Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Peakmodel Yak 54 & 26cc SPE combo just Arrived

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Peakmodel Yak 54 & 26cc SPE combo just Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Peakmodel Yak 54 & 26cc SPE combo just Arrived

I would like to chime in on this thread. I just recieved my Pitts 50 from them. I have gone over every piece very carefully and i am extremely impressed with the quality of the plane and the covering is nice and tight no wrinkles. The only thing that i will do over is the markings on the firewall for the center line. they look to be off a little bit. the hardware is ok. I haven't put the plane together yet but will be shortly. the covering on this plane is better than the covering on the Great Planes Super Skybolt i just recieved. I have just ordered the World Models Super chipmunk from them. 199USD delivered to my door. that is by far the best deal i have been able to come up with. It took them 9 days between my order and the shipping of the plane but that is not a big deal to me. Once they informed me it was shipped it only took 7 days to get to me. The guy awnsers e-mails quickly and is very pleasant to deal with.

Flyboy76

Peak Model gets a big thumbs up from me!!!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Plum Crazy
My Feedback: (5)

I just received my replacement fuse and cowl and they are perfect. How many others manufactures do you people think would send a whole new fuse and cowl just by seeing the pictures. I'm just happy with them they do what they say without a bunch of grief. Now if it would just jump together.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:24 AM
classicmarble

Great Post!
Looking at the Edge540 with 26cc.
Going gas was always a dream for me. Interested about your outcome and really interested about the quality of the engine.
Please keep us informed in your adventure.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Turbobruce
My Feedback: (3)

Does anyone know if this plane will hover with reserve power? I just found this thread and I'm ready to pull the trigger on the combo.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Plum Crazy

Hi I just barely started putting mine together so its going to be a while until i get to flight test it. I've been hoping that some one out there has already flown this combo and would chime in on how well it flys and how much power it has but it looks like were going to have to wait until i finish mine. I'm sorry that I'm taking so long. I'm disabled and have other problems that have been holding me up.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:06 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont be sorry Plum! We all look forward to seeing/hearing what you come up with
Old 10-16-2006, 07:13 PM
cmartins

look my Yak. [sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59626.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	542308  
Old 10-16-2006, 07:17 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what happened? Doesnt look like it will be a hard repair
Old 10-16-2006, 07:39 PM
cmartins

engine interference
Old 10-17-2006, 06:53 PM
teeps80

What happened !
Old 10-18-2006, 10:48 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Looks like something got in the way of the engine allright, what kind of interference are you talking about.
On another note what type of quality are you seeing with these arfs? I was thinking of stocking them in my shop if/when I open one up.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:01 AM
cmartins

CH interference.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:14 AM
zayzay1

so is it worth it to get this combo or to spend twice as much and get a 50cc plane.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:17 AM
LookNatU2
My Feedback: (11)

Good thread, I've been kicking around the idea of getting one of these. But I have a Goldburg Extra 330 with a 77" w/s with a 46cc Brillelli and it's still small enough to fit in the back of my truck.For the money it seems like a great deal and a good flyer and nice first gas plane. I tend to get to the airfield more when I dont have to drag my plane trailer around.
I still may get one of these.. Waiting for some flight reports and actual all up weights. thanks.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Plum Crazy

Well I have mine mostly together now all I need to do is move the battery's and receiver around and secure them to get the final balance. I'm posting pictures with the all up weight but i have to say that i changed my mind and put all heavy duty hardware in it and it also has a lot of foam to wrap the two battery's plus the ignition module and receiver. As for battery's I did put a 2400mah for the radio and a 1100 for the ignition and the 2400 is sub c cells and pretty heavy. I also have two switches and two charge jack mounts. Plus i added some reinforcement to the firewall and re glued most every part i could reach. It looks like it weighs just over 9lbs. It seems that their posted weight of 8.8 could be done with lighter battery's and their lighter hardware.

I started the engine this morning and it fired right up but would not run much over idle speed. After trying all sorts of needle adjustments I ended up taking the carb apart and making a small adjustment to the fuel pump portion and now it runs strong. I hope that it has a smoother idle after breaking in some but it does smooth out at a slightly fast idle or above. I dont have a scale to measure the thrust but i will tach it once i get some more time on it. It does have a strong enough pull to it that i was a little worried about it pulling the firewall out of it but i guess we will see once i get to fly it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17002.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	548039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23614.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	548040  
Old 10-25-2006, 09:04 PM
teeps80

Good thead Plum Crazey , I have the Edge 540 & 26cc combo. Mine came out to 10.2 lbs. Can you explain your procedure for starting the engine, mine is a pain to start. Are you covering the hole in the side of the carburator to choke.

Thanks Teep
Old 10-25-2006, 10:17 PM
f104g

definitely interested in any info and experiences anyone has with the SPE 26cc. Have one on it's way to me for my own project.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Plum Crazy

Good thead Plum Crazey , I have the Edge 540 & 26cc combo. Mine came out to 10.2 lbs. Can you explain your procedure for starting the engine, mine is a pain to start. Are you covering the hole in the side of the carburator to choke.

I bought a Sullivan Dynatron starter a few weeks ago because some of my four strokes are hard to turn over when its cold in the morning(35 deg) and i also modified my starter box to hold two twelve volt batterys just in case i needed to go to a twenty four volt setup. Plus I installed thicker wires between the battery's and power panel in my box so they could flow plenty of current to the starter motor. But I found that with this starter that twelve volts is plenty for the engines i use now and I think the standard wires in my box were plenty too. In my book a little overkill and planing for the future is a good thing. I think this is the biggest plane that I may ever buy as my magnum is pretty full as is but engine wise who knows maybe a forty on this size plane???

With the starter I turn the radio and ignition on and just close the choke all the way and then I turn the engine over until it pops like it wants to start then i shut the choke off and use the starter on it and it starts right away. I think this is the easiest way until the engine is fully broken in. When the engine is broken in you can shut the choke all the way or put your thumb over the carb and just rock the prop back and forth and you will see the fuel come from the tank into the carb and i would keep my thumb over the carb for a few extra seconds to make sure the engine has enough fuel to start. Then I would flip the prop until the engine pops then shut the choke off and flip until its running.

If you end up buying a new starter you really dont need two batterys as it turns it over fine on just one. But the extra capacity makes it nice if you run several planes like i do.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:43 AM
LookNatU2
My Feedback: (11)

Good info Plum, thanks
Old 10-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Ratchet
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Plum - just curious if the "combo" came with any extras, such as spinner, tail wheel, fuel dot, etc.

How's the engine running now?

Thanks.

-R
Old 10-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Plum Crazy

Hi no spinner or fuel dot but it did come with all three wheels and tires and all metric hardware plus a nice looking 17 by 8 wood prop. I switched mine out to 4-40 but used the stock wheels and tires. At first i installed a metal throttle cable but i switched that out to a plastic piece. I also built a mount to put the fuel tank at the center of gravity but decided to put the tank in the stock location for the first few flights. I have only ran the engine for ten or fifteen minutes after i adjusted the fuel pump. Once i got the engine to run above a idle it did not take long to set the needles to get good responce. Today i hope to have it balanced and to run the engine a lot more. Its made it harder to mount and balance because the instructions are Very Basic so its all trial and error. By the way I went to Towers website and checked out the manuel for the great planes yak so i had a good idea about the setup on gas engine planes. I tend to run new planes several times at home to make sure there are few if any bugs left when i get it out to the dry lake and i hope to take this plane out at the end of next week.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:44 AM
cmartins

plum,

Show us more some pictures into the plane

thanks
Old 10-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Plum Crazy

plum,

Show us more some pictures into the plane

thanks

The first page of this thread has pictures of the whole inside of the plane.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:36 PM
cmartins

I'd like to see how you setup your equipament into the plane
Old 10-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Plum Crazy

Right now its a bit of a rats nest so I'll take new pictures when i get i figured out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.