Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ARF Pilots; What would you fly if there were no ARF's?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ARF Pilots; What would you fly if there were no ARF's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ARF Pilots; What would you fly if there were no ARF's?

Question to all ARF Pilot's...

What would you fly if there were no ARF models? RTF's do not count either. It's a question that came up in several venues, and I decided to come to the appropriate source of information. This is not repeat NOT an attempt to flame anyone, nor is it a put down. Just an honest question.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-27-2006, 03:29 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: ARF Pilots; What would you fly if there were no ARF's?

Gee, I'd go back to building from a kit...oh wait....I am still building and assembling ARF's
Old 08-27-2006, 03:29 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do what I did when I first started since ARF's were not worth the box they came in... build my own. I still build now and then BUT I just don't have the ambition/free time to build more than one maybe two planes a year... the fairly good quality ARF's of today allow me to fly something NEW when ever I want.

John
Old 08-27-2006, 03:33 PM
IronCross

I probably pay the rip off price and buy a kit again... They want a heck of a lot of money for a box of balsa and cheap ABS parts these days...
Old 08-27-2006, 03:39 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

helicopters

I seriously doubt I would've got involved in planes if i wasn't able to get an arf trainer, building kinda intimadates me but i'd like to have at least one plane that i can say "I built it"..... now that i have a bunch of arf's i want to start building kits( all bipes) with mods....i've started one kit(OMP Boxxer bipe, profile) and i have 3 others waiting.. CG Ultimate, Dave Platt YMF WACO 1/6 and a SIG Hog Bipe....i'd also like to get a Bucker Jungmeister
Old 08-27-2006, 03:52 PM
tailskid

Build the Hog Bipe next and save the Pica Waco for much later (it's like a winter project!).
Old 08-27-2006, 04:30 PM
drone pilot

Bill !!!! Hi, I guess I'd have to fly a little more carefully and go back to building something like these again, or the Pica 190D and the TF Giant Scale Mustang resting out in the garage. Used to have to build everything I flew, but now choose ARF's. I don't want to get into the choice thing again, but liked this question, should get some interesting responses...Cliff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80775.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	514119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68679.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	514120  
Old 08-27-2006, 05:17 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

Honest question!

I'd be flying this...A Kaos 90 scratch built from MAN plans. ARF's are nice for a quick-fly scenario but for the long haul and years of quality service, a kit-build or scratch from plans is hard to beat.

I dinged this one last weekend due to a flameout just after takeoff. The TT 1.08 quit at about 50ft so my Kaos and a large oak tree became acquainted. Nothing serious but a few dents in the leading edge and bent landing gear legs...we managed to get it within 6 ft of the ground before our pole snapped and she plopped onto the grass!

PM

Name:	Lj23530.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	514173  
Old 08-27-2006, 05:19 PM
tailskid

On another line of thought....I would guess the flight line would be thinner and my frequency would be available more often!!!!
Old 08-27-2006, 05:37 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tailskid

On another line of thought....I would guess the flight line would be thinner and my frequency would be available more often!!!!

Yes, I'd be flying alone lot more often too. I fly a few ARFs, but only to keep me flying a lot of different models while I build all my favorites.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Stickbuilder

Build the Hog Bipe next and save the Pica Waco for much later (it's like a winter project!).
Your winter had best be about 7 months long. I started this one on March 1, and these pics were shot last Sunday. Since then, the Shear webs are in, the Servo mounts are in, and the lower wing bottom is covered and doped.

Bill, AMA 4720

Name:	Ig12417.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	514197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52416.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	514198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17272.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	514199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44597.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	514200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa34619.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	514201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of57985.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	514202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac62538.jpg
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	514203  
Old 08-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

What would you fly if there were no ARF models?
Bill, AMA 4720

Just buy someone elses kit built plane, but then, you just bought a ARF/RTF.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:49 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Would still fly.. building several kits as I type The only problem with kit building today is that the cost of a modern ARF when compared to all of the covering and glue with a kit.. ARF's are just too good of a deal to pass up. A kit can and probably cost more than an ARF in today's pricing.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Stickbuilder

Without a doubt. They tell me that you can buy the ARF COX Pica WACO for $379.00. I had to pay $315.00 plus shipping for the last one that I bought. Doesn't leave much for the cloth, dope and glues does it" Not to mention wheels, hinges, pushrods (if you use them) Fuel tank, keepers, clevises (whoops, y'all don't normally use them). I'll have over $700.00 in mine before I add the Color, radio, or the engine. [:-]

Bill, AMA 4720

(but I did build mine)
Old 08-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Stick....Bill, Always nice to be able to say you built your's from a "Kit". Can't do tht with an ARF. Does that make it worth twice as much as an ARF?

Depends on who did the building I suppose. I would buy your's for twice the price. Bob
Old 08-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I like taking a beat up "pos" and rebuilding it into a nice plane. Take the before/after photos and such. Some good satisfaction in it.

Those who know me know that I do the same thing with a perfectly nice plane also
Old 08-27-2006, 06:50 PM
drone pilot

AH !!!! the Tweak Miester speaks.... I wonder if Bill would qualify rebuilding a re-kitted ARF as building a "kit".
Old 08-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Cyclic Hardover......I'm just about the same way I guess. I've never seen a Kit I didn't like to "BASH," and I'd much rather build from scratch than from a Kit. Bob
Old 08-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Scar

What would you fly if there were no ARF models? <<snip>>
Bill, AMA 4720
One of the options has always been to have some professional builder build a completed plane for you. I remember about, oh, 15 years ago, the model magazines had lots of ads in the back, guys advertising they would build your kit for you (or from plans, etc.)

Something else I remember from back in those days before the Internet, companies like Ace and Lanier and lots of others made money ($5 or so) selling catalogs. I still have a few kit catalogs, in my library. I remember ordering a "catalog" from one manufacturer, and getting a bunch of mimeographed (that was before copiers) typewritten & hand drawn sheets. I wonder when Sig sold their last catalog.

But I digress.
Dave Olson
ps in answer to the question, I'd enjoy being one of those builders!

Old 08-27-2006, 07:50 PM
carrellh

I'd probably buy used planes if I could find them.

I'd also build an occasional kit.

Plans building, or scratch building, is totally out of the question for me.

I have some pretty severe limitations in my hands and arms that make building pretty challenging. I don't feel cuts or burns; I realize I've hurt myself when I see the blood or the liquid that came out of the broken blister. I have less than 50% range of motion in my left arm and hand; and probably less than 15% in the right. Building a simple kit like a trainer or Uproar takes me about a year and some things I have to get my brother to do for me.

Even though there is a lot I cannot do; I still can do a lot. I built a PT-60 and an Uproar 60 mostly by myself. I assembled a Big Stik 60 ARF mostly by myself, and am working on a 4*60 ARF. After that, I have a GP 40 size Corsair kit to build. I think it will be a real challenge for me but I'm going to do my best and see what happens.

I fly on a buddy box because I don't seem to have the dexterity to master takeoffs or landings. Not sure I'll ever be solo but I don't care too much if I'm not. When I started flying I was determined to get to the solo stage. As I've learned what's really involved from the safety aspect, I'm not sure that "cutting the cord" will ever be a good idea.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Cyclic Hardover

ORIGINAL: Scar

What would you fly if there were no ARF models? <<snip>>
Bill, AMA 4720
One of the options has always been to have some professional builder build a completed plane for you. I remember about, oh, 15 years ago, the model magazines had lots of ads in the back, guys advertising they would build your kit for you (or from plans, etc.)

I remember seeing those ads just a couple years ago. As i recall it was some BS company that was building a "Flnaaker" or something. Sorry but I'm about 2 hours away from Clovis. It looked so funny ,I left it there for the Mafia Spellers.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: drone pilot

AH !!!! the Tweak Miester speaks.... I wonder if Bill would qualify rebuilding a re-kitted ARF as building a "kit".
If you build, then you build. Does it matter if it is a virgin kit, or one that you just turned into a kit in a plastic bag? I just don't want the part of the hobby that I most love to die out when those of my generation are gone. Glad to see that some of you guys do actually build and not just assemble. I bought one ARF, and it was such a POS, that I did a trim flight and sold it. Engine, Radio and all. Sadly, it was one of the ones that you guys think is the best. That's a scary thought. I might consider an arc, but I don't think that I would ever trust another ARF. There is just too much that is hidden until it's too late. How long are we going to put up with the distributors passing off S t boxes to us, and going right back for more. Justifying it by saying you expect to reinforce the firewall, regluing joints, and making sure that the landing gear rails are glued in, should not be acceptable. As long as we accept it, it will never get better.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-27-2006, 08:52 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

----------------

Yep, you need enough flying/operating experience to know when to trash his fuel tank installation and do it right.

I'm basing this criticism on a Pica/Platt T-28 that I saw at our field some years ago. A round fuel tank supported by bulkheads with round holes? No isolation foam whatsoever. Every time they started the engine, the fuel tank began to rotate and eventually pulled the fuel lines off the engine. The rest of the kit seemed to be designed nicely, but you could tell that a mostly non flying scale designer did the engine/fuel tank treatment. It WAS a beautiful airplane. I'll give the designer that. <G>
Old 08-27-2006, 08:57 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Are you the same Tailskid that wrote for RC Report and lived in Alabama a while back? TIA

I just bought a bunch of balsa and plywood to build some old Bridi planes from plans. But I do enjoy ARF models. They let me get back into flying after a layoff without the emotional attachment that I have for something that I built. Like someone else said, it also lets you try something that you are curious about, but may not have the necessary drive to build oneself.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:31 PM
drone pilot

Artisan, Good point, I recently saw a beautiful 1/4 scale Waco that had about four flights on it before a minor mishap. The builder, in a rush to repair it for a contest spent many hours to finish it in time for the contest. About 45 sec into the flight something came apart and the plane was a total loss........ My first caution to a new pilot is "Don't fall in love with that plane", but how can you not if you spend lots and lots of hours building the ultimate plane. I am ALWAYS on edge, as I guess I should be, when I make that first flight. It is a lot easier to lose an ARF. I will continue to build on occasion, but just to keep up the limited skills I have. Bill, there are a lot of "new" people out there that scratch build because they like you, have the artistic drive that needs to be satisfied. One young man in our club, in his late 20's just started a scratch built PBY, how's that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.