Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Giles engine thrust?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Giles engine thrust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 07:19 PM
davham
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Giles engine thrust?

Hello,

I have a bit of a problem with this plane. Well, actually two. The biggest one is my vertical down lines. At about 400 to 450 feet it pulls to the canopy so much that it is almost at level flight at fifty feet. At straight level flight, when I chop the throttle the plane noses up for a good distance. The flight trimming chart that came with the plane says to increase upthrust, but I have heard and read elsewhere that to fix the down line problem you increase downthrust. I have read a few post on other forums about thrust problems but which way should I go. It pulled right on uplines but I have fixed that. I have been flying for less then a year but I do learn fast and this problem makes no fun flying, stall turns look retarded. I would like to use this plane for my first IMAC event later this year when I feel I have a chance of not coming in last I would really like to keep this plane. The color makes it very easy to see whats going on but it really has to grow on you. For the other small problem, on take off it jumps in the air. This is fine for me but the problem is slowing the damn thing down upon landing. The field I fly from is short and on top of a hill. So there's almost no room for error. I've started killing the engine over the end of the runway and then hitting the rudder hard at the other end. This results in the plane BOUNCING sideways down the end of the runway. I know this is going to bite me hard one day but it's the only way to keep it from going over the hill and out of sight. I am on my second set of foam wheels. One "old timer" suggested adding resistance to the main gear wheels, this sounds like a good idea but what would be the best way to do this without having nose over problems? Not worried about take off, powered with a 160. And I fly off grass. I am sorry for the length of this, just wanted to give enough info. Thanks for any help, Dave
Old 02-08-2002, 10:46 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GP Giles

I'd have to say it has way too much downthrust. The wing could also have too much positive incidence. If you have a meter I'd check it. My Giles is at "0" on the wing with about 1.5 down and 2 right. I'm using different props but wide bladed 18-6 or 8 pitches seem about the best. I have flown with a few 10 pitch props and they don't slow down near as well on landing plus they torque the plane much more especially on the aborted landings.
The Giles has ony had a few reported problems, a few broke the wing (I cracked mine) but more than anything I've heard of thrust problems. There must be some kind of assembly inconsistancy because I have heard of wide ranges of up/down and right/left conditions. Mine was really pretty decent out of the box, I had to add 1/2 deg down and 1/2 deg right. I could use a bit more right with some props I've tried (10's mostly).
It's really a good plane but it does have a narrow speed range while landing. Too fast and it won't come down. Too slow and it'll snap in a hurry.
Good Luck,,,
basmntdweller