Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Christain Eagle help

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Christain Eagle help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 07:30 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Great Planes Christain Eagle help

I searched an no other post stated anything im looking for, so here is my question. Im need some info from someone that has this kit and put a DA 50 gas engine on it. I want to know if u had to cut the cowl up to give clearance for the engine head. I had a Fuji 50 on mine and it fit inside the cowl, but sine the fuji didnt have enough power or either it was a crappy engine, im switching to a DA 50. So if any has the plane with a DA 50 on and can tell me specifics I would much app it

Also did u have to add a lot of weight to make up for the lighter engine?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:16 PM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Christain Eagle help

If the Fuji 50 wouldnt fly that plane, you obviously had some engine problems. I've personally seen the GP Christen Eagle, as well as the GP Pitts fly with the Fuji engine with no problems. Granted, the Fujis do have their problems, and they are heavy, but they WILL fly this plane. I think you will have to cut the cowl to clear the cylinder on the DA. The Fuji has a side mounted carb, so it mounts closer to the firewall, eliminating the need to cut the cowl. The DA has a rear mounted carb and has to mount further away from the firewall in order for the carb to clear.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:31 PM
dlwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to cut the cowl a slight amount to clear the head and plug. not a major deal. Need 2 3/4
in stand offs to get the correct prop spaceing. Used a slimline Pitts muffler, standard DA muffler requires major surgery.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:02 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

thanks guys maybe I should contact fuji about my engine then. Since it didnt have the power to do anything much []
Old 12-25-2008, 06:58 PM
flyjay77

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Brison 2.4 fits nice and works well , its the bigest thing I could fit , 52cc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95435.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1096531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29134.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1096532  
Old 12-26-2008, 07:55 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

thanks guys maybe I should contact fuji about my engine then. Since it didnt have the power to do anything much []
It is just Fuji. I had the same problem. It had the Fuji in it when I bought it (the guy didn't like the performance and neither did I). Fuji overstates the CCs on their engines so they aren't as large in the first place as you're led to believe, and they are heavier than others in the class. My guess is your engine is doing all it can. I wouldn't use a Fuji in any aerobatic plane, period. The Eagle needs more power to perform like an Eagle should. I went to the FPE 3.4 and had wonderful results. I also fly the DL 50 and am very impressed. The DA 50 will be like night and day for you in that plane. No comparison the the Fugi. Have fun.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:58 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The Brison 2.4 is not 52cc, it is 40cc (actually 39cc). The 52cc is the 3.2.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:48 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a pitts with a G45 in it, everything fit inside really well, the only thing you have to do is get the venturi extension for the carb, it helps by keeping a clean flow of air going into the carb. The cowl tends to be in a vacuum and causes carb issues.