Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

50cc Ultimate ARF?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

50cc Ultimate ARF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:28 AM
azhar
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50cc Ultimate ARF?

Who makes a good Ultimate Bipe ARF for a 50cc engine?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:46 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 50cc Ultimate ARF?

Great Planes Ultimate 1.60 (actually a 30% plane I have one with a Brison 3.2 in it and it's a blast at 16lbs)

Wildhare Ultimate (Had one witha DA50 at 18lbs and it was a blast but heavy at 18lbs)
Old 07-26-2006, 11:52 AM
azhar

Bill,

is the GP ultimate a good fit for the DA 50? I mean, it is built for the OS 160, so I am just curious.

Azhar
Old 07-26-2006, 12:00 PM
bubbagates

I know of several flying them with the Da50. We have a huge thread on this plane over in the 3D forum. A Brison 3.2 is a 52cc engine.

I am actually planning on removing my Brison and replacing it with a DA50 since the Brison is giving me fits lately and needs to go back for repairs. I actually really like my Ultimate...but then I like every Ultimate I have ever flown

BTW, the recommended gas engine is a Fuji 43cc which is the same weight as a DA50 with everything attached
Old 07-26-2006, 12:15 PM
azhar

Thanks Bill, I will look into it. Th thread on the Ultimate is so large that it has become difficult to read. maybe a different thred is needed for those who have a 50cc engine on that bipe.

Azhar
Old 07-26-2006, 01:13 PM
bubbagates

No problem

I think you will find that the 3 most used engines in that thread are the BME50, the DA50 and the Brison3.2. With the odd ones being 2 with the Fuji43 that ended up getting replaced with DA50's. There have been glow engines mentioned with promises to report back but no one ever has.

Most of the first flights start around page 10. My maiden I think is on page 12

Just pop in and ask whatever you want to, normally it's a pretty decent bunch in there and we do understand it's a huge thread so no worries about that
Old 07-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Pilot232
My Feedback: (3)

Bill,

What do you think of a Dave Patrick Ultimate with a YS 1.40, no smoke. 13.2 lbs. I have one and love it. I have had 5 Goldberg kits
and love them.

Travis

P.S. My Sukhoi is comming along nicely. Should be ready to fly in a couple of weeks. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:17 PM
bubbagates

Never had the DP Ultimate but I here they were pretty good. I did have the Goldberg Ultimate with a YS110 on it for my very first one and it was a blast to fly. I sold it to someone here on RCU and he loved it also. I bashed it a bit to move the elevator servos to the rear but that was it.

I think both are to small though for a 50cc engine. I'd bet a decent 50cc would remove the firewall from the plane when pulling out from a hover at full throttle [X(]

I'd love the hear how the Sukhoi comes out

Those that know me know I am a big Ultimate fan. My GP has well over 100 flights on it and my next favorite plane is the same version of the Cap232 with a DA50 in it.

Here is what I think of the Ultimate's

Big puddy tat on low rates
Big puddy tat with an attitude on high rates

The two I mentioned are about the most forgiving Ultimates I have ever flown though none have been really bad, but the 40 size ones can get a bit touchy at low speeds. Both need power to land as does any bipe. Both glide like a brick when dead stick so it's important to have a good reliable engine on it. The brison has been until recently and I have a spare DA50 that has never given me so much as a hiccup looking for a good home.

That glide like a brick has it's plusses when landing into a wind as you can come in hot and high, chop power and let it sink right down, flair and grease it in
Old 07-26-2006, 07:05 PM
torqmeister

There is a formula for the state of the art 50cc aerobatic airplane. Here it is: 1450 sq in & 15-16 lbs. if you want the ultimate combination of sequence flying & 3D capability, there is no alternative. If you are in the market for a high performance 50cc plane, you have to narrow your field to those planes that fit the formula.

IMHO, the mass merchandisers, such as Great Planes & Horizen Hobbies, offer the 70 - 80 in planes is because of pure numbers( mass appeal ). The number of engine possibilities is endless for these planes. The market for a pure 50cc plane is much smaller. Sooooooo, where do they invest their $. This is not meant to flame them, it's just the way it is, it' just business. Case in point, before the new 50cc era, the GP Patty Wagstaff (1135 sq in @ 16 lbs) with a 50cc engine was the cat's meow. I know, I had one. Today, if you want a high performance plane, it is not an option.

Now to answer your specific question, World Models 50cc Ultimate fits the formula: 1450 sq in @ 15 lbs, with a Brison 3.2.

My .02.
ORIGINAL: azhar

Who makes a good Ultimate Bipe ARF for a 50cc engine?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Question?

If your World Models Ultimate is good with a 25oz wing loading, why wouldn't the GP Cap 232 be good with the same wing loading? It looks like the wing loading would be the same. Why would one fly better than the other with a 50CC engine?

Thanks
Barry
Old 07-27-2006, 05:48 AM
bubbagates

I have the GP Cap232, the new one and I can tell you that it floats big time. I had a dead stick when I had the fuji43 in it and it floated 600 feet right down the runway and into the high grass at the end and by the time it got to the end I could almost walk right next to it. The normal snappiness does not exist as long as you stay at book throughs and BTW, I have a Da50 in mine and it weighs 13.75lbs. Need I say more????
Old 07-27-2006, 03:22 PM
torqmeister

I saw the review in Fly RC, it seems like they have taken a step forward. I guess old dogs can learn new tricks.
ORIGINAL: bubbagates

I have the GP Cap232, the new one and I can tell you that it floats big time. I had a dead stick when I had the fuji43 in it and it floated 600 feet right down the runway and into the high grass at the end and by the time it got to the end I could almost walk right next to it. The normal snappiness does not exist as long as you stay at book throughs and BTW, I have a Da50 in mine and it weighs 13.75lbs. Need I say more????
Old 07-27-2006, 03:40 PM
bubbagates

It seems the performance series aircraft they are producing is well worth it. As I mentioned before I have the same series of the Ultimate and it's the same way. It needed hardly any changes, the CG in the book is right where it needs to be. I hear the Yak they have it also as nice but I have never flown it so I cannot give anyone first hand knowledge
Old 08-06-2006, 11:40 PM
dubd

The only downside to the GP Ultimate is that it is ugly IMO. The gold trim and stars are such a turn off.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:29 AM
bubbagates

The stars do not have to be applied and I do agree they are ugly. Another member came up with some trim schemes using some "bling". Look at the review for this plane here on RCU and you will see what I mean. He did the exact same set for me

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=636