Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

WM Dago Red weak landing gear?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

WM Dago Red weak landing gear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:58 AM
JIMARRINGTON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WM Dago Red weak landing gear?

I have a WM Dago Red that I bend the landing gear on every flight. Last flight, they bent from giving rudder on take off roll. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to strengthen them?

Thanks
Jim
Old 08-07-2006, 12:25 PM
grayle

Default RE: WM Dago Red weak landing gear?

Replace with aluminum gear or reinforce with some carbon fiber rods. A guy at the field has the wm LA FLYER and he is having the same problems, every time he lands the gear gives so much the prop hits the ground and kills the motor.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:43 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

I replaced the stocks with B&D retracts, which I believe are 3/16" diam. My problem is getting the plane to slow down enough, so I keep bending the gear on every landing. It's getting to be a PITA, but I know I can slow her down more than I have been, so for me, it's more practice. I was thinking of robostruts, but those are a little more $$$ then I am willing to spend. One guy at the field suggested I just drill the retracts out and stick 1/4" diam steel rod, without the loop. I am a little hesitant to do this, but w/out the loop, wouldn't there be an increase chance for ripping the gear out?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:51 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

If thats 60 size I replaced my Hangar 9 junk gear with a set of ARF retracts from http://www.franktiano.com the web site says for the 1.50 but they drop right into the 60. All machined mechanicals with no problems for the last 20 flights or so.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:40 PM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: grayle

Replace with aluminum gear or reinforce with some carbon fiber rods. A guy at the field has the wm LA FLYER and he is having the same problems, every time he lands the gear gives so much the prop hits the ground and kills the motor.
Interesting... What aluminum gear would you replace the retracts with ?... How would you add carbon fiber rods ?... I just learned to make softer landings with mine and the stock ones did pretty good.. I am landing on a paved surface though...
Old 08-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Woody 51

Seems this is an issue that is found across the WM range. I am on my 2nd WM Super Sports 40 and the wire landing gear that comes in the kit is far too thin for the rigours of grass field use.
Fortunately the substitute gear on my 1st SS40 (Dubro nose leg and mains from an old, long deceased Phoenix Models Scanner) survived the demise of that model and is now doing service on my new one. I just had to dremel out the grooves on the underside of the wing, to take the thicker wire (ex Phoenix) main legs.
I also added a nylon block under the egnine mount, for additional support for the nose leg.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:00 PM
IronCross

T-34 gear is pretty sturdy and fits (have to widen the slots) the super sport real good.. Lots of T-34 gear laying around here with pylon racing and all
Old 08-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind or surface do you guys land on, cobble? We have asphalt but I have had WM planes for years and no real issues on the struts. I did replace the struts on a 60 size P-51 with home-made 3/16. Hold up real good. Just bought some 3/16 steel rod. Put a 1/4 inch bolt in a vise and heated up the rod and bent it around the bolt for a perfect spring. Then cut to fit and drilled out the retract and put it in.

Not much skill needed and can be done completely by accident if necessary.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:40 PM
IronCross

I land on ashphalt I bent the nose gear on the SuperSport just starting the engine... Very weak... On the Dago it seems like it only takes one hard landing... Once the gear has been bent it has a weak spot... Not all my landings are greased in...
Old 08-07-2006, 08:46 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had WM P-51 (46 size) with retracts that bent on every landing. I replaced them with retracts from my expired WM P-51. Problem went away. I suspect the retract wire that was bending was not manufactured the same as the better gear.

Brian
Old 08-08-2006, 12:19 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll probably have to bend some new struts if you want to keep the stock gear. A friend had one (had one [X(]) that he made new struts for out of 5/32 music wire, and they held up well...(better than the rest of the plane )

I fly off grass with mine, and occaisonally need to bend mine back...yes BACK because the angle they're at, they bend foreward if I go over the bumps too fast, so...I have learned that I can slow it down much slower than I had been. I have been flying mine for 3 years w/ the stock gear / struts...

It really has more of a sport plane airfoil (not a race airfoil ) so you can slow it down surprisingly without it doing anything nasty.