Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Im gonna get a cub but which one.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Im gonna get a cub but which one.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 05:02 PM
HitecMan
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im gonna get a cub but which one.

I am either gonna get the GP cub or the hanger 9 cub. They will be powered by a ST GS 40 with pitts. Will this engine be enough? I can also sell this engine and get another. i would like to use a pitts mufller on what ever i choose so the engine will be concealed. I want to get the best flying one. Also this could possibaly be my first float plane. Would this be a good choice. i have been flying for awhile so experience is not a problem. (except on floats). Any help would be great.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:08 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Im gonna get a cub but which one.

HitecMan:

The only real difference is the gloss finish on the H9 or the matte fabric look of the GP.
There's a RCU rule that you can not put a 2 stroker in a Cub. Save the whinny scream for the yank and crank style planes.
Before I traded my H9 off, I had many many flights with a TT 54 4 stroke and it was scale speed at half stick. The ST 40 should do fine if you must.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:43 PM
HitecMan

Your right i should put a four stroke in there. Whats the best one to put on there? I dont have tons of money but i love dependablitty,
Old 08-12-2006, 07:55 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Go for the H-9 Cub and stick something in the upper .60 to .70 range in it. The scale detail is nicer on the H-9 (plastic covering excepted) and a .70 will give more than adequate power for float flying. I have the older H-9 Cub with a .72 Saito and GP 40-size floats, makes a great combo.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:56 PM
HitecMan

what about a magnum 70? i just dont think i can offord os.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:57 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Magnum's four strokes are excellent.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:20 PM
HitecMan

Good it will be awhile and i will have to sell some stuff first.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:31 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the price of the OS70FL 4stroke.

I just bought one for less than a buddy paid for a Magnum 71 4stroke.

Just checked Tower's prices and the two engines are priced the same. $180.00

I just fuelproofed the inside of my WM 46size Cub. It's a blue/white clipped wing. I'm putting the OS70FL in it. Good ARF so far. Engine promises to be good too.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:49 PM
HitecMan

Whats float flying like im gonna get used to the plane on land and then i will take it on the water. We have some float flys coming up.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let any Cub fool you by thinking, "high wing with a small fourstroke" Cubs have bad habits. I have seen many a seasoned pilot stuff one and they "didn't do anything at all!" They were just tooling along and the next thing ya know, thats all she wrote. Talk to guys who fly them before you just take off.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:03 PM
HitecMan

I have heard groud tracking might be hard. but a still hand on the rudder should do the trick.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:34 PM
HitecMan

Is there any diffrence in flying? Scale isnt to important to me.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:06 PM
bluemagic98

The CUB often called the trainer that will almost kill you in the full scale world. I am a fair pilot and i will always own a cub. yes they have bad habits they fly well at flying speeds trouble is on a full winged cub they will fly before they are at flying speeds. Reason being is the tail moment is short and the rudder authority id deminished till its up to speed. with the main gear neer the CG she will nose over if not carefull and engine torque or P factor is a issue. Gradual throttle up and letting the tail rise befor flying speed and lots of rudder are a must to keep it under control resiste the urge to correct a heading change on takeoff with the alierons and contine to use the rudder will allso help. I have had 2 great planes CUB's and loved them both Ive seen them fly with OS 46 2 strokes and they actually will fly slower due to the lighter motor but how slow do you want to fly? I have ussed a OS70 on both my great plane Cub's this motor has enough power to hold the cub in a knife edge from horizon to horizon not that a cub is ment for that. I put my battery under the rear wing mount where the wing bolts go this makes for a better balance for my style of flying. I also want to warn you the great planes fabric looks great but after a few days of flying it gets pretty dirty If you use and harsh cleaners it will start to look pretty dingy. I fly mine several times a week and tou can see everything collects to it. Myself i think it looks authentic when you consider what real Cub's look like no one has a perfectly clean Cub arnt they all old farmers planes in the bush?

Get the OS they run good out of the box I hate tunning a magnum till you have it all broke in and by then you want to sell it cuz its dead sticked you 100 times. Im just kidding im sure all engine makers have made great engines Ive only seen or worked with a few magnums and i havent been impressed but they where all brandy new. OD 70 surpass or a saito the OS 70fl is like there LA engines in my book low maintenance not the best performance If your going to fly off water you will need the power.

a couple of photos and a video of a old bulsa usa 109" gas powered one

http://www.rivervalleyflyers.com/photos/img80.html

[link=http://www.rivervalleyflyers.com/photos/img80.html]109"[/link]

http://www.rivervalleyflyers.com/photos/image25.html

what you can do if you break your cub. i cut the cabin out after a small misshap lol
http://www.rivervalleyflyers.com/photos/img31.html

Good luck with your Cub

Old 08-14-2006, 03:02 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

Don't let any Cub fool you by thinking, "high wing with a small fourstroke" Cubs have bad habits. I have seen many a seasoned pilot stuff one and they "didn't do anything at all!" They were just tooling along and the next thing ya know, thats all she wrote. Talk to guys who fly them before you just take off.

---------

I like the Goldberg Cub ARF. Why? Because it utilizes strip ailerons (non scale) instead of barn door ailerons (scale). The strip ailerons provide much better low speed control and do not as readily stall the wing at low speeds.

What is so great about the Goldberg Cub? The way it flies. No nasty habits, no surprises and it takes off easy as pie, whether you are powering it with a .40 four-stroke, a .61 two-stroke, a .40 two-stroke or a .70 to .91 four-stroke. It flies great. I'm on my third or fourth (I built the kit first, then bought ARFs - I get bored after a while and sell them off to experience something new).

The two-stroke Super Tigre .40 is a perfect match for this model (any of the Cubs). Once airborne and throttled back, you won't be able to tell how many strokes the engine is utilizing to run. <G>

Fit the GS-40 with an 11x5 prop and go float flying. You'll love it.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:43 PM
HitecMan

To keep it sorta scale should i put a pitts muffler on it?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:53 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

HitecMan,
Something to keep in mind, if you are going to eventually use the Cub for float flying, is that the newer G.P. Cub ARF's have the rear float mount already built in for the G.P. floats (kit or fiberglass ones). The Great Planes fiberglass floats also come with the sub-fin made just for Cubs. I have had 3 of the GP 81" ARF Cubs and still am flying 2 of them. First one had a Saito .56 and it flew very nice, not a lot of extra power, but still very scale and NOT at full throttle all the time. Now I fly my wheels one with a Saito 60Twin (probably the same power as a .56 with a little more weight) and a float one with a Saito 90 Twin (love those cylinders sticking out each side). The float version flies very well also as the 90 Twin probably has the same power or a little less than a 70 four stroke. I don't know much about the H-9 Cub, but I'm sure it flies just as well. Good luck with you choice and have fun flying!

Russ
Old 08-14-2006, 07:36 PM
HitecMan

Yeah i belive im going with the GP. I think i will go with a OS 70.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:43 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: HitecMan

To keep it sorta scale should i put a pitts muffler on it?

----------

Sorry about that, you did ask that question.

I would use a Pitts style muffler on the GS-40. It will let you conceal most of the engine. Using the stock muffler would require an immense amount of cutting of the fuselage for clearance. It can be done, but it defeats the purpose of buying an ARF.

Don't be tempted to mount the engine inverted. It will run better in the side mounted position and the fuel tank will be at a perfect height for good fuel provision. Also, don't use larger than an 8 ounce fuel tank. Sometimes it is tempting to put a larger fuel tank in a model such as the Cub, because of all of that extra room. Without some form of fuel pressure and a regulation device, larger fuel tanks become problematic.

When airborne, or twenty feet away, you'll never know that the model is using non scale ailerons (if you opt for the best flying Cub, the Goldberg), but you will know it in how well it flies.

For float flying, stick with the plastic film covered ARFs. You don't need a covering that readily absorbs moisture.

Oh, and don't forget to ditch that ST glow plug after break-in, if you haven't as yet. An OS#8, or a clone of same, will work wonders for idle and transition with this engine.

Good luck.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:39 PM
jmikesh
My Feedback: (5)

vote for goldberg cub...built 4 ....sold em..or wrung them out....they fly great!!! might try the arf since I hate to build the gb cub...the kit is mediocre...but they fly so damn nice!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Ferki

My first glow plane was the new H9 80" cub. I got the Plug N Play version. The Evolution .46 has plenty of power, even for float flying. To me this cub does not seem hard to take off or land but you can tip stall it if you dont get it out of a stall real quick. Out of all the arf cubs out there it is probably the most scale, which is the reason I bought it.

Ferki
Old 08-17-2006, 12:11 AM
bluemagic98

ORIGINAL: Artisan

[
---------

I like the Goldberg Cub ARF. Why? Because it utilizes strip ailerons (non scale) instead of barn door ailerons (scale). The strip ailerons provide much better low speed control and do not as readily stall the wing at low speeds.

What is so great about the Goldberg Cub? The way it flies. No nasty habits, no surprises and it takes off easy as pie, whether you are powering it with a .40 four-stroke, a .61 two-stroke, a .40 two-stroke or a .70 to .91 four-stroke. It flies great. I'm on my third or fourth (I built the kit first, then bought ARFs - I get bored after a while and sell them off to experience something new).

The two-stroke Super Tigre .40 is a perfect match for this model (any of the Cubs). Once airborne and throttled back, you won't be able to tell how many strokes the engine is utilizing to run. <G>

Fit the GS-40 with an 11x5 prop and go float flying. You'll love it.

I like my cub's bad habits it keeps me rooted as a pilot if all planes where trainer quality life would be boring
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10203.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	508526  
Old 03-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Super D

Blue Magic98 Thats the exact reason, I'm buying another cub.

Flying a model that flys "scale" is fun and a change of pace. Every model I have is overpowered, and flying a scale powered model is a challenge and has a pucker factor, like hovering doing tail touches. I'm thinking of a 40 size cub with a 30-4 stroke it ought to fly fairly scale.

I plan to add some tundra tires, and add some flaps. STOL with obstacles sounds like fun also. Maybe I can talk some buddies into it also and we can have "Bush Pilot Competitions". [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-12-2008, 02:37 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: da Rock

Check the price of the OS70FL 4stroke.

I just bought one for less than a buddy paid for a Magnum 71 4stroke.

Just checked Tower's prices and the two engines are priced the same. $180.00

I just fuelproofed the inside of my WM 46size Cub. It's a blue/white clipped wing. I'm putting the OS70FL in it. Good ARF so far. Engine promises to be good too.

------------

The OS FL-70 utilizes an airbleed carb, the Magnum .70 utilizes a two-needle carb (much better) and the piston sports a ring. The OS FL-70 piston does not utilize a piston ring. Additionally, the cylinder is plated with nickel (peels?). When the time comes, you just pop a new piston ring on the Magnum piston and go fly. When it comes with the FL-70, you just chuck the whole engine.

Yes, I've had both. Still have the Magnum. I am an OS fan/enthusiast, but the FL-70 is not a good buy unless you get it really cheap from someone else that took the hit financially. Of course, this is just my opinion.

The Magnum four-strokes are perfect for Cub's and the like.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-12-2008, 10:14 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

This is a good start on a new thread guys. what do you all think about the new 80" SUPER CUB from Model Tech? Hobby People sells it. It looks very scale but is kindof expensive. I think that it would be a great choice with a OS supass 70fs ( I have one of those ) and a set of really nice, light silver floats. I haven't bought it yet because I haven't heard anything about it. My freind is finishing up his build on a CGolberg 1/4 scale cub (converted to super via a new cowl) He is never going to fly it off of land - it will always be a float plane and I just have to have one too. I had a seawind for my float plane last year at this time but it is retired now [sm=drowning.gif]and I need a new float plane for this spring[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Jeff
Old 03-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Super D

Jeff I've been eyeing it as well. I've always been happy with modeltech stuff, especially the value. I'm looking for a scale one with barn door surfaces and all the bad habits. I'm thinking a OS 25 or magnum 30 to keep the power scale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.