Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

More Decathlon flying...

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

More Decathlon flying...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Fastsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Decathlon flying...

Had a chance to get out and fly the Decathlon from Phoenix again. The take off was "interesting and scary!" I was adding a bit of up elevator to keep the tail down and as soon as it gained speed I guess it was a bit too much as it caused a premature take off followed by some wild stick movements on my part trying to get the plane level. Good thing there was enough power and the plane managed to straighten out and climb like a scalded bat! The plane is easy to fly once its off the ground. Rolls like a bullet very easily and axial without losing altitude. The elevator was set per the manual and looks rather excessive. The landing was fine after a 10 minute flight. I moved the clevice out one notch on the elevator and took off after refueling. This takeoff was much better and I still had lots of throw. I tried flying inverted and it was too touchy to keep level flight, still too much elevator. After this flight I moved the clevise out to the last hole in the control arm. Ahh! Much better! Take offs are still a bit twichy with the ground steering but the elevator is now behaving like it should. The plane is now a blast to fly and the other flyers fun watching it. A guy that just passed his wings test a few weeks ago and was flying an LT40 was watching and made the commen "its sure not a trainer!"
Old 08-01-2006, 07:09 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: More Decathlon flying...

Hey Fast, maybe it's a tad tail heavy?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Fastsky

I am sure that the cg is a bit nose down which based on my other planes seems to work the best for me. I did have to add about 3 oz. in the very end of the tail to get it that way as it was very nose heavy from the factory. Also the elevator isn't just a strip on the end of the stab, its wide and also the outside edges by about 2" are all part of the elevator. Add to that about a 1" throw both up and down and you could see why it was too much (at least for me)! [X(]
Old 08-01-2006, 08:12 PM
IronCross

Really a fun plane isn't it... I have a Saito .56 in my present one... It is great for scale flying... I am putting together a second on with an inverted .72 in it... Looking for a little bit more power... I find I have to land mine with 2 or 3 clicks on the throttle and then chop it as it touches down... When I cut the throttle it drops... I get a real nice bounce if I am a little too high.. I hold a little up elevator on mine when taking off and then releasing it as soon as it has enough speed to lift the tail... Works pretty good for me...
Old 08-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Fastsky

The plane is a real blast to fly!! You are right about the plane likeing a bit of speed to land. The plane is heavy for its size and needs some speed to remain controllable. I tried some slow flight and the ailerons became ineffective. I found 2 ways to land it, 1. keep some throttle on like you said, or 2. throttle back but let it come down in a high speed turn from a good altitude letting the plane build up some speed and then when I level it at about 6' high over the runway I level off and it has enough speed to land with out needing to touch the throttle. I land my Sea Fury 60 this way. That makes it easy to land if the engine quits because I am used to landing without throttle any way! [8D]
Old 08-01-2006, 09:46 PM
IronCross

Your mention of ailerons reminds me I put some differential in the ailerons also.. I found on mine that at lower speeds when banking like on the turn for the last leg on a landing the nose wants to go up.. Not having that much experiance with coordinated turns I gave it some down elevator which changed the whole diriction the plane was traveling... Got a little ugly for a couple of moments... Should have used the rudder... Anyway I put differential in using the End Points on my 9C... Now on low rates for example I have 5/8 inch up and 3/8 inch down on the ailerons.. Makes beautiful bank turns now... Problem didn't show up or I didn't notice it at higer speeds.. Just gets better and better
Old 08-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Fastsky

Thankx for the info! I was flying mine today and found the same thing about the nose wanting to go up on the turns! I will try adding differential like you did nd see how it goes. I have finally got the takeoffs nailed down. No more swerving all over the runway. What engine prop combo are you using?? I have an ASP Super 52 two stroke with an APC 11-5 prop. Tons of power and speed spinning at just under 13,500 rpm. [8D]
Old 08-03-2006, 08:33 AM
IronCross

Yea, that differential sure made my turns easier... I have a Saito .56 in mine running a 13X4 APC on it... It flys real nice.. I am building a second one and puting a Saito .72 in it inverted... I want to try it with a little more power I think I am becoming addicted to this plane... Time for Decathlon anonamous (sp) I guess . Would like to set one up on floats too....
Old 08-03-2006, 12:17 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

am putting together a second on with an inverted .72 in it... Looking for a little bit more power...
I've got a saito 72 in mine and using a 13x6 APC. Takeoffs without the struts are quick and in the air it is a very capable aerobat. Put the struts on and man, what a difference. It flys so much slower- landings, flying, takeoffs are much more scale. I really like the plane and have floats for it as well.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:20 PM
IronCross

That's interesting about the struts... I have never flown mine without... I have them bolted to the fusalage and use small ball links to just sanp them on the wings... So quick and easy I always use them... Maybe going to have to try it without them
Old 08-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Fastsky

I read how the struts were a bit of a pain to hook up unless the hookups were modified so have never bothered trying them. I also hate having extra gizmos to hook up. I just want to get the wing on and get flying. [8D]
Old 08-04-2006, 08:20 AM
jzinckgra

I read how the struts were a bit of a pain to hook up unless the hookups were modified
Nah, they are easy to set up, but they do contribute a lot of drag. You should try with and without. I was amazed at the difference.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:31 AM
IronCross

I like the looks of the struts on a slow low flyby... Alsmost looks like the real thing With the ball joints they just snap on and off... Only takes a few seconds... Drag is another issue though..
Old 08-04-2006, 11:26 AM
jzinckgra

Ironcross,
You got pics of the ball joint setup? tx.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 AM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: jzinckgra

Ironcross,
You got pics of the ball joint setup? tx.
No pictures but here are the ball links..
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXK093]Ball Links[/link]

The ball frits right on to the brass posts probided, The plastic part replaces the flimsy clievis provided and the two snap on and off.. Didn't use the brass couplers provided...
Hope that helps......
IC