Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Parkzone P-51 problem

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Parkzone P-51 problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 08:29 PM
gt89stang393

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone P-51 problem

Hello everyone, I am new to the rc world, however have much simulator experience my whole life with different aircraft simulators, anyway, I own the Parkzone P-51 and FW-190. The mustang was very underpowered so I went and upgraded to the li-poly battery packs. Now, tonight was my second flight on this set-up with the li-poly battery, and midway through the flight I heard a POP and just a horrible sound, I pulled all power back (the transmitter is horrible, your either all in or half throttle which it doesn't like) and noticed the spinner was gone, luckily I had a lot of speed and was able to land the plane without much drama. Now here is where it gets confusing, upon getting the plane I noticed one blade of the prop was still connected to the shaft which was hanging out of the nose of the aircraft. Looked inside the nose and the gearbox was broken, gear intact. What the heck could have happened here? We are thinking the prop isn't strong enough to handle the extra RPM and torque of the li-poly, but many other people have this same upgrade with no issue. Could the prop have been faulty? This was the 4th flight on the plane, first 2 with standard battery and I refused to fly it like that after the second flight. I also found that the pinion gear started rubbing against the firewall, and looks like there are grooves on the pinion shaft below the gear which makes me think the pinion pulled back and into the firewall. The aircraft is amazing with the li-poly battery, I am going to fix it, but want to know if this is something I can expect more now? Anybody that knows anything about this or knows anyone who had like issues please let me know, I don't want this to happen again and cause a catastrophic failure causing me to lose the plane. Thank you for any help!

Eric Schmehl
Old 08-14-2006, 09:24 AM
tr21triton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone P-51 problem

mine runs great on the std. battery pack,i think.plenty of power for electric. just wish it lasted longer,but power isn't a issue with it.if the li-po's add that much i may have to get some.i'm thinking about buying a electric edge 540 for 3d stuff, but am happy with flying the p-51 around the front yard.