Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

AK-Models Gee Bee 120 info help

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

AK-Models Gee Bee 120 info help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AK-Models Gee Bee 120 info help

My brother is looking in to gettinfg this plane. Does anybody have any info on the plane? Building and flying info would be greatly appreciated.

http://ak-models.com/geebee120.htm

thanks
Smokey
Old 08-10-2006, 01:31 AM
Rube Goldberg

Default RE: AK-Models Gee Bee 120 info help

Smokey,

I bought the 120 size Gee Bee at the same time as the Long EZ 46; I've completed the Long EZ and have been participating in that thread (Long EZ engine mounting discussion) for the past week or so.

On to the Gee Bee. And the #1 concern I have is the location of the CG. The manual states the CG should be 130 mm back from the leading edge of the wing. Now this model has a 71" span, and is extremely similar to the 68" span Great Planes Gee Bee....but the specs for that one say to balance at 70mm from the leading edge of the wing?? I've searched high and low here on the forums and have yet to find any "real world experiences" with this model.....and at about $150 for a 120 size Gee Bee, I should think it would be VERY popular!

The search continues. If anybody can point me the right direction,
THANKS and speak up!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

Rube...thanks for the information. What do you think of the build quality? Are the included hardware useable?

thanks
Smokey
Old 08-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Rube Goldberg

Smokey,

Overall I would say it is nicely done. I do have some issues with the paint having hairline cracks and one spot about the size of a cigarette butt where the paint has flaked off the fiberglass fuselage above the stabilizer...it is very very flexible at the tail (realize I haven't yet put it together and the stab should stiffen things up) and it just looks like they flat ran out of white paint on this one. I'm currently trying to work things out with the distributor.
As for the hardware kit, I haven't paid much attention to it. Probably the same as the rest of the discount ARFs---use some of it but replace a bunch of it.
When you are used to flying the typical 40 size planes, this thing is HUGE! I'm not real crazy about how they pack the kit. The kit box IS inside a shipping box, but there is no bubble wrap/foam protection on the ends of the box---one end is the tail, the other end is the cowling, with a bit of foam in between the fuselage and the cowling. The wings and the stab are packed in a "tray" atop the fuselage/cowl. So when the Fed Ex dude heaves the package around---and trust me, the ends of the boxes will have an accordian shape to them----I can see where they would have problems with the shippers.
I imagine I'll have to drill out the wheels to fit the landing gear wire just like I had to do with the Long EZ----with the exception that on this one I'll find a drill press in order to avert the off centered wobbly wheels I have on the Long EZ. What can I say....character?
Otherwise, I'd definitely buy another one. You could probably tell the wife you bought a new refrigerator and she wouldn't question it when the box shows up at your door!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:33 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rube,
Try a prop ream on those wheels. Works like a champ.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:09 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Guys there is an older thread on this model... Look under KMP GEE BEE... It's the same model. I have 2 of them... It flys very well... only problem I have is landing on grass the wheel pants catching and fliping over... My first one I trimed up the wheel pants and end of problem... There are some mods to do... A 120 FS is enough power to fly the plane but you will have to load the nose with lead. My second one I am putting a 25 cc gasser in it... or a 40 cc brison. Havent decided which one yet. Change the hardware... you can not just use the wood dowel rod to the runner and elevator.... it will flex and give you flutter. I cut back the covering put wood blocks in the foam and made a second leg off the main that went to the rear of the wing for extra support. This plane is the same as CMP or the one that sell on ebay for $100 bucks.

PS the Great Planes model is totally different...

Pic of me with mine and my friends Great planes Gee bee you can see how much bigger the one I have is...

OH YEA HAD to add this... DON'T START at 130mm from leading edge... Most said it was a nightmare to fly... Start with 70-80mm Tail heavy GEE BEE is no fun... I know from experience...

If you have any questions feel free to ask away...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42468.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	509839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96093.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	509840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76122.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	509841  
Old 08-19-2006, 10:29 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

figured I would add a few pics of my Kyosha Gee ... Love to fly this little one too...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11814.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	509854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60885.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	509855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79682.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	89.8 KB