Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldberg 67" Yak 54 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldberg 67" Yak 54 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Dave Bushong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg 67" Yak 54 ARF

I just received my long awaited 67" Yak from Carl Goldberg! It is a beauty. I looked for a long time to find a plane that was small enough to fit into my car and then I found out that Goldberg was going to come out with a 67" Yak. The length is 64".

The Tower Hobbies link can be found at: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNBP5&P=ML

My question is about servos. In the instructions it shows images of some very inexpensive Futaba S3003 Standard servos $10.99. (Elevator and Ailerons) The only good servo shown is the rudder servo which is a Futaba S9151 Digital Rudder Servo $89.99. Now I am relatively new at this so this strikes me rather strange. Why such cheap servos? I have some Futaba S3151 Digital Sport Servos $34.99 that I was going to use for the ailerons but even those had me concerned.

If any one else has purchase this plane or a similar plane and can give me any input I would appreciate it. I am in no hurry. I have a Hangar 9 Cub I have finally grown to love and I want to spend some more air time with it before I take to the sky with the Yak next spring.

Again I will say that the Yak is a beautiful plane! I love the Pre- painted fiberglass cowl, the tinted canopy, and the color scheme. I have purchased an OS FS-120S III.

Thanks,

Dave Bushong
Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 PM
G.W.
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Goldberg 67" Yak 54 ARF

Hello,
You would be able to get away with using standard servos, depending on what kind of flying you want to do. The 3151 has the same specs as the 3003, and personally I would go with more powerful ones. Also it depends on what you are going to use for a battery, 4 or 5 cell. I assume you are using 4cell because this is not that big of an airplane. For a 4cell, I would recommend the Futaba 3050 or the 3152 (high torque version of the 3151). There is a slight weight penalty with the 3050, though, with metal gears. The 3152 seems best overall for weight, power, and price. Tower sells the 3152 for $29.99, not to bad. Again this is not a very big airplane but you still will have some money invested in it. You do want a good servo for the rudder, it works the most.
P.S. I don't have the airplane but am just speaking from experience.
Hope this helps,
Extra
Old 11-17-2006, 10:16 PM
ghostrider168

Anyone has this plane fitted with a "Zenoah" G-20ei Electric Ignition Gas Engine? Is this a good match?

Gary
Old 11-23-2006, 07:21 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

will be happy to know how you made out..It does seem odd about the choice of servos..the digital ones definitely give better speed etc but my flying style is just everyday sport aerbatics and am looking at the plane or the 77 inch yak with a satio 150 which I already own..but the 67 inch sounds great.let me know what you think and how it flies .ummmxmas is sooo close lol.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:06 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As others have said, Standard servos will fly it just fine for even radical aerobatics, but if you want to go 3-D, you may need more speed and torque.

Ghostrider, I have asked RCU to try to get one of these for me to review. If I get it I plan to use a G-20ei, so I'll let you know
Old 11-24-2006, 05:54 PM
ghostrider168

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:39 AM
Tram
My Feedback: (6)

I should be reviewing one soon for electric conversion, for those of you who may be into flying with electrons.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Dave Bushong

Thanks so much for all of the input! This is a gold mine for finding information and helps people like me who are just starting to make wiser decisions.

Extra 300L thanks so much for your help with the servos. If any one can point me to a web site where I can read up on servos I would appreciate it.

At our local flight field I get conflicting advice on plastic gears verses metal gears. I know the weight issue and so forth but I would like to find an article for beginners to help sort out some of the issues. What do I sacrifice when I go plastic if I can afford the weight etc.

Gostrider 168, MinnFlyer and Tram you all caused me to run down to the local FedEx and return my OS FS-120S III back to Tower Hobbies! I am going to let the professionals like you all sort this out while I watch.

I really wanted a gas engine but on the other hand I wanted a YAK. The dilemma was my car was to small for the 77". Finally Goldberg came out with the 67". However I was not aware of the Zenoah" G-20ei.

Tram I will keep my eye out to see how it goes with flying with electrons. For me it is going to take awhile to win me over. I still love the sound of gas power. But some day I may have to give in to electric due to the fact that houses keep moving in closer to our flying field. I have a small electric Mini Ultra Stick which I love. It is so convenient with no clean up.

Dave Bushong
Old 11-26-2006, 01:23 AM
Tram
My Feedback: (6)

Dave-

Yeh, the prices are coming down which makes it nicer for the average man to fly these things..

I used to fly gas and glow and went to electric about 3 years ago and haven't been able to turn back.. I actually just sold off my last nitro engine today.. A good ole' OS 46 FX.. That engine is a stump puller..
Old 11-26-2006, 08:08 PM
MX240

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Building the Goldberg Yak ARF is a pleasure. So far everything fits and looks good. This is my second Goldberg Yak.
Notice....the supplied quick link clips are NO GOOD. Toss in trash as they break easy when hooking up to the control horns.
Here are a couple of pics of the OS 120 pumper I am going to use. Not going to 3-D so this will work for me and it is what I have on hand. Spending enough $$.

The OS mount LXCB65 works perfect and will give me the clearence from the cowl front.

I Plan on useing the OS Exhaust Manifold INSIDE LXCA97 and the OS Flex LXARP5 to get the engine exhaust to come out the bottom of the round cowl.
All of these are Tower numbers.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20775.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	567204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21777.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	567205  
Old 11-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Ektork

I too am trying to make wiser decisions. I am now assembling my Goldberg 67" Yak 54 ARF but have not yet settled in on an engine. I have considered the os 1.20ax and OS FS-120S III but am now leaning towards gas. The two gassers I am considering is the Zenoah G20ei and the rcs140se
[link]http://www.hangar-9.com/Articles/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1615[/link] <Zenoah>
[link]http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/RCS/rcs140se.html[/link] <RCS>
I have been in the hobby for 6 years; this is about my 20th plane but I am far from an expert (especially with gassers) so any input/advice would be appreciated. I'm not a contest flyer nor a 3D pilot, but I do like power/performance. I do not think the BME converted ST.90 would quite cut it for this plane, although I'm not sure. I would like to know how others plan to power this new beauty...

CVRCA, Lynchburg, VA
Old 12-04-2006, 09:46 PM
jwk72

I also just bought the long awaited 67" CGP YAK 54 and let me tell you... it is a beutiful plane! Now, like Dave B. I also am reasonably new at this and need to find some guidance on setting this bad boy up. Anyone who has any recommendations on engines I'm all ears. I currently run a Saito100 in my .60 size H9 twist and it goes pretty good but it is a smaller plane. Any thoughts on a 125? Or is this worht looking at the Zenoah gasser mentioned above??? Additionally, does anyone have any opinions of the hardware that comes with the CGP planes and should any of it not be used? Look forward to your insight.

-Jay K.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Ektork

After careful consideration, I'm now leaning towards the OS FS-120 III with pump for my 67" CGP YAK 54 . The weight of the RCS140se concerns me, and also I could not find horsepower specs. With the RCS140se the rudder & elevator servos may need to be relocated to the tail to avoid adding useless weight. Another thing to consider: Tower is running a $40 gift certificate on the OS FS-120 III with pump. That combined with the online order discount gets this engine for around $300. The RCS140se will run $477 with the pitts muffler and $7 shipping (I called RC Showcase on the shipping). Still, the RCS140se is very tempting, not having to clean up the oily mess left by the glow engine. But I believe the OS FS-120 III with pump will be a better performer, it's lighter and it's $177 less (approximately). Saito makes a 1.25 4 stroke engine, I actually have one on a different plane. I have heard rumors that as a result of Saito lightening it up that some people have had problems overheating. I have not had that problem, probably because I run the engine real rich. Even though I have had no problems with the Saito, I will probably go with the OS this time around. I plan to use some but not all of the included hardware. I like using ball links and will do so for most linkages. The servos I plan to use are S9001 for the throttle and S3050 everywhere else.

Randy K.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:54 PM
MX240

Randy,
I am the person putting a OS 120 pumper in mine. Got it up on the main gear today and with the fuselage held level the OS prop shaft is approximately 12" high. This means to me that I could use my Satio 180 and it's 18 inch prop. At this time I have that Satio in another plane...but IF this OS dosen't work???
I have another OS 120 in a 10lb (with fuel) pattern plane and it files the expert pattern OK for me....but this pattern plane dosen't have a BIG round cowl.

Just my opinion..........I would think something like a Satio 150 and a 16" prop would be good???
But, I don't think Tower has these engines on sale.
I could have mine flying in a couple days....but it was zero here this morning...sooooo don't hold your breath.
Jim
Old 12-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Ektork

I ordered the Saito 1.50 today... Thanks Jim
Old 12-12-2006, 06:31 PM
MX240

Randy,
LOL I would think that Saito 150 would be good. I started my OS 120 in the Yak this afternoon (it's new) and ran a couple of tanks through it and set the idle. Sounds good and pulls good with 15-8 BUT, it was only fifty degrees and they all pull good at that temp. It's when it gets 85 to 90 when you find you have a dog. Last I checked it weight 11lbs.
UPDATE............ Mine was NOSE HEAVY when I went to mound the reciever battery in the front. I had planed to use a JR1800 MA but had to go with a 1400MA battery behind the receiver. I also mounted the throttle servo in the hole under the wing tube with the rest of the servos. You have to break out a little piece of wood to twist it in there, but leaves the whole front open for the tank. Went with a smaller fuel tank and is good for a full 10 min so with my style flying should be good for 12 min with landing.

Might?? fly mine this friday???
Old 12-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Dave Bushong

Jim,

Keep us posted! I am anxious to see if you are able to have your first flight this Friday!

Dave B
Old 12-16-2006, 07:22 PM
MX240

I typed a nice report the first time and was timed out and lost it soooo I am right now sending some pictures of a very successful flight and when my blood pressure goes down will type more later.
I guess a person should copy everything before they click OK on here.

Name:	Ay73401.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	578515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98720.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	578516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43286.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	578517  
Old 12-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Dave Bushong

Great! Can't wait for your report. I got my YAK out today and am getting anxious to start woriking on it. It was close to 70 degrees here so that does not help any. Great pictures and realy would like to know how the plane handles.

Dave B
Old 12-16-2006, 08:28 PM
MX240

OK we will try this again!
Today (Saterday) was cold (47) overcast with a 20MPH north wind. It was a kind of day that makes your eyes water when flying.
The Yak took-off and I found it needed up-trim to get level. All other trims were OK. The OS pumper pulled the Yak up-wind without much trouble. Three big loops were good. Rolls were Yak-like and were perfect. I am useing 40% diferentional dialed into the transmitter...more up aileron (1/4") then down.
Slow flight is stable...but pull way back on the stick and she will fall off on either wing. I didn't try inverted flight....darn! Coming in for a landing in rough air I touched down and then ballooned up about three feet...I added a little power to get her going again and touched down again. The Yak didn't try to drop a wing doing this. Back at the pits I see I am carrying a little up-trim???
My OS120 works good for me....but if you like to roar down the runway and haul back on the stick to go out-of-sight vertical you will need more HP. This plane weighs 11lbs 10oz with no fuel.
Nice plane
Jim
Old 12-17-2006, 10:01 PM
MX240

The first test flight I had to add a fair amount of up trim. Back in my shop this afternoon I laid my incidence meter on a level fuselage then checked the up trim elevator and IT WAS LEVEL even though the counter balance leading edge of the elevator was down 1/16" compared to the leading edge of the stab. So the counter balances are off.

I didn't use a muffler on the flex pipe of my OS. Used a large wood screw into firewall with hose screw clamp to hold everythig tight. Sound isn't too bad.

I didn't use the wire push rods for elevators. I used Suillivan Precision 36" 4/40 rods. Some hobby shops list them as "composite" rods.

Good luck
Jim
Old 12-30-2006, 11:00 PM
jwk72

OK, I have a fairly serious question (at least it is to me) for you guys who have actually flown this plane. I'll try to be somewhat brief, but it is about ability level needed to fly this thing. My local hobby shop guy as well as a few others said I would have no problem, but since I have bought it I've talked to a few others that have made me wonder. I started flying last summer on a H9 P-51 pts trainer. I handled that fine even without the traing gear. I flew it with the droops on most of the time and had about a half dozen flights with them off. I went out and bought a H9 Twist .60 size and have about a half dozen flights on it so far before winter. Seems to be a good stable plane, but I have not really put it through the ringer yet. And if it counts for anything, I spend about 10 hours a week on either the FSone or G3.5 simulators.

Now with that said, do you think this plane is too much for me? The last thing I want to do is blast the thing into a bunch of toothpicks on my first landing. I don't seem to have any problems on the sims, but I'm smart enough to know that they are just simulators. If I'm going to exchange this plane for another one I have to do it now, it was damaged during shipping and I have to bring it back to exchange it. Should I go for the same thing??? I want to get into doing aerobatics and 3D and figure this might be a good place to start. Some of the people I've talked to say that Yaks in general can get really squirrely really fast on landings and that I might want to go to a bigger plane that is more stable on landings.

I'm anxious to hear everyones thoughts, I only have a day or so to make a decision.

-Jay K.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Dave Bushong

Jay,

Jay I wish I could give you some first hand advice. I never have flown a Yak. I have the one you have but am sitting on it until I get some more experience flying and get some guys flying this plane with different engines to see how it does. I hope to be flying it by this spring.

I personally would advise you to get some more time with your Twist. It is a great plane to learn 3D with. My cub is very squirrelly on take off and it has helped me with the learning curve. I have been hard on it and I have spent some time repairing it this winter. It is ready to fly once again and if I ding it up I will chalk it up for experience. Once I feel comfortable with it I will make my decision on how to power the Yak and take a deep breath and go with it.

I love how the Yak flies on the G3.5!

Dave B
Old 01-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Ektork

Jay,

My new Yak has not been flown yet but with my experience I pretty much know what to expect. I'm with Dave... get some more experience! If you have the Yak setup docile and your flying field is forgiving (big long open landing area with no closeby trees) you might do ok, but why risk it. My advice is to put it away for now and continue to gain more experience. Another alternative is to have a real experienced guy buddy box you. I'm positive you will have no trouble flying it around and doing basic manuevers but it may get a little tense on approaches and landings. He could shoot a few for you and then you could do some and he could take over if needed.
BTW my Yak is practically ready, I just need to install the battery, voltage regulator, balance and setup the radio. Problem is, the weather has turned ugly and I have to go back to work tomorrow. I'm thinking in a couple weeks my Yak should be airborne.

Randy
Old 01-01-2007, 12:06 PM
MX240

Jay, You would have no problem flying this airplane.........but it is much bigger then what you have flown. There is a technique to flying a bigger plane. A lot of it on landing and comming in for a landing with some power IF you have a head wind. Dave is right. Learn a little longer on something that is cheaper$$.
Here is a picture of my daughter and my two Goldberg Yaks.
Enjoy
Jim

Name:	Hf98488.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	588158  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.