Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ARF Modifications (?)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ARF Modifications (?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Warning
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARF Modifications (?)

I know when alot of people get new planes . . .the plane isn’t up to that particular persons expectations . . . so I was wondering what alot of you modeler's do to your planes . . .

Here is what I always start out with . . .
1) I always get bigger wheels ( my field is hilly so little wheels dont work)
2) New hardware
3) Tail wheel assembly
4) Reinforce high stress points

What do you all do?
Old 07-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ARF Modifications (?)

If I were ever to do another ARF (really bad taste in my mouth after the first), I would probably strip the covering and reglue every joint. I would also replace the fuel tank with a know good one.

Your replacement of hardware is a must. I also pulled the blind nuts for the wing mount and drilled and tapped for 1/4-20 so I could use nylon wing bolts. I also installed blind nuts for engine and front langing gear mounts. The wood screws were going to stick into the fuel tank.

As it turned out, that didn't stop the fuel tank from splitting at the bung hole. Build in a good tank to start with. When repairing the damage from the ruptured tank, I found that the adhesive used for glueing the plane together isn't very strong. It took me about 15 seconds to pull the fuselage floor off to get into the tank area, and there was no loss of wood on either side of the joints. I just stuck an Xacto blade in and cut it open about like cutting the plastic seal out of a bucket of cottage cheese. I scrapped as much glue off the wood as I could, but I'm afraid that the stuff isn't well glued now with CA as there was a residual of old glue.

This experience with my first ARF will cause it to be my last. I would rather scratch build or start from a good kit. At least you know how it is going together.

Don
Old 07-29-2006, 06:56 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the first things I do is strengthen the landing gear block. Almost every ARF I have ever done needs that.. I wick some CA into everywhere I can get to, pin the firewall (I tend to overpower things), seal down all the covering. In most cases I'll upgrade some or all of the hardware but the better manufacturers are getting better at providing decent hardware

I tend to be very careful about the ARF's I buy. I do a lot of research and download the manuals if at all possible. I have come across 3 planes so far that needed very little. They are the Great Planes Ultimate 1.60, the Great Planes Cap232 1.60 and the Aeroworks Yak. I use all of the stock hardware on the Yak and only replaced the control rods on the Cap and Ultimate. The Cap has well over 50 flights and the Ultimate has well over 100 flights and all are holding up well
Old 07-29-2006, 07:02 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I frequently pour a bunch of epoxy in the firewall area and let the plane (fuse) sit face down overnight. And yes, the landing gear area usually needs some additional 'attention'. I hate it when mfg. use Lite ply for LG! Maybe they think we can grease 'em in all the time

Hardware - sometimes replace it. CG Pitts Monster had excellent hardware as does my H9 P-47 (150)....GOTTA JUDGE FOR YOURSELF!

Jerry