Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Beware New H9 Ultra Stick 40

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Beware New H9 Ultra Stick 40

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:49 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware New H9 Ultra Stick 40

Just thought I'd give a heads up on the new Ultra Stick 40. What they have done is to change the rudder from a straight rudder to a counter-balanced rudder, which I thought was pretty cool. I dumb thumbed my 4 year old Stick into the ground a couple of weeks ago, and I enjoy goofing around with this plane so much I decided to replace it. I followed the instructions to the letter up through installing the Horz. and Vert. stabs. I am going with a Sullivan tail wheel, so when I got to the point of installing the rudder I skipped those parts of installing the stock tail wheel. I did a trial fit of the rudder, saw no problems, and installed it with the CA hinges. I then got ready to install the elevator, did a trial fit, and discovered that the new counter-balanced rudder is also a little longer on the bottom. This extra length causes the elevator to bottom out on the bottom of the rudder with almost 0 degrees of throw when you deflect it up. It also binds up the rudder rather tight.

I called Horizon today and was told that they have had several folks complain of the same thing, but unless I wanted to send the WHOLE plane back in for them to look at, just to cut a notch in the bottom of the rudder[>:] I also build a lot of kits, and so I had actually already made that mod last night and recovered the area, but for those of you who just want to build an ARF straight out of the box, I would think twice about this one. It is not a major or hard mod to do to the bottom of the rudder, but I feel it's a bad design they know about and are not willing to do anything about[] The instruction manual has not been updated to reflect the new rudder, just shows the same rudder I had on the old model. Truthfully, if it wasn't for it being a little longer on the bottom, I wouldn't have gone to the expense either.

As far as the customer rep I talked with at Horizon, not very customer friendly or willing to help much, basically was "I know we have a problem. but you deal with it by modifying a perfectly good and NEW airplane".

Just my Two Cents worth.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:00 PM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Beware New H9 Ultra Stick 40

Same experience I had with them this Spring when I bought a H9 80" Cub.
Had 3 really inconvenient problems.
There reaction was much the same...made it a pain...send it all back or no help.
Kinda like the US car makers were back in the '70s....they would just wear you down until you said heck with it and just lived with the problems.
Saved them money in the short run but we all know how that story ends.
All I can do is "vote with my feet" and never buy another H9 plane.
...and I would have been satisfied if they had sent me a $10 coupon on my next purchase to cover the repairs.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Ernie Misner

Hi Gregg. Although dissppointing, I must say I have found a few different planes that have needed notching for clearance in this area. Always, always, always, trial fit the stab, fin, rudder, and elevator and check for proper clearance and movement before gluing them into place. (Just as you always check the stab for being horizontal to the wing before gluing it into place)

A larger issue with the Ultra Stick series I would say is the terrible rudder/pitch coupling. I haven't flown the balanced rudder version, but my other two, 40 and 60 size, pitch UPWARDS terrible with rudder inputs. The culprit seems to be the low mounted stab and the strong triangular shape of the rudder trailing edge. (Picture a radical rudder movement, and you can see how it causes a high pressure area on the top of the stab, which pushes the tail down and the nose up) On my 60 size stick, I made a new rudder that is large and rectangular shaped)

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 08-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Kman1971

i had this same exact problem...i sent it back...dont want to go over my entire experience but lets just say it wasnt pleasant...I will however say that since i got it in the air it has been a really fun plane to fly Kieth
Old 08-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Ernie Misner

Mine is a LOT of fun in spite of the lousy coupling and knive edge habits. I have a Saito 82 on mine and as soon as I land I want to fuel it back up!

Ernie
Old 08-16-2006, 03:58 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Thanks for the heads up, I have one coming. Will use a Saito 82 and I plan to install floats.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:27 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, you guys that like the airplane..... I liked both of mine too. But wasn't really pleased with the awful rudder coupling. I think there is nothing prettier than to knife edge a good looking airplane down the runway. But both of mine just about broke in half when I tried to put them into a KE. I wound up pumping a fair amount of mix into my radio and that pleased me less.

So after the 2nd one bought the farm (literally, since we fly on a farm), I looked around for another, better flying design. BTW, the 2nd one crashed because I was trying to get the sucker to snap roll. It would barely do it unless I moved the CG back, way back, and that led to the loss. anyway.....

I got a Tiger2 and have not looked back.

It has a bit of rudder couple, but was easy enough to learn to fly through that. It'll snap without screwing up the CG. And it's a simple design.

Just a suggestion for your next airplane.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:37 PM
zippyz

same problem with rud-elev hitting,talked to horizon and they said i built it wrong!!This was about my 6th or 7th arf i've built.The kicker is i am the manager at the lhs that buys from there company and they still won't do anything about it.So i'am trying to put a little pressure on my rep. and we'll see what happens.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Kman1971

I not trying to tell you not to send yours back....but if you can fix it i would go that route...i sent mine back and it wasnt a quick process..then i was returned another with the same exact problem... Kieth
Old 08-17-2006, 10:58 AM
zippyz

but the idea behind an ARF is to build and go fly,not halfway build,modify,grind away wood then go fly.Plus i have to look at it from a beginers point. I say hanger 9 has well built planes,he takes it home, trys building it and then back and beats me with it.I just think there quality is going down hill,i come across alot that have the hinge slots off centered,firewalls coming apart,and the planes folding in half(tribute).
Old 08-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Kman1971

If you are trying to make a point then i completely agree...go for it ..was just relaying my experience and the trouble i had and in the end i was back where i started.This was the worst experience i have ever had since i started in this hobby and i hope i never have to go through it again. Kieth
Old 08-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Riverdancer
My Feedback: (5)

Good Day Gents,

Customer service is going to be a thing of the past before we know it.. on the bright side over all the ARF's these days are pretty darn good.. :0) They build way faster and better than I can, I don't really mind the odd little fix. Still faster and cheaper than the kit versions.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out..take care.

Riverdancer

BTW The stick is a great plane.yep there was some coupling but I didn't think it was bad for a box plane.. I knife edged mine into the deck last summer trying to beat my son.. (I must have mixed up "on the Deck" with "In the Deck"
Old 08-18-2006, 11:33 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Guys - Sounds like similar problems all around. I just wanted to let folks know of the problem they've (Hangar 9) built into the current model (Ultra Stick 40). As mentioned by others, and what I aleady did, was fix the problem with some mods and notching to the rudder. Not a BIG deal, but none the less something H9 knows about and should be fixing or putting an addendum to the instruction manual out there up front. As far as customer service, It's not always what it should be, but a few rotten eggs don't make the whole bunch bad I guess.

So with that, you guys that work your butts off and go the extra mile for us out here on the customer side, thanks a BUNCH

To all you other guys, go get another job without people relations as prereq
Old 08-19-2006, 12:59 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

I've had four H9 planes and haven't had any complaints with any of them. But, then again I never had to send anything back either. I guess I've been fortunate. I think the quality of the planes and the design have been good. I think the building on some could have been better i.e., glue joints and strengthening. I agree with what was said above, I couldn't build one as good and don't mind doing a little to make it work. My worst experience was with the Vector flight xtra 300. The mods went on for weeks on end and when I maidened it it rolled uncontrollably into the ground. Several months of work, $170 plane, plus hardware, $158 in damage to my engine, replacement of servos, a totally bad experience for me. It was purty though.