Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Cub wing strut question

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Cub wing strut question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 06:35 AM
CB36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Cub wing strut question

Hi all;
I'm finally wraping up my H9 Cub ARF, (not PNP), and have a question on the wing struts.

After installing the wing, I find that the two main struts that attach to the fuse require "spreading" to align with the holes in the fuse lug. Some force is required, as the adjustable ends on the struts sit on top of each other. Does anybody have this with theirs?

Another thought: this is starting to look like a very unforgiving plane in the event of a crash; there's lots of stuff to rip off! I'm wondering if Horizon stocks parts?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2006, 08:40 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: H9 Cub wing strut question

I sanded both struts to an angle and glued together where they were one at the fuse. Much easier than overlapping.
Some in my club have flown without the struts and two of them cartwheeled on take off, doing major damage to the wing mount area. I think this would have been prevented with the extra strut strength.
Mine has not suffered damage, so I can't speak of replacement parts from Horizon. As with almost all ARF's, replacement parts are only a few dollars less than a complete new plane.

About the only ways you can crash a Cub is if you don't have a little toe-in in the gear to prevent sharp ground pull left /right and pulling up too early before it's ready to fly on takeoff. They will snap before you can correct.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:19 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree the main struts require some force to get them to "arrive" at the mounting bracket. One of my struts could not be shortened enough to hit the hole so I just drilled another hole. I was worried all of the twisting and forcing would throw the incidence out of whack, but a check with the meter showed it didn't affect anything. I have flown mine and the only trim adjustment was a little down on the elevator so all is well with the wings and struts. Cubs can get to be a little squirrelly on TO and landing, especially in a cross wind so know your rudder well!
Old 07-31-2006, 03:04 PM
BillPTC

I thought I had put them on backwards and changed them around. The instructons where correct and changed them back.
The SECRET is put then together BUT do not tighten the bolts. They will then hock up correctly to mount and then tighten up the bolts. No force required
After two nights it does work.
Bill
Old 08-01-2006, 12:40 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly mine without the struts. I fly off water on heavy floats. It would look better with struts but I don't think they would last on the water. The wings are strong even with a couple pounds of float hanging below.