Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Funtana 40

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Funtana 40

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 09:54 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Funtana 40

Tony In the first pic the aile is deflected slightly. When it is neutral the arm is 90derees to the servo case. My geometry is not perfect I know. But I have learned since I set that old F40 up. Think about doing the ball links also if you use the longer arms. It sure takes the bind out.

David
Old 10-24-2006, 02:19 PM
T.W.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks David, I can hardly wait to see how my Funtana will fly since I repaired it - I just need some suitable weather. Today would have been ok, but I was otherwise engaged . . . . dratt!

Tony
Old 10-24-2006, 02:48 PM
T.W.

Agust, if you're still looking-in: I contacted Alasdair Sutherland following your mention (post #179) of him having expressed his dislike for "thick tips" in his column in RCMW. I told him about my experiences with the Funtana's wing - and about how this thread gave me the "cure," by way of doing the wing mod. Alasdair has since written back to say that he'd like to make mention this thread in a future column. So thanks to you quoting his article, he will now quote our own. RCU's great, init!

Tony
Old 10-27-2006, 06:46 AM
T.W.

I didn't get to the strip on the 24th after all - errands to do, etc. And it's never stopped raining since then! Dratt! I'm dying to see how my Funtana flies since repairing the front of the fuz, but all this rain is keeping me from the strip. Wish it would dry-up for a couple of days . . . . soon!

Tony
Old 10-27-2006, 10:11 AM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Hi everyone. I finished my wing mod and ironed down the covering and it came up short like most everyone elses. I'm not too impressed with the results of my job though. The right wing looks ok but the left ,,,,,,well,, before I add the strip of white I'll post some pics and seek your opinions. I think I should have rounded off the leading edge alot more plus the top of the left edge may need some building up to make it more aerodynamic. I'll just have to post some shots of it. I'm off on long weekend which is seven days so I have time to spend on it. I'll start today with the fuse and try to get some glue into the formers which look like they've been hot glued with a little fillet weld. I'll definately need more on the firewall and gear block. Was thinking about doing the Nave scheme like one I saw here but don't know if it's worth the trouble. As for the wing, it won't be a problem to pull back the cover again and work on it. I couldn't tell how bad it was till I ironed it down. Kinda like not seeing the defects in a body repair till the shiny paint is applied. I'll be back.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:18 AM
T.W.

I know exactly where you're coming from with this: "like not seeing the defects in a body repair till the shiny paint is applied." I have the same affliction

I look forward to seeing your pix - but most of all I look forward to hearing how you like the way she fly's when you're finished modifying

Tony
Old 10-29-2006, 05:22 PM
suitcase

I tried this before I left for church today but it timed out because I'm on dialup. Here's a pic. I have to send them separatly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92633.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	550650  
Old 10-29-2006, 05:43 PM
suitcase

another one do you think it's worth trying?

Name:	Bz77976.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	550687  
Old 10-29-2006, 05:46 PM
T.W.

That's sort-of "dolphin-shaped" isn't it. I wouldn't know how much difference this would make to the flying - but it has to work better than the original shape!

Tony
Old 10-29-2006, 07:17 PM
T.W.

My previous post "should" have appeared right after your first pic - but your second pic beat me to it! Even though your new leading edge looks a little out of shape, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it works better than the original wing. You may find that one panel provides more lift than the other, so you may need to set your ailerons a little off-centre to fly straigh and level. But I'd gues that you've still cured the bad stall. If it was me I'd fly it and see what happens - unless you think that you could get the leading edges to look about the same as each other - that would be a bonus

Tony
Old 10-31-2006, 01:21 PM
suitcase

After posting I went over to start working on it and actually pulled some of the covering back to start sanding but thought what the heck, I'll try it and see what happens. I took a pencil and drew a leading edge on the end of the wing as you saw it and it would take a considerable amount of sanding to get it down to where it should be. I went ahead and installed the ailerons and sealed the gaps. Installed the elevator and rudder and the ele servo. I'm using Hitec HS 5645 digitals on the tail surfaces and HS 645s on the wings. This is the lightest plane I've ever built.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:07 PM
T.W.

Keep us posted - we will be really interested to hear how your Funtana flies with the leading edge shown in your pix. Good luck with it

Tony
Old 11-01-2006, 08:23 AM
matt29

Just like to say thanks to T.W. I hated my funtana x 50 untill I found this thread. I cant wait to modify my wing!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:31 AM
T.W.

Hi Matt - I remember reading your thread titled "I hate my funtana x 50" - and by now I can "almost" guarantee that you'll love flying it after modding your wing! At least I know that mine is a joy to fly now, whereas it was a lot worse than an absolute pig originally. Others have reported exactly the same results too, so if you want to have my "how I did the wing mod" illustrated guide just send me an email address and I'll send it to you by return. Come back and tell us how you get-on with the mod etc

Regards,
Tony
Old 11-01-2006, 02:56 PM
matt29

Thanks T.W. my e-mail is [email protected]
Old 11-01-2006, 04:08 PM
T.W.

It's on the way Matt

Tony
Old 11-03-2006, 08:59 PM
suitcase

Hey T. I just posted on the Twist thread about this plane. I have two wings in my garage given to me by a friend. One funtana and one twist. Both are damaged and it looks like I have enough material left to end up with a shape almost like the twist. With one laying on top of the other it's plane to see the differece. The twist is actually a bit thicker at it's thickest point than the funtana. Yet the funtana's leading edge on the end is much more blunt. It's a really wierd looking wing.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:49 AM
T.W.

I'd like to see some pix showing a comparison between the two wing's aerofoils . . . . come to think about it I also have a Funtana and Twist! Never thought to compare them. Must go and check this out - but then again the wings are so different in other ways too, aren't they!

Tony
Old 11-04-2006, 01:25 PM
agbjarn

ORIGINAL: T.W.

Agust, if you're still looking-in: I contacted Alasdair Sutherland following your mention (post #179) of him having expressed his dislike for "thick tips" in his column in RCMW. I told him about my experiences with the Funtana's wing - and about how this thread gave me the "cure," by way of doing the wing mod. Alasdair has since written back to say that he'd like to make mention this thread in a future column. So thanks to you quoting his article, he will now quote our own. RCU's great, init!

Tony
Tony: I have not checked in here for some time. I always look forward to see Alasdair´s column in RCMW. I received the December issue yesterday which has a picture of some of my friends on page 35, with a large Sopwith Pup one of them brought to Cosford last summer all the way from Iceland. I was there in 2005 and shot some pictures: http://brunnur.rt.is/ahb/photoalbum/cosford-2005/

Agust

Old 11-04-2006, 03:06 PM
T.W.

Agust: Thanks for sharing your pix. Looks like the weather was great (sunmmer is starting to seem like a distant memory now!). I'll look-out for your friends whenever I buy my copy of the mag - I keep telling myself that I'm going to stop buying them, seeing as I've taken them for so many years now. But it makes no difference as I always buy them in the end . . . . I'm starting to think that I've somehow become as addicted to mags as I am to flying!

Tony
Old 11-04-2006, 06:43 PM
old bird

I thought I'd join in here as I have just had three flying sessions with my new (to me) Funtana 40. I have read this entire thread and want to thank everyone who has contributed all the tips and techniques about this plane. I confess that I am not a 3D pilot yet and this is my first real aerobatic type plane. I was really dreading the first test flight after reading all the bad press. It looks like I have lucked out as this is one sweet flying airplane, not one of the BAD ones. The first flight I took her up high to test the stall characteristics, no bad habits at all. At a throttle setting just above idle the plane will just mush along with no tendancy to tip stall, and still with full aileron control. I was scared to death of those giant ailerons but they work GREAT at near-zero airspeed. The wing on my Funtana has the very blunt leading edge, approaching flat in some places, yet the plane flies great. I can detect by eyeballing the tips that my wing has some obvious wash-out at the tips, maybe this is taming the stall characteristcs. It slows down and lands like a butterfly, some times the tail-wheel touches first. I have never seen this with any of my other planes. For the plane not to stall at such a high angle of attack tells me that all is well with the slow-speed aerodynamics. I have the control throws set low for now and have not attempted any stall type maneuvers but I will be dialing the throws up gradually. I am using a Saito .72, 15% nitro and our field is at 5000'. Not unlimited vertical but enough for now. I really like this plane.

Best regards from old bird.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:14 AM
agbjarn

Here is a video of Funtana 40 flying 3D with a Saito 82 in high wind:

"AnnMarie Cross provides a video presentation of this exciting 3D performer, and its flawless performing powerplant".
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547386
Old 11-05-2006, 05:19 AM
T.W.

That's great news Old Bird, I'm really glad you got a "good 'un," but I wonder if this means that the latest batch of Funtana's are all going to be of the "good" variety? I hope so, as I wouldn't wish a "poor-flying" Funtana (like mine was originally) on anyone. I just took another critical look at the wing on my model - and there's no sign of any wash-out. Wonder what's going on

Tony
Old 11-05-2006, 02:41 PM
suitcase

Hello all, I'm not too savy about all this stuff like wash out and all but here's a pic of the Twist and Funtana wing I mentioned. I know my wing is kinda weird (pics above) but if it doesn't do well I'll peel 'er back and sand to the Twist shape. These are the two damaged wings I was talking about. The mods were made with two different pieces of stock given me by a friend and I'm surprised how different the hardness is of the two.

Name:	Nl29657.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	554734  
Old 11-05-2006, 03:13 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice video. I wish you would have done a few things besides hovering. In high wind the Funtana does great Walls and Elevators. Also thank you for not putting music to it. I hate it when I can't hear what the engine is doing because of the music.
Next time you fly it in high wind. The landing is a little easier if you will keep the power about 3 clicks above idle and fly it to the ground.

David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.