Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:05 AM
naswifty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

link:
your assumption on it being a balsa strip is correct. When I did the now famous post crash repair, I completely stripped all the covering off my fuse and was surprised at how little wood there is in that area (hence all the failures) around the cockpit. I've contemplated the idea of designing a new replacement fuse done in fiberglass with plywood stiffiners like some manafactures do on the larger 33% and bigger 3D ships. just need to find a place that would do a plug (mold) without charging a thousand dollars to do so. If this happens, I'll make them available to all the 12 step T<->Taholics. . . .
jeff
Old 09-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Tylerostendorf

I hav a twist 40 and im putting a saito 82 in it i was wondering if i could get by with just standard servos? or would i have to upgrade them?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:09 AM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tyler, I think most of us Twistoids are using standard servos. I don't know if this is still the case, but if you use the bigger cased Futaba or HiTec's, you will have to open up the servo inlets a bit with a file or rasp to get the servos to fit. The smaller cased JR's will drop right in.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:52 AM
NCIS

Tyler,

I agree with Tim. I used Futaba S3004's in my 60 and it was fine so it will definitely be OK for the 40.

Gibbs
Old 09-03-2007, 12:28 PM
ofnamx107

Hey guys. Its been a while since I have been on but I finally got my Twist rebuilt(so I thought). I just got done flying about 20 minutes ago. When I took off, the plane shot straight into the air(that was with all control surfaces being level). I had to trim the elevator all the way forward and put flaps on for it to fly level. I guess when I rebuilt it I didnt get the wings and elevator parallel to each other. This is the second time I have done this. Do you guys have any tips on how to get these things level with each other because I am struggling to do so lol. Thanks.
-Cody
Old 09-03-2007, 12:35 PM
naswifty

ORIGINAL: ofnamx107

Hey guys. Its been a while since I have been on but I finally got my Twist rebuilt(so I thought). I just got done flying about 20 minutes ago. When I took off, the plane shot straight into the air(that was with all control surfaces being level). I had to trim the elevator all the way forward and put flaps on for it to fly level. I guess when I rebuilt it I didnt get the wings and elevator parallel to each other. This is the second time I have done this. Do you guys have any tips on how to get these things level with each other because I am struggling to do so lol. Thanks.
-Cody
Sounds to me that the CG is way too far aft of where it should be. check it before you take it up again. . .4.5" should be the perfect starting place.. .. ..
Old 09-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Tylerostendorf

alright i will just put my standard servos in it. Thanks
Old 09-03-2007, 01:13 PM
ofnamx107

Thanks Naswifty. I was so concerned about how parallel the wings and elevator were that I forgot to check my center of gravity. It was balanced at about 6.5 inches back[X(]. At 4.5 it would just flip straight back. Just to lay my concerns to rest, if the elevator and wing are not perfectly level with each other, how much will it effect flight?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:51 PM
linkadrip

ORIGINAL: naswifty

link:
your assumption on it being a balsa strip is correct. When I did the now famous post crash repair, I completely stripped all the covering off my fuse and was surprised at how little wood there is in that area (hence all the failures) around the cockpit. I've contemplated the idea of designing a new replacement fuse done in fiberglass with plywood stiffiners like some manafactures do on the larger 33% and bigger 3D ships. just need to find a place that would do a plug (mold) without charging a thousand dollars to do so. If this happens, I'll make them available to all the 12 step T<->Taholics. . . .
jeff
That would be real nice i have a lancair that has the fiberglass fuse. and a TVV!$T would be awesome in fiberglass. Hope you find a place that will do a cheap Plug (Mold).
I tuned my engine again this time i tuned it leaner then before hoping that when it gets up in the air and gets some altitude the thiner air will richen it a little and it wont die on me again. I have a O.S. .46 LA engine the blue one, that i was going to put in my lancair but i'm begining to think that i should put it in My TVV!$T, if this evolution problem continues. Evolution what a joke, so far its been the worst engine i have owned. Maybe i should put it in one of my moster trucks, seems to work fine on the ground. or i will make a swamp boat for it, and put a pusher prop on it.

I found out an intresting thing today that i didnt know that i thought i would share, but probably everyone else knows this already.

Glow plugs are quite often misunderstood. They are not kept working by ambient heat in the cylinder. Once you remove the glow igniter, they are kept hot by methane produced from the burning methanol chemically reacting with the “platinum†in the glow plug. Sure the engine temperature and compression do have some relevance to the correct ignition, but the primary reason glow plugs do what they do is because of this chemical phenomenon. So guess what happens if the platinum in your glow plug starts to deteriorate? You have poor ignition.

Lean runs are the biggest cause of glow plug break down. The platinum will start to deteriorate to such a point that only the perfect fuel air ratio will allow continuous running. A well set up 2-stroke glow motor should be capable of at least fifty flights on the same plug. For sport flying, that’s a lot of Saturdays. So why do we have so many glow plug problems? The reason is the incorrect fuel mixture. Most of us can achieve the correct mixture on the ground, but what happens when the aircraft is in the air? Most will notice an increase in rpm’s. More rpm means the engine is more than likely making more power in the air than it was on the ground. More power means more fuel.

I have a term: “Set to Kill.†This means I lean the high-speed needle to a point the engine can run no leaner before it stops. For an unpumped 2-stroke, this is way too lean. Instead, for sport flyers, I recommend finding the maximum rpm on the ground by running up the engine and setting the high-speed needle as lean as possible, then richen up the mixture 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. Your engine will make more power in flight than it ever has if you apply this tip.

Whats funny about this is i put 2 bran new plugs in my engine and ran them, just to do a run up or test and then they failed. guess i got the ones that came off the assembly line on friday.

well thanks for letting me vent a little i feel better now ready to try again
Old 09-03-2007, 03:26 PM
naswifty

ORIGINAL: ofnamx107

Thanks Naswifty. I was so concerned about how parallel the wings and elevator were that I forgot to check my center of gravity. It was balanced at about 6.5 inches back[X(]. At 4.5 it would just flip straight back. Just to lay my concerns to rest, if the elevator and wing are not perfectly level with each other, how much will it effect flight?
The secret to building an easy to trim, easy to fly plane is to keep all horizontial surfaces on an even "plane". with that in mind, check and see what you have. if the horizantal stab is off, then that will influence it's ability to maintain level flight. . .

complicated answer to simple question

get a 3' yardstick and tape it thru the centerline of the outside of wing and then step back and look at the stab and compair the alignment of both. being off a little in't too bad, but as the differences get greater, more trim will have to be added to offset it, or the cg would have to be changed to compinsate.

jeff
Old 09-04-2007, 05:58 AM
fldime

Crashed my 40 Twist monday. What a great plane, I have had it almost a year. The wing was destroyed but the the fuse is an easy repair. I want to upgrade to an OS61. Is there a reason not to mount it on its side so the exhaust comes out the bottom? What size prop is best with the 61? Do I need to raise the gear for clearance , I fly off a grass strip? This thread is such a great resource, Thanks for any help.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Waldopepperaxel

WOW Talk about activity, A guy goes away for 3 days and I had to read the T_ _ _ T Novel last night, I'm going to attempt to catch up here with Minimal words as not to create another book in replies.

Welcome all you new T _ _ _ T ers

skukreja - am very very happy to hear of the report,, The Bipe T_ _ _ T looks AWESOME and glad to hear it flys, I'm sure you'll get her ironed out now, How do you think it will handle with 3 wings? (thats for my winter project.)

NCIS Thanks,,, I am a kit builder and believe me I'm not hiding behind ARF's The only reason I ever even bought a T_ _ _ T was because one of my Planes smashed in while we were moving, so I had no tools available or my building area, it was all in storage, Hence I had to buy an ARF, and I built that on my floor, the foam mig was given to me,, other then that, no other ARF's, since I've been 8 years old I have been building kits, There is no other way,,, But I did happen to fall in love with the T_ _ _ T and have met so many great people here I think I will always own one now. Its a blast of a plane to fly, as far as a master builder,, I am very far from it, I can repair anything and new mono-cote always makes the worst building job look great... gotta love itAs I save up some money I hope to build some nice scale planes for sure, and then I will see how my building skills really measure up.

Link,, Thanks for that info, I never knew that about the glow plug, I always thought it was kind of like a deisel, the heat always kept it going... I can't believe I still learn things here every single day... I'm almost embarrassed about it for as long as I have been involved. [sm=red_smile.gif]

DownT,,, What gives??? Did you find a buyer

Tylerostendorf Standard Servos are fine in this bird.

ofnamx107 do you know what your wing incidence is?

fldime Sorry to hear of the crash,, get her back up there it is a great little plane

Well I maidened my rebuilt T_ _ _ T Saturday Morning, I just put her all back together like normal and went flying, She was snappy as hell,, almost out of control, but she flew very nice after trimming her out and trying to figure out what was going on, anyway I took her home and she balanced at 6. something, so maybe all the extra glue and wood was more then I thought, I may have to move my battery back up front now,, LOL,, I've been trying for the 5.00 CG all these years,, well I got it now,, lol. it really took me by surprise. But shes back in the sky again and thats all that matters to me,, I was the only one there so I flew her 3 times and then came home, we packed up the van and moved to Saratoga lake for 3 days,, it was great,, what a weekend. SUNNY,,,, WATER,,, PONTOON BOAT,,,way too much food, and much needed practice on elbo bending exercises.

Hope I covered it all I'm sure I didn't,, good to be back though..

Old 09-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Downtrodden

Waldo.......no I didn't sell the Corsair combo even after lowering it down to $450! I guess times being what they are everyone is looking for a deal. I suppose there is no harm in letting them gather dust in the attic, either. And fuel at 10 bucks a gallon! But when you think of the hassle to ship it, I suppose I would have to sell it at $6/gallon for someone to even consider it. One really gets a sense of how much this hobby stuff is marked up when they themselves try to get rid of it. (There's not a chance in Hell that you'll recover 75 cents on the dollar.) Oh well, the fishing has been good anyway. Take care.

downtrodden
Old 09-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Here is my completed T___T ready for the dance. I installed a little Saito 56 for the rest of the year untill I Install my Saito 82A
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80496.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	756639  
Old 09-04-2007, 08:29 PM
skukreja
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Waldopepperaxel

skukreja - am very very happy to hear of the report,, The Bipe T_ _ _ T looks AWESOME and glad to hear it flys, I'm sure you'll get her ironed out now, How do you think it will handle with 3 wings? (thats for my winter project.)
Three wings sounds like a great idea, but it is going to be alot to handle. I can tell you than the alignment of two wings was a PITA enough. Additionally, getting the lowering wing to support the lift and loads of the top wing was tricky given the frail balsa that makes up the wing ribs and such. I'm not sure how you'll be able to attach the third wing and keep it secure. The only other variable I see is the lift that you'll get. Ideally, if you were to mount additional wings (and I wish I could've done this on mine), the wings would be altogether moved back on the fuse. With all the front-end lift, the plane wants to reach for the sky, but not in a good way. I do wish you luck on yoru endeavour and if I can be of any help along the way, let me know. I took pictures throughout the build so you can tell you where I would've done things very differently.

I think ultimately I will need a CG of 2-3" to get this thing under control. On the up side, I think I have a higher lift to weight ratio than most gliders as it is, it would be insane with another wing. I wish I could get my videos loaded (I'm having problems downloading from the camera) but with this much wing, it just floats, and floats, and floats. My landing was completely hands off - I couldn't put the transmitter down and walked away and the plane would've been ok.

Sachin
Old 09-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Hey Taildrager, That looks like a T_ _ _ T ready for the sky for sure,, good luck on the maiden.

skukreja- Thanks for the advice, I was thinking I may have to install two stabilizers to counter the weight on the 3 wings LOL,,, I can't wait to see the video of the Bipe flight,,, git-r-dunnnn

DownT,, Yeah I think the only way to at least make some of your money back is to sell locally for sure, Shipping is a killer these days with all the shape based rates,, I know this because I work in a mailroom, lol, been locked down here for 23 years now[&o] one day,,,,,,,,,, I keep saying lol. it pays the bills and keeps me flying I guess.

Fly on good people
Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM
NCIS

Decals,

I decided the add some spice to my Twist 150. I am going to put this sweety on it.

Gibbs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13551.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	757119  
Old 09-05-2007, 07:23 PM
nitrobeast

Hey guys

I got my magnum 70 today and ran into a mounting problem. Basically it doesnt fit on the mounts. The bottom of it is fat and doesnt let the engine mounts lay flat on the engine mount . Do you guys use different mounts or mod the stock one? Need some help please. Im affraid to trim the mount and then it brake in flight. Can someone with a magnum 70 please post a pic of theres?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Waldopepperaxel

NCIS I like that spice....

Nitrobeast, some other T _ _ _ Ters have shaved the stock mounts to fit there over sized motors without any problems, you can also fill the old holes and drill new holes in the firewall for a wider position for the mounts, you'll just have to cut into the covering to access the blind nuts is all, I'm sure some others will chime in also... Good luck.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:24 PM
naswifty

For my Saito 72, I just had to shave a bevel cut to both sides. took a peice of scrap ply and made a template off paper that came with engine, then cut it to fit between cheeks in engine compartment. took a sharpened 16D nail as my scribe and made marks on both sides of engine mount, then used my Dremel with a sanding drum to SLOWLY sand till engine sat flat. not too complicated to do, just keep checking after every pass with whatever you use to sand away the mounts. . . .remember, you can't go back once too much is taken off. . . . I learned that the hard way years ago . . . . hahahahaha
Jeff
Old 09-05-2007, 08:54 PM
nitrobeast

Thanks for the tips guys. As i looked at it a little more i noticed that it doesnt fit by about 3mm. I will just sand down the mount a little bit and all should be fine. Now the carb is another story. I think im gonn have to cut alot off the plane for that. We will see tomorrow.

Thanks again
Old 09-08-2007, 03:08 PM
skukreja
My Feedback: (6)

So the Twist Bipe is officially dead..

I was out at the field this morning trying to get her tuned right. The Magnum 91FS was running stronger than ever. To help the CG issues, I strapped the battery to the "cheeks", effectively putting it just underneath the engine. Even with this and the heavy engine, she still flew very tail-heavy (or should I saylight up front). Regular flight and 3D was beautiful. I had it trimmed perfectly, it did everything I threw at it, was totally stable in the sky - what else could you ask for. Slow maneuvers were incredible. I could cruise the entire flying field at idle and the nose wouldn't drop - of course this slow flying came with a curse - it was damn near impossible to land. The elevator required about 15 degrees of down trim to fly level and only about 1 1/2" of throw for full 3D (including climbing flat spins).

It was a little gusty, 10-12mph. I was on approach about 25-30ft in the air. A gust hit and the nose pitched up about 40-60 degrees. I had a complete flight and the fuel tank was near empty (I had already made four or five unsuccessful passes so now the CG was even further back). I'm not sure if the engine died when it pitched up from lack of fuel, but she actually stalled and spiraled in. I suppose you can stall anything if you try hard enough.

The carnage was bad. I had gorilla glued the fuse before in the areas that were notoriously weak. She broke everywhere else. I think she came in straight on the nose because the prop was in immaculate condition. The bottom wing was literally destroyed and in many pieces. The top wing was largely spared except for a sizeable ding to the corner of the right leading edge. The tail was of course, unscathed.

All in all, I feel like this was a worthwhile project. I can't get over how well it flew and how well it flew so slowly. It could literally crawl through the skies. Unfortunately, all that wing worked towards it detriment. I will likely try the project again over the winter if I have some downtime. I will try and get the carbanes laser cut and will design it so the top wing has some down angle (a few degrees). I may have to mount a smoke a system just for the sake of moving the CG and I could mount an additional battery up front. Otherwise I could also try some more weight on the prop. The one video I have won't download from the camera for some reason. It views fine on the camera but won't transfer to the computer. If I ever get that figured out I'll post it up. Later all and thanks for the kind words thus far,

Sachin
Old 09-08-2007, 09:27 PM
WizzBang

skukreja - Sorry to hear about your loss. I would probably rebuild it and try to fix the problems on the next attempt. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Waldopepperaxel

skukreja, Also sorry to hear of the demise of such a beautiful plane, at least you were able to see how she flew and found that it was all worth it,, That is great! I hope you do rebuild her and at least I may know now what I'm going to have to try and conquer with attempting the tri, Luckily for me, we are hopefully going to aquire some new members to our club, They are all Aerospace engineers from a college with no field to fly in, they caught wind of us and came out this week to fly with us,, they were a great bunch of guys, hopefully we can steel some of their engineering skills and advice on the T_ _ _ T project i'm going to attempt this winter.

Good luck and I'm glad you at least got to cruise her around for a whole flight,, thats great!!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:11 PM
NCIS

Sachin,

Sorry about the crash. But maybe somethings just aren't meant to be. If you do build another one, I hope you have complete success.

Gibbs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.