Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

33% GP Pitts User Reveiw

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

33% GP Pitts User Reveiw

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 10:20 PM
ThaFlyer
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33% GP Pitts User Reveiw

Ok, everyone has flown their Pitts. Despite the other thread that bashes the mag reviews. What do you think? It is time for user reviews. What do you like about it and what would you change?

Please be honest alot of people rely on these threads when buying an building airplanes.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:24 PM
DERF-54
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review

My plane looked great right out of the box. I made the wing mods and installed a brison 2.4 with no mods to the firewall, and gas tank in the stock location. I set the plane up at all recommended throws and cg. I used KLETT 1/4scale hinges in the tail and large greatplanes in the wings. I used hitec 605bb servos all around with one in the tail for rudder and a 1400 mil battery. We ground checked it in the yard did all the normal tests and then it was off to the field. The first flight, she started right up. I taxied out and off we went the plane came up to speed really quick I pulled back on the stick and she was off with just a little bit of yaw to the left. I made a few laps around the field to get a feel for the plane and then climbed out for some stall tests, no complaints at this point.
Now it was time to land I called over my buddy who is a great pilot and handed him the radio he went around a couple laps and brought her down, she settled into a nice approach and then landed on her nose. We checked it all out and nothing was wrong with the plane ( thank god ) so I made some changes, the ele. throw is said to be 1" for first flight well for take off and general flying it is fine but for landing it needs more. I changed the throw to 1.5" and fueled her up and removed some expo in the radio and off we went again. The plane came up to speed climbed out like a champ and handled much better. This time I played a little bit, doing some loops and rolls checking out the vertical and was very pleased with the setup. This plane has plenty of vertical with a 2.4 and it will hang on the prop no problem with this combo . Don't confuse hanging with hovering it does not hover but hangs like the real thing. I was pleased with the proformance and it was time to bring her in again, this time I landed the plane, on the downwind leg I was at 1/3 throttle made my turn dropped to 1/4 throttle she settled into a nice approach when she got a foot off the deck I chopped the throttle and it was a nice landing. Have to say I like this plane, It just needs a few tricks to be a great flying plane.

I am pleased with this setup and I think great planes did a great job on this one!
This is just my opinion and Iam sticking to it.

The changes I made from the first flights to now are.
1. I added more right thrust about 1.5 degrees
2. The throws were increased by 15%
3. New wheels as the others are to soft.

This is my review of the pitts and I have to say I would definitely
replace it with another one if I lost it.
DERF