Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Cox Pica 1/5 Scale Waco ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Cox Pica 1/5 Scale Waco ARF

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:58 PM
spacewalk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cox Pica 1/5 Scale Waco ARF

greetings to all that fly the round cowl from St Louis. I'm the proud owner of a 1/5 pica model that is currently being recovered, but my wing fillets(plastic) are trash. Does anyone have an idea where i might order some? Or are they now something that must be fabricated on my own?Appreciate any info you might be able to give.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:27 AM
skylarkmk1

Spacewaik1,

You can make your own out of a little balsawood and thin ply, pretty easy to do and can be made more scale than what came in the kit. Check the Warbird Section on making fillets. I am on the otherside of StL and will send a PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:31 AM
spacewalk1

thanks skylark have recieved message and am grateful for the assistance. I look forward to being in the air once more with this impressive model when i can do it the justice it deserves. ROUND COWLS,TWO WINGS Dirty Dave, Team Epoxy Flyers
Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 AM
builder jim

I think I've found one.....
Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 AM
althepal88
My Feedback: (31)

Does anyone recognize this Waco? Kit built a while back. 120 OS/FS with a 56 inch wingspan.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 PM
skylarkmk1

althepal88

The picture did not come through. Try uploading it as a gif/txt/jpg/jpeg/pdf image. Any of those formates are supported. You may have better luck on the Waco YMF forum in Golden Age.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Steelie
My Feedback: (18)

Took a while for me to reply...A YEAR. Anyway,,,,I don't want to do "3D BS" as you say with this airplane, I simply want to add a smoke system (that adds weight) and want to do jumbo loops and knife edge, etc. with smoke on and have a big power reserve. I have a Saito 180, G38ei and Super Tigre 2500 with a OS 7D carb. I'm most concerned with wing loading. The 2500 weighs 3lbs. The G38 weighs 3.25lbs. and the Saito is a pound less but more expensive to run and an oily mess for cleanup. I would love to hear the Saito over the other 2 but........ any thoughts for balance issues with my choices?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:09 PM
spacewalk1

well,now have my waco recovered and assembled but am having trouble with the radio glitching through the throttle and airlon(?) servos,have tried separating battery packs,changed throttle servo twice,changed transmitter and reciever 3 times,re-routed elevator and rudder control rods,and even removed the linkage to the throttle,no glitches until ignition is on and motor fired. 28cc mc cullah on elect. ign. would appreciate any ideas or suggestions. ROUND COWLS,TWO WINGS thanks, gang
Old 05-11-2011, 01:07 PM
althepal88

Spacewalk1. You didn't say if you are using 2.4 or 72 band. With the 72 band, some guys have used a "choke" on the antenna. (Not sure exactly, but Radio Shack does). The rcxl opti-kill switch is supposed to eliminate interference between the ignition and the rcvr. I have the 72 band/opti-kill switch with my DLE 30 and no problems.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:17 AM
spacewalk1

appreciate the advice,have tried two 2.4ghz and three 72mgh units,all with the same results,(one new unit of each,the rest known good radios from other planes),have read on the other rcu threads of the same symptoms caused by a spark plug cap not fully seated,have checked and mine apparently was about 1/8 to 3/16 from being fully seated,I've not been able to check and see if that was cause due to rain the last few days,but if i still have problem i'll try a 72mgh unit with a choke.thanks again, ROUND COWLS,TWO WINGS Dirty Dave, Team Epoxy Flyers
Old 05-14-2011, 06:24 PM
spacewalk1

have replaced everything, finally got it to settle down,believe the problem to be too wide spark plug gap(newfangled one-pull high dollar with a gap of about 38thsnds.will try the maiden tommorrow on sunday fish fry-fly by and post report afterward.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:28 AM
spacewalk1

Actually made it up and down in one piece! the flight was slow,the motor loud, and it sure flies "heavy",but looks great on the ground and in the air. my thanks to all that have helped with this three year struggle and since i now can take one apart and put back together with my eyes closed,would be glad to offer assistance when i can. keep em flyin. ROUND COWLS,TWO WINGS Dirty Dave, Team Epoxy Flyers
Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 AM
althepal88

I am finally starting on my 1/5 Waco (Pica) that I have had in my room for the last six months. I want to correct any issues before I really get into it. I have gone over all of the ARF and Golden Age threads and my concern seems to be the landing gear. I don't want to have a failure of a bad solder joint. I am going over and over these threads and seem to have come to the conclusion that only some of the wires were breaking, but how can one really know which ones? I have purchased the Great Planes Waco landing gear and can work them in, but has anyone done this yet? And, if I had a DLE 20, I would mount it immediately; but all I have is a DLE 30 rear carb and a used Saito 150 GK. I'm leaning to the Saito, but that DLE runs so nice, idles so slow and starts so easy................help sway me!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:47 AM
skylarkmk1

althepal88,

Are you ASSEMBLING the COX ARF based on the Pica OR are you BUILDING the PICA kit? You are not exactly clear as to which you have started. If you are worried about the joints, get to the joint, clean it mechanically bright, wrap with some bare copper wire (I use phone wire (bell wire) stripped of the insulation) and re-solder with Flux (acid based) and a Silver solder such as Stay-Brite or Great Planes Silver Solder Kit # GPMR8070 (the kit has both solder and Flux). Use a clean well tinned IRON (no torch, it can get too hot and nothing will stick) of enough wattage (I use a soldering gun of 250 watts) to solder with. Done this way, you will not have to worry about the joints breaking, unless your soldering technique is poor.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can always do (or have it done) by gas welding. It is stronger, and easier

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 PM
althepal88

I am assembling the Cox/Pica 1/5th ARF. I have the Pica 1/6th hanging in the hangar and ready to take to the field for it's first flight in years. The 1/6th is a little rough; replaced all of the servos and links and got the old OS 120 running pretty good. Just want to fly it first, then make it pretty again.

As for the landing gear; this would be my first soldering job on landing gear so I might ask around for some of the local builders help. I've only been in the hobby for a few years and I have yet to attempt my first build. All I have done is one covering job on an older ARC a/c. A bipe is not a really good first build. I'm looking at something like the AMR trainer for a first build. Other than that, I have done a lot of repairs and rebuilds. I'm learning, but not fast enough.