Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Suggestions please...

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Suggestions please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:15 AM
Calhob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions please...

I wonder if anyone can suggest a good sport plane to suit my lovely OS .50FX? I'm looking for something that's low-wing, aerobatic, but not too fast and furious. Most of those I've looked at are designed for a .46 engine and from following the discussions here on RCU I think most of these would be too fast with a .50 for an old guy like me.[8D]

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, fellas.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:31 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Suggestions please...

A .50 would be fine in a .46 size plane. If you're worried about the speed, just choose a prop with a larger diameter and smaller pitch. This will keep the speed down, but give great pull when you need/want it. Also remember that the throttle stick has more than two positions
Old 08-24-2006, 05:31 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good old standards.

GoldbergTiger II
Sig Something Extra
Sig 4*
GP Super Sportster
Goldberg Skylark

And the not so old standards
GP Rapture
Pheonix Models Dolphin
Any Stick type plane (though not low wing)

Most of these models are rated up to .46 or so, but adding a 50 will not make them "fast and furious". They will nearly all slow down as slow as you want them to. My top pick would be the Tiger II, 4*. then teh GP Supersportster.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Norm Nestie

If you're ok with an ARF, and there are many nice ones, a Seagull Spacewalker is a very nice choice. Easy flying, nice looking, well made and very reasonable price.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Fastsky

Tiger 2, Super Sportster, H9 Pulse, or the Seagull Spacewalker would all be very good choices. They will alll fly sort of similiar but have different looks. Please let us know what you decide on. [8D]
Old 08-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throw that thin into the front of a small Ultra Stck. Then you have the best of all worlds. trainer, fast, areobatic tendancies etc
Old 08-24-2006, 09:45 PM
drone pilot

Piper Chuck.... When did the "more than two options on the throttle stick" come out?????? I'd like to let some of my fellow fliers know about that......... re: the options, just about any .40 size plane can handle a .50 engine, if there is room for it.... I have a .60 in my Goldberg .40 size Cub and never fly above 1/2 throttle except in emergencies.... ( what? you've never had one?) Cliff
Old 08-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: drone pilot

I have a .60 in my Goldberg .40 size Cub and never fly above 1/2 throttle except in emergencies

The only time any of my planes sees 1/2 throttle is passing through it on the way to full speed or landing. Anything in between is a waste of engine performance![X(]
Old 08-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Calhob

Thanks for all the suggestions, fellas. Much appreciated. I'm now very much angling towards the Seagull Spacewalker II which is a great looker and has a sensible wingspan and reminds me of my Astro Hog that I flew for 14 years on and off, until it just plain wore out!

Another one that appeals to me is the Black Horse Super Air, which comes in either trike or dragger config. Also a nice looker and I believe flies very well. Does anyone among know it or own one?