Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

vmar beaver engine mounting?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

vmar beaver engine mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:02 PM
kneewhack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vmar beaver engine mounting?

I'm having a problem mounting an os .61fx on a Vmar 45-60 Beaver. I know it's a Vmar so I didn't expect much, but I plan to put floats on this thing and I think it needs the 61 to fly off water. No measurement is given for the firewall to thrust washer, but the 61 is not even close close to fitting. It looks like it's going to have 3/4 of an inch sticking out of the cowl with the engine mounted as far back on the rails as it will go. I've trashed the junk metal mount they provide and plan on using a gp plastic mount. Has anyone mounted a .61 in one of these and if so how did you get it to fit in the cowl? It looks to me like even a .46 will stick out the front more than I'd llike to see.

Hurry - the summers are short up here!
Old 07-31-2006, 10:26 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: vmar beaver engine mounting?

Please post a photo of what you got so far. We then can help you more. Thanks Capt,n
Old 08-01-2006, 10:28 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a mount that is two separate "T" shaped beams with nothing connecting the rear of the two pieces. That will allow you to move the engine back about 1/2" further than the GP mount. Many ARFs use the two piece mounts and I think you can get an aluminum one from Sig or Hanger 9.

That won't leave room for the fuel lines to come out behind the engine, so switch to a Dubro, GP or Hayes tank and bring the fuel lines out alongthe outside of the mount instead of in the middle of the firewall.

Jim
Old 08-01-2006, 02:14 PM
kneewhack

Even with a 2 piece mount there is not enough clearance for the .61. They rate this plane for a 46 to 60 engine, but I don't see any way to get a 60 in there. It may have to do with the goofy detachable firewall they use. Thanks for the help guys - I changed to magnum 52 2 stroke and mounted it as far back as I could on a 2 piece mount. Had to bring the fuel lines out next to mount as suggested. Still not really enough clearance, but it will work. I hope the 52 is enough motor for this thing. I believe it's going to turn out to weigh close to 7.5 lbs on floats. Thanks again. (NO MORE VMAR FOR ME) .
Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just mount the thing inverted and lower the fuel tank and you should have not issues. By the way , I lived their in Anchorage for 3 years. As I recall, a nice summer day was a high of 60 degrees
Old 08-02-2006, 01:21 PM
kneewhack

Inverted mount will not work - no clearance for muffler. I don't see how being upside down would change the firewall to thrust washer measurement. I've got it mounted at 90 degrees with a pitts mufller out the bottom. I'm using a 2 peice mount with the backplate of the motor about 1/8 inch from the firewall. This leaves the prop 1/4 inch from the front of the cowl. I'm beginning to think they put the wrong cowl in this kit. By the way it was 62 degrees here yesterday. (Let me say this one more time - no more VMAR). Way too many issues with this thing.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:04 PM
JS615

Have you contacted richmond rc about this problem? Maybe they can help you. I own several vmar products and when i had a issue with one i just got in contact with them and they helped, and took care of the problem,, and i will say that the problems i have had have been far and few between, i have had very good luck out of their planes!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 03:38 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That beaver looks good in the ads.