Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

will this engine work on this plane os is it to much?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

will this engine work on this plane os is it to much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 02:06 PM
txntlidie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will this engine work on this plane os is it to much?

GP Matt Chapman Cap580 46-60 2 stroke 52-70 4 stroke
I have a Saito 120 twin cylinder 4 stroke that I was told would be equal to a good 65 size 2 stroke
Looking for opinions of if this is a good combo. I have both already, and am about to start assembling the plane. Any opinion out there? Opinions are like armpitts ,,, almost everybody has 2. LOL
Old 08-23-2006, 03:03 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: will this engine work on this plane os is it to much?

A 1.20 4-stroke (twin or not) is what you have. Probably too large for this plane since your not in the mountains. I had a .61FX w/ a 13x4 prop and thought it was perfect on this plane. I think you'll agree as well.

Kevin
Old 08-23-2006, 03:11 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: will this engine work on this plane os is it to much?

You will find that plane to be very responsive with the upper end of the recomended power options. That keeps the overall weight down as well. Take a look at the engine options you have available and compare horsepower and weights. A two stroke example is the OS .50SX which has a great power to weight ratio when compared to most .60 sized two strokes. I recently put together a small U-Can-Do with the same basic engine recommendation you are dealing with and used the OS .50 and it did everything including great vertical perf. An engine like this will do well on that plane and keep it light as well. Of course, you will hear from the "unlimited vertical at half throttle" crowd who may have a different take on it. We have one flying at our field with an OS .46AX and a 12 3/4 x 3 3/4 APC and it does a decent job on the plane.