM
bignasdy

adam, Im sure it wont need flaps for anything but looks. Flaps on anything under 1/4 scale just dont make sense....but then again, sometimes I aint too sensible! LOL
I may or may not do it.........as soon as he fuse is done...I'll consider it.......
......Again, just for looks.
d
Old 07-18-2006, 03:56 AM
mikerc
My Feedback: (11)

Why would you go through the trouble of making a new cowl, flaps and then mounting your engine sideways. Just looks like poop.

Here was mine with custom 1/7 scale 12 cyl. engine. hehe.
http://www.mikerc.com/video/memorial...yrealsound.wmv
Old 07-18-2006, 10:05 AM
bignasdy

trouble?
Why would anyone buy an arf to begin with?
They ARE poop.[:@]
I build.[8D]
And why would anyone live with that plastic covering that looks like kids candy? [&o]
THAT looks like poop.
And why...why..why......I can go on and on and on...now lets stick to the subject, and thats bashing this kit............not me.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:22 AM
l.wilber
My Feedback: (3)

MikeRC, I try not to criticise but I'll have to agree. If you go thru all that trouble why not go ahead an invert your engine??? Or spend the $$$ if you can and buy one of RCV's 4 strokers. Bignasdy, IMHO amigo you might as well stayed with the origional cowl. A big ole' cylinder head stickin out of the side just doesn't do it justice with all that extra work. If it were me, I would put a four stoke inverted on it with a "flex exhaust" and try my best not too muck up the lines of that pretty bird. These opions are mine and not those of RCU..... [8D]
Old 07-18-2006, 11:04 AM
bignasdy

lines?
This plane is so far out of "lines" it aint even funny.
Again for those that failed to read the subject line..this is a "kit bash", not a " heres MY opinion " on what bignasdy does!
If the thread, how ever small it is now, had been read, ......its been explained why I do what I do. How many folks here, have planes that they built 27 to 30 years ago, No, not bARFS ,.......that still fly and look good?
Thats what I thought.
Now If I were you, Id go to another thread where there is no work or experience or thought involved.
I wont be seeing any more negative comments, as the negative "user..... users" will be blocked. "
Not once has anyone seen me critisize anyone on here, for anything, no matter how stupid they were, And theres plenty to go around.
Now ........Im gonna get back to "wasting my time" in the shop......jeeeeeeze
Perhaps I should have asked this forum...... What I should do, how should I build................
Seems to me, rcu has become a waste of time...........Now back to the subject paaaaleeeeze.
d
Old 07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
mikerc
My Feedback: (11)

Just my opinion. It looks like you do very nice work. I just can't stand an engine sticking out the side.

Have fun, It is a nice flying plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.