Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ARFs..It's what they don't tell you

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ARFs..It's what they don't tell you

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 05:15 PM
iflircaircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARFs..It's what they don't tell you

Hi:
Luckily I have built a few kits in my day and recently have purchased a few ARFs. This is the thing that gets me. In alot of cases it's the lack of information with ARFs.
Unless you have some knowledge of wing incedence or engine thrust you may be up a river with no paddle.
Whether it be electric or gas or glow, thrust and incedence can make a big difference in how or IF an aircraft will fly.
Any of you have any other beefs with lack of information?

Happy Flying

Tom
Old 09-02-2006, 06:04 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: ARFs..It's what they don't tell you

nope
Old 09-02-2006, 06:12 PM
rcmiket

Me either, Built a bunch for myself and freinds.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most pilots with ample experience flying the type ARF they're building, will know just about how it needs to be set up. Even then.......Some guy's (myself included) don't like the "One for all," type of setup recommended. We all fly differently. Bob
Old 09-02-2006, 07:49 PM
tlrascal
My Feedback: (56)

If it is an ARF the incidence etc. is kind of built in and fixed. If you can't figure that out perhaps puzzles or rockets or some other hobby would be more suited to your skills.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:07 PM
IronCross

I have built dozens of ARF's and never had much of a problem with incidence or engine thrust... As above, it has always been built in.... That's not to say I don't sometimes tweek mine to get a straight upline or something... But generally they are just fine...
Old 09-02-2006, 09:23 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does this look like down thrust to you? I wonder if its needed.....because I am going to do the same plane! Capt,n
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16181.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	517909  
Old 09-02-2006, 09:30 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this look like down thrust to you?
Yup, and it looks like it originates mostly from stacked washers under the upper engine mounting bolts, which would suggest it's being done by the builder. ARFs usually build it into the firewall, not ask that you stack washers or such.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Fastsky

If you look at the picture, the plane is at an upward angle probably because the plane is a tail dragger. If you lift the tail until the fuselage is level then the engine will definitely be at a downward angle. Actually to me, I think too much of an angle! [8D]
Old 09-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Arfs have issues. Firewalls need to be beefed up and if they come with retracts, they should be removed and the mounting blocks beefed up and other little things. All this is minor to me and maybe takes a couple hours of work but so what. Overall it saves me weeks of building time.

I don't see what the big deal is on building time. If the box says it can be built in 8 hours and you take a month of doing it in your spare time, does this make you a bad builder? What if you build it during lunch , are you now an expert. This reminds me of those Super Tiger threads. Whats the big deal about installing a different carb on the engine. How many Hotrods do you see with "Rochester" carbs on them. If you install a non stock tuned pipe on an engine, people should not be whining and crying over installing a different carb.

What the heck were we talking about![>:]
Old 09-03-2006, 11:29 AM
IronCross

Quadrajets aside For some reason looking at a lot of the threads on this site I get the impression that kit builders are really getting intimidated by ARF's which is a testomony to ARF's and there ever improving quality I guess... Myself I do both... WHat the hey, were here to have fun so what does it matter ARF, kit, pizza box etc... Some people forget this is just a hobby. Way to serious..
Old 09-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

ARFs for me are a thing of beauty. It is simply the difference for me being able to enjoy this hobby or not. If I had to build, I wouldn't. Plane and simple.

Every ARF I've built has been a good experience. And has met my expectations. I've built over 20. I've stayed with mainstream manufacturers and I think that has helped. Hanger 9, Great Planes, Extreme Flight, Maxair, Seagull and I think that's it.

Every ARF has met my expectations because I know that I could not build it better. I think many who build could not do it better either. We only have the testimony of the builder himself that says it's better than an ARF. We all can't fly his plane. No objective review. Just his word. My guess is that many are not as good a an ARF.

Anyways, I've liked every ARF I've built. But I've also had to make changes in every one I've built. Mostly in the glue joints, or hardware, tires or something. So....they aren't perfect, but nearly so.

I'm happy we have ARF manufacturers. I'm sorry we have builders in this hobby who can't accept the ARF. It is too bad for them. If they want to build, let them. If we want to fly an ARF, don't look down your nose at us. After all...It's just a hobby. Just a hobby! JUST A HOBBY! Don't get so whacked out.

Thanks
Barry
Old 09-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Cyclic Hardover

There is more than enough room to "personalize" your Arf. Inside and out. If you don't like the outside, rip it off like I do and do it over. You still come out way ahead.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

This plane belongs to jstanton and the engine is a Brillelli 25cc and it did not fly with that much down thrust. That was just when he first mounted the engine and he added two washers to see if it would be enough or to much to get the 2 degrees down thrust needed for the Giles 202. In the end he used no washers as I did. The down thrust was set at 0.
ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Does this look like down thrust to you? I wonder if its needed.....because I am going to do the same plane! Capt,n
Old 09-03-2006, 05:25 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In the end he used no washers as I did. The down thrust was set at 0.
There is downthrust built into that firewall. No washers would not result in no downthrust.

Still, no washers is probably the best way to start. We have to trust that the manufacturers have test flown their airplanes. (Although a surprising number don't.) If the manufacturer built 2 degrees into the firewall, hopefully it means someone who should know thought that was what it needed.

Jim
Old 09-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Like World Models. Most of the firewalls have right thrust already built in.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:23 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As a builder that dabbles in arfs, I am constantly amazed when I rebuild one or take the covering off. I am amazed they can make them hold together with such little glue, the landing gear firewall area has been discussed alot ..they do skimp there... It amazes me!!!

I always built fairly light, but I like to see some glue residue in the joints!

One of the funy things about arfs to me is having a plane that looks like the box picture, I never could cover anything like anyone else..so I usually plan on pulling the covering and redoing it..but the covering job is usually nice enough that I can't bring myself to do it! ha ha
Old 09-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I'm pretty good at covering, not the best but pretty good. About 7 years ago I had some P-51 that I did not feel like clipping the wings on. So I decided to cover those round edges on the end of the wing. I knew what I was getting into and told myself, "I am going to use as many rolls as it takes to get that perfect." I finally figured it out after the first roll and darn near most of the second before I nailed those rounded ends of the wing.