Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Dave Patrick Big Ultimate

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Dave Patrick Big Ultimate

Old 01-07-2003, 08:31 PM
WorldModelNut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave Patrick Big Ultimate

Just ordered a DP Ultimate in blue. I was wanting to see if anyone has put something like a Moki 1.8 or 2.10 on one of these babies. I am planning on putting a Webra Bully 2.2 glow. I think it will be radical with power ,but that's what a throttle is for. Engine looks to fit just right and the Bully is known for being light and powerful for its size. Weight of engine and muffler is 48 oz.

Comments anyone ?

Thx
Don
Old 01-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Quickie
My Feedback: (4)

I'm finishing one up with a OS 160FX in it right now. People hover these things with Saito 150-180's. From what I've seen building the plane the airframe will need considerable reinforcement to the front for that motor (probably replace the firewall) and you're gonna have to move something to the tail to balance out that monster on the front. Overall your looking at making a 10-11 lb plane into a 12-14lb one but hey if all your gonna do is sit it in the vertical position and hover it all day you'll be glad you went with that monster otherwise your gonna hurt the plane's general flying performance somewhat.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:49 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .

ys140 inverted in mine.....only couple flights but it is truly ...awesome. also have a 40 size not finished yet and am putting a ys63 in that one...
Old 01-07-2003, 09:51 PM
TheEdge
My Feedback: (787)

Default Gasser Power

Fox 2.4
Old 01-07-2003, 10:08 PM
JDHammer
My Feedback: (1)

I don't know why the manufacturer calls it an Ultimate 120. Clearly, it is begging to be powered by a 5.89cu. in. Zenoah GT-80 twin.

Please pass the tail weights.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:16 PM
seanychen

If you are trying to fly "The Ultimate Bi-Stablizer Rotor-less Helicopter", then the GT-80 would work
Old 01-07-2003, 10:16 PM
Mendes

JDHammer is right, everyone is complaining about there not being a 50-80cc size Ultimate available. Well here it is guys. I mean, you can't get unlimited vertical with some little 1.6 glow engine, that's just pathetic.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:55 PM
Quickie

Your not pushing a planes limits till the prop diameter is equal to the wingspan right????
Old 01-07-2003, 11:00 PM
WorldModelNut

OK, so I'm taking some flack on this. I did a little digging and here is what I came up with.

OS 160 3.7 HP weight 32 oz w/o muff
YS 140 3.2 HP W 32 oz w/o muff
Saito 180 2.8 HP w around 32 oz
Moki 1.80 4.10 HP w 41 oz w/ muff
Moki 2.10 4.95 HP w 46 oz w/muff

So, If people have been putting a Moki 1.8 on these and other DP planes why am I way out of the ball park. My Bully should be comparable to the Moki 1.8 and only weight 7 oz more.

Mendes is right. I wish the thing was a little bigger but I have no other Ultimates to choose from.

Comments?
Old 01-07-2003, 11:07 PM
WorldModelNut

Look at the TOC planes. What about the power to weight ratio on those things. That's about as radical as it gets. We see their example and want our budget stuff to be able to do the same. I watched Sean McMurtry grow up here in OKC and got to see him fly his TOC stuff many times in practice. Incredible performance. His dad Mike who runs the LHS still flys the big stuff, in fact he just finished the new 1/3 H9 Suk. and is using the new 3W100 to power it. Another friend has the same set up and it rockets out of a hover.

Just because you have a large reserve of power does not mean you can not stay within the envelope of the aircraft.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Jim Flannigan

I think I have a 3W 100 twin that should fit nicely, If you do not mind the cylinders hanging out of the sides of the cowl. Do you have enough clearence for a 28" prop?

Welcome to RCU worldmodelnut!
Old 01-08-2003, 03:38 AM
Quickie

The Ultimate is quite a bit smaller than the Extra 330L or the Edge 540T and Dave admits the Moki 1.80 would work on the Extra and Edge but is WAY overkill on the Ultimate. Yeah a lot of power is wonderful but This 2.2 on the Patrick Ultimate is the equivalent of a putting a 200cc Twin on a 33% plane. Yeah I'll have kick ass power but at the cost of wing loading. Hovering is cool but if your looking for TOC like plane in a smaller package loading it down with a bigger than neccesary motor is not the answer, you need to balance weight with power.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:35 PM
WorldModelNut

OK,

How about this. I have a G-23 Glow. I have trimmed the weight down from 37.8 oz to 33 oz by removing excess case, rear shaft output, etc. I run 5% oil and 15% nitro on this engine and it really humms. I had it on a 14.75 LBS H9 Taylorcraft and I pulled it around with no problem. I can turn a APC 16 X 8 @ 8800 all day and the engine only has 1.5 gallon through it. Now here is my thinking. I am close to the weight of a Saito 180 with the power of a 150+. If I can keep the weight of the plane to say 11 LBS I would think that it will haul the crap out of it. I like the pump carb because I can put my tank near the CG. I still might experiment with the G-23 by putting a Delorto carb on an seeing if I get more RPM and better throttle response.

Comments?
Old 01-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Mendes

If your weight/RPM numbers are right on the G-23 then you should be alright.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:14 PM
McCoy
My Feedback: (5)

I think we are looking at this thing the wrong way by talking about putting larger engines in the ultimate. I sent Dave Patrick a letter about giving the market place a larger ultimate. It is clear to many of us that a larger ulitmate is needed. Lets look at the playing field there are no ultimate arfs for a 2.4 to 4.2 size out there. In this size you find the majority of your gas engines especially the 3.2.. What I am talking about is something with a 70"-80" ws. This would be the perfect size. Here is a guy Dave Patrick with a ARF Ultimate voted the best ARF in the land by MAN.
You would think he would be interested in producing something like this. I would of thought he would of made a bigger ultimate before he produce the .40 version.(remember he sells completly out of the 1.20 ultimates that he orders). He could sell them on a special order bases limited # he already has the drawings and knowleged to do so. It could be priced around $500.00-$600.00 something that we all could live with. I feel cheated that a company that we have supported with our money may stifle our abilities to move forward. I think all of us who love to fly ultimate should email him and let them know, I've already led the charge.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:35 PM
locomotive
My Feedback: (7)

I have a Saito 180 on my DP Ulty....weight ready to go is 11lbs. It has way more then enough power....I think a Saito 150 would be plenty. Keep it light....a light plane flys much better.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:40 PM
seanychen

Originally posted by McCoy
I think we are looking at this thing the wrong way by talking about putting larger engines in the ultimate. I sent Dave Patrick a letter about giving the market place a larger ultimate. It is clear to many of us that a larger ulitmate is needed. Lets look at the playing field there are no ultimate arfs for a 2.4 to 4.2 size out there. In this size you find the majority of your gas engines especially the 3.2.. What I am talking about is something with a 70"-80" ws. This would be the perfect size. Here is a guy Dave Patrick with a ARF Ultimate voted the best ARF in the land by MAN.
You would think he would be interested in producing something like this. I would of thought he would of made a bigger ultimate before he produce the .40 version.(remember he sells completly out of the 1.20 ultimates that he orders). He could sell them on a special order bases limited # he already has the drawings and knowleged to do so. It could be priced around $500.00-$600.00 something that we all could live with. I feel cheated that a company that we have supported with our money may stifle our abilities to move forward. I think all of us who love to fly ultimate should email him and let them know, I've already led the charge.
Or you can spend $1700 for the H9 Ultimate. Hmm, I am not sure how I could haul that plane to the field... strap it on top of my car?
Old 01-08-2003, 11:42 PM
seanychen

Well, Ohio RC made a big Ultimate. I have a friend who flies it on Saito 300 Twin. I don't think they are still available though.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:43 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default any meanee minnnee moe

i started off with my DP having a satio 180 power to spare

i wanted gas so i swapped to a RCS 1.4

i may the switch last week to a OS-160 power to spare again.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:45 AM
Mendes

Originally posted by McCoy
I would guess that he is working on one. Keep in mind, it takes alot more time to develop a large plane that can withstand the large gas engines. I'm sure he doesn't want similar problems to the ones that GP had with the first runs of their Pitts.

You feel cheated? Don't. If you want to move forward get a 1/3 Hangar 9 ARF. To feel that Dave Patrick is responsible for not allowing you to move forward in the hobby is absurd. A small company can only do so much, I would rather see them put more time in researching and developing the model than to have them rush it out to market before it is truly ready.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:13 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

so who has a gasser on the plane 6 months later?

Gas is so cool!!!!!