Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sig's new Waco SRE

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig's new Waco SRE

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:21 AM
thetireman1
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig's new Waco SRE

That's nice to hear that the kit has been changed to accomodate recessed servos as it should have had in the first place. What do I do now seeing that I have bought the ARF and mine will have the servos hanging out of the wing!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:07 AM
silver.kiwi

ORIGINAL: thetireman1

That's nice to hear that the kit has been changed to accomodate recessed servos as it should have had in the first place. What do I do now seeing that I have bought the ARF and mine will have the servos hanging out of the wing!
Do what I did and buy the servo covers from Hobby Lobby. It's a little hard to do, but take your time and work carefully and it will be rewarding.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88800.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	951821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81258.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	951822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33015.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	951823  
Old 06-08-2008, 08:40 PM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

I have a landing gear problem with my SRE. It's the nylon bushings that fit into the aluminum landing gear struts that the axles go through. After 3 or 4 landings (smooth landings! It's hard to make any other kind with this airplane) the bushings came out and made the wheels rub the pants resulting in a nasty nose over. Inspection showed that the axles were binding in the bushings instead of sliding back and forth with the flex and that pulled the bushings out. I cleaned the axles and added a little lube and solved that issue but now the bushings won't stay in place. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and figured out a fix for it. New bushings might help if I could get some from SIG.

Otherwise, I love the airplane. It flies great on my O.S. FS-91.

Bill
WACO Brotherhood #21
Old 06-28-2008, 06:58 AM
photo1

I am just about to receive my Waco & I don't know of anyone else in New Zealand who may have one.
I already have a .91 ASP 4 stroke and I would like opinions as to wether this will be enough to power the SRE.
If this size is only just enough I would rather purchase another bigger motor than risk underpower. However I am reluctant to spend another $450 unless necessary.
Good advice would be most appreciated.

Terry
Old 06-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Didg

Terry,

I have an RCV 91 in mine (14x6 APC) and it has plenty of power for this airframe - 1/2 throttle take offs.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:02 PM
S. Christensen

Hi Terry,
Although I've not run an ASP .91 four-stroke personally, I can tell you that the displacement is just fine for the Waco. I did a great deal of prototype testing with a very tired old O.S. .90 in the nose and the airplane flew just fine. Regardless of the make of the engine, reliability is the number one issue. Have fun!
Scott @ SIG
Old 06-28-2008, 05:16 PM
photo1

Thanks guys for your advice. I now feel comfortable with using the .91.
The ASP (same motor as the Magnum I suspect) is incredibily reliable & starts first time always.
I give the main needle a tweak now & again, usually due to air temp changes, but otherwise leave it alone.
I love that 4 stroke sound & if I could afford it I would have a 2 cylinder. $NZ don't stretch as far as $US or Euros.

Terry
Old 06-30-2008, 02:30 AM
rockz

Hi Terry,i have the Waco and flew it for 6 months or more on a asp 90 and it had tons of power, changed it for a Saito 90 twin which i aquired , much more scale like now.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 AM
photo1

Great, someone else from NZ with a Waco. Did you go to the trouble of fitting a fake radial? I am thinking about it but I'm not sure where I can get one from other than the US.
Congrats on your twin Saito - love to have one myself.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:17 PM
rockz

I have a fake radial from o tf thunderbolt [i think]but dont think ill fit it .rather look at twin cylinders.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:20 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Well, now that this plane has my attention, Lemme guess, It' now out of production and you can't find any [ like the Cox/Pica Waco YMF ]. MM
Old 06-30-2008, 09:29 PM
skylarkmk1

MM,

Don't know if you are a builder or not, but the Vintage and Antique forum has a build thread for the Pica Waco YMF. Plans with templates (be sure to ask for the templates) are available from the AMA, plan # 35406. The House of Moy http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ , has the manuals and other info related to the build. Check the list of Plans, Kits and Resources for other Waco Plans if the YMF or SRE don't fit the bill. Cleveland, M.A.N., FM, RCM and others all have other Waco models to build.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:24 PM
MormonMike

Well thank you kindly, I'll look into it MM
Old 07-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: S. Christensen

silver.kiwi,
........ a working inside cowl dia. of 7-1/2"..................

Scott Christensen

Does this mean my 7-1/2 inch wide Saito 130TD would fit without modifcation?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Tailgunner-RCU

Seems the Saito 100 powers the plane quite well. I have a OS Gemini twin 120, that needs a home.

I wonder if it will provide enough power to do some "unscale" aerobatics?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:56 AM
MormonMike

Well Guy's, mine showed up today. Yup, the "Golden Age" bug has really bit hard and "clamped-down" on me. Scott, I too am a modeler and will put forth a lot of detail and effort into this one for show and flight. Too bad there's no chance of getting the Pica/Cox YMF version.... oh well... And last, Watch out on your plastic servo covers, they will crack in the corners and brake off from vibration. Believe me, I know. Seeya, MM
Old 07-22-2008, 02:47 PM
S. Christensen

MormonMike,
You haven't seen anyone asking about the scale spinner because it is included in the kit - look a little harder? I've built and am flying one of the Waco versions with the plastic servo hatches and have not experienced any failures of their corners. That said, perhaps over-tightening the mounting screws sets such failures in motion. Good luck and have fun.
Scott @ SIG
Old 07-24-2008, 08:03 AM
MormonMike

Top right wing warped really bad, we'll give the people a call at SIG and see how we can correct it. Beautiful plane ! MM
Old 07-27-2008, 09:24 PM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone tell me how may inches aft of the top wing the center of gravity is?
I have mine balanced at the main spar of the top wing, and that seems quite nose heavy.
Couldn't get it to takeoff, just nosed over, even with full up elevator during taxi.
Thank You in advance.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:32 AM
S. Christensen

cjtyped,
On page 34 of the assembly manual, it states that the correct Center of Gravity is located 4-3/8" behind the leading edge of the top wing. This provides a 29% CG location, one that the airplane seems to like very well in the air.
Regards,
Scott @ SIG
Old 08-17-2008, 09:53 AM
MormonMike

Very nice maiden flight. Extremely sensitve rudder response though. Best to dial in a lot of expo and a high rate of only a few degree's of rudder for in-flight use and crank it up on the dual rate when on the ground for steering. One small diameter hole just behind the valve cover openings eliminates the need for a glow driver. Just a personal prefrence for my design. At 4500 feet altitude the plane struggles to fly with a Saito 1.00 and the 15-6 prop just is'nt enough. maybe a 14- 7 or a 15-7 would help to increase airspeed but no one makes that type of prop in wood with that degree of pitch [ except APC ]. Has anyone else have a tail-heavy problem ?, took three ounces of lead mounted to the engine mount for mine to balance out . Other than that, it's beautiful and easy to land. MM
Old 08-17-2008, 05:50 PM
maynardrupp

I have been flying my SRE most of the summer. We have a Saito 100 in the airplane and have had problems with it shutting down in the air due to overheating. I cut the lower rear of the cowling back to within 1/2" of the valve cover notches. This cutout is the width of the recess on the belly for the muffler. Cooling problem is now solved. It isn't that hot here in Michigan so I am sure others are having this problem also. There just isn't enough area to get the air out of that cowl. The only other problem is noseovers on landing. I have solved the axle locking the wheel problem. I have also snuck 1/4" larger BuBro wheels and tires in the wheel pants. e added a Sullivan tailwheel and bent that to get the tail down. The wheel pants were opened to be sure that no binding occurs. I still have the problem. I am now trying to move the CG farthur back to get the wheels farther ahead of that CG. Ours has the same Saito 100 that Sig used for the plans. They claim no lead was needed. I added about 9oz. to get the correct CG. Now I removed 1oz. More later.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:51 PM
MormonMike

Ya know, that was my next question [about the overheating ] I too, will open the cowl a little. I've already installed better DuBro tires, opened the wheel pants around the base and added a Sullivan tail wheel set-up too. I don't seem to have a problem with nos-ing over but it sure scared the hell out of the wife and me when I brought it in a little too slow and dang-neared tip stalled it. Gadfrys ! good thing it was'nt a dead-stik else it would have cart-wheeled along the runway. VERY CLOSE CALL ![X(]. Seeya around, MM
Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 AM
S. Christensen

maynardrupp,
For what it's worth, we have been flying three Waco models here at SIG for many months now. Each of these models is powered with a Saito 1.00, set-up and installed exactly per the assembly manual, with no additional openings in the cowl. In fact, one of these models - my own personal Waco - has a fully detailed Wing Mfg. 9-cyl. dummy radial installed in front of the actual engine. To maintain cooling air over the engine head, the bottom two dummy cylinders were removed. In the case of all three of these models, no over-heating of any kind has ever occured, including a great many flights on very hot Iowa summer days. We use 15% all-synthetic SIG 4-stroke fuel and all three of these engine installations include an MPI onboard glow system. So I'm hard-put to understand why your engine installation is over-heating in the dead-stock configuration when ours does not. Perhaps there's another variable going on with your particular model.

We typically fly off of a grass runway here at SIG and have had no nose-over issues. My personal method for landing this model is to drop the flaps about 1/2 way down during the base leg of the landing and keeping just a bit of extra throttle in the engine. I then fly the airplane into the final landing leg and aim for an imaginary point in the center of the runway, flying it down to this point. Just before touchdown I chop the throttle to full idle and allow the airplane to settle into a three-point touchdown. This landing procedure works well for me. The only variable is how much flap I use in landing. This is dicatated by wind conditions - a lot of wind requires virtually no flap input, while just a little wind allows the use of some flap input.

MormonMike,
The Waco rudder is fairly positive but I don't think that it could be called "extreme". The Waco flat turns about as nicely as the Rascal 110 and 40 models and should be managed accordingly. We all fly differently and I can tell you for sure that while I use rudder input on all models, I try to learn the rudder response of any airplane at various speeds at "3-mistake high" altitudes.
Scott @ SIG
Old 08-18-2008, 08:56 AM
skylarkmk1

Scott,

Are you using baffles behind the dummy engine to direct the cooling air to the Saito? I don't have the SIG SRE so I am not aware of your set up but do have other aircraft where I used baffles to direct cooling air. The baffles are a big help in lowering engine temp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.