Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Black Horse Ultimate

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Black Horse Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Big feet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Horse Ultimate

Hi all,
I was looking at a review in a model mag last week on the Black Horse Ultimate for 60-90 2 stroke. It is an artf model.
Has anyone built one and if so, now much building time is required. I have no bench at the moment hence the artf and question.

Thanks [8D]
Old 11-23-2006, 03:15 PM
kenl40009

Default RE: Black Horse Ultimate

I have just completed building one, its OK but the instructions leave a lot to be desired. There are a few niggles I had with the supplied materials - the main one being that the cabane is made of soft 2024T0 aluminium which would bend as soon as you looked at it, I made a new set from 2024T3 aluminium which will be much better. The position suggested for the engine would make cowl alignment virtually impossible and needs raising. I replaced all the screws supplied with allen cap screws for easier assembly. There is no reinforcing at the wing bolt holes or where the aileron link rods attach. I think the intention is to have the wings seperate into four panels & use the attachment screws to hold them together but there is no mention of this in the instructions so I glued them together to make two complete wings. The main problem with the instructions is where I am at now, the C of G in the written instruction says 100 - 110mm from the leading edge of the BOTTOM wing, the diagram shows the measurement taken from the TOP wing. If the top wing is the correct way to go then I need to fit a pound & a half of lead to balance it!!. This is the first ARTF I have built so I dont know if these are 'normal' problems.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Coshy

Just finished building one myself, I agree there are some parts of the kit that are fairly ordinary. I especially enjoyed the half moon shaped elevators. I am about to maiden it on friday, if anybody has flown one, did you set the COG at 100mm from leading edge of the top or bottom wing. Consensus at the club is to go from the top wing only because its better to be nose heavy and work from there.

Cheers
Old 02-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Big feet

Thanks for the info guy's,
When I was in need of a quick build model last August I discovered that no-one had any of these in stock. As the review had given a big thumbs up to Black Horse I went for the 81" Cap232 they do instead.
For the record, very well packed and quality of finish is good. I found the instruction give extreme detail on how to assemble the fuel tank, I think most of us have that one sussed by now, but give no info in areas where you needed it. That said, if you are going to buy this model and be experienced enough to fly it, you will be able to fill in the blanks in the manual.
I fitted an Evolution 36cc petrol and so far have had one flight. I am currently adding air deflectors in the big cowl to ensure the engine is happy.
It flew well, just fits into a family hatchback, and looks good too.
I would be happy to give another Black Horse ARTF a go, still fancy the Ultimate. If anyone has an answer to the C of G it would be good to know.

Coshy, how did the maiden go???

May the number of your takeoff's always equal the number of your successful landings!

Cheers

Pete
Old 02-14-2007, 07:03 PM
p51mech38
My Feedback: (3)

Can someone post some pictures... Sounds good!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Nerevar

ORIGINAL: Coshy

.......... I especially enjoyed the half moon shaped elevators. .......
Cheers
Are you saying the elevators were not shaped like they were supposed to be shaped for an Ultimate bipe?????

And .... How did it fly?

Any pictures??
Old 02-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Nerevar

ORIGINAL: Rare Bear Mech

Can someone post some pictures... Sounds good!
Doesn't Anyone have pictures of this plane???
Old 02-28-2007, 07:18 PM
opjose

Only going by the pictures and published specs, it appears to have exactly the same dimensions and build characteristics as the older NP Ultimate.

I have one of the latter, and the BH ultimate gearing, struts, etc. look to be the same.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Nerevar

Thanks opjose [sm=thumbup.gif]

That first picture looks more like an actual photo than the 'drawing' on their web site.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:17 AM
Coshy

Had to repair mine after first flight, fin cracked on leading edge during flight and started fluttering in the breeze. Removed fin and put in new one (really enjoyed that). 2nd flight, traling edge of stabiliser cracked on hinge point, top lightweight soft balsa/white wood used, fixed and strengthened that. Should have checked front of stabiliser and elevators as all were made of similar lightweight wood. 3rd flight, lucky to survive as leading edge of stabiliser both sides and elevators cracked and more fluttering in the breeze, at least the covering held it together, landed it. Ended up strengthening up both stabiliser and elevators as well as sheeting the tailplane. Had to add more weight up front to get balance correct.

Now it flies like dream
Old 03-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Nerevar

ORIGINAL: Coshy

Had to repair mine after first flight, fin cracked on leading edge during flight and started fluttering in the breeze. Removed fin and put in new one (really enjoyed that). 2nd flight, traling edge of stabiliser cracked on hinge point, top lightweight soft balsa/white wood used, fixed and strengthened that. Should have checked front of stabiliser and elevators as all were made of similar lightweight wood. 3rd flight, lucky to survive as leading edge of stabiliser both sides and elevators cracked and more fluttering in the breeze, at least the covering held it together, landed it. Ended up strengthening up both stabiliser and elevators as well as sheeting the tailplane. Had to add more weight up front to get balance correct.

Now it flies like dream
[sm=idea.gif]Sounds like it might have needed bracing wires from the fin to the stab and from the bottom of the fuselage to the bottom of the stab - Similar to the Great Planes Ultimate.[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Big feet

Hi Guys,
I only just looked into this thread after being caught up in the Heli fourm for a while.
Coshy, that all sounds a bit of a hassle, not to mention the potental for a write off.
The Cap has not flown since the maiden, mostly due to the weather.
I cut up some drink cans and used the thin foil to make the air deflector. Even so I may chicken out and cut another cooling hole in the cowl infront of the engine head. Really don't want to cook my Evolution engine.
I have added some pic's of the Cap, hopefully, never tried an upload here before.

What engine have you in the Ultimate Coshy?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21058.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	643432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17457.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	643433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49088.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	643434  
Old 05-05-2008, 02:10 AM
mcgyver74

I have 4 flights on mine now with a Saito 180 on the front..the only issue I have is that the firewall needs to be reinforced as mine came loose after a hard landing due to dumb thumbs... ..a few toothpicks, some CA and a LOT of plexus epoxy later it's solid as a rock again. I have to admit, it's not perfect, and yes there are areas that need improvement (Cabanes didn't line up during building which made for some intersting moments.. and the way they have the fuel tank in needs some tweaking) but overall for the price I can't complain and it flies absoulely awesome, very stable and just does whatever I ask it to do, and lands like a *****cat.

Is it the best ARF out there? no...but it's a hell of a lot of fun for the money and I'd gladly get another one if this one winds up getting donated to the balsa g-ds someday..
Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 PM
MAJOR SPLAT

Guys Im being thick but what was the correct c of g in the end?
Also how does the strut fit to the wing? Pics please!

My kit so far has been poor compared to all my other black horse models, I have had lots of black horse models and have always held them against much more expencive models and had them come out on top but so far this model has had some intersting problems.
1 top wing when bolted together had a gap at the leading edge going back about 3 inchs of about 1/16 whilst the the trail edge was a good tight fit.
2 engine postion in relation to the cowl is incorrect
3 exhaust hole would of been a nice touch if something had been supplied to drop into the hole to stop oil from entering the fuselarge.
4 elevator pushrods missing
5 poor manual and very soft cabane struts.

Any info on the struts and c/g would be useful

Regards

Major