Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMP Extra 330L 50 size

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMP Extra 330L 50 size

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 11:53 PM
camcclellan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMP Extra 330L 50 size

Does anyone else have this airplane Extra 330L 50 size from Nitroplanes.com. I have one but I lake to know who else has one?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80459.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	588750  
Old 01-31-2007, 11:05 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: CMP Extra 330L 50 size

I believe Nitro Models has 2 sizes of this plane. The big one is 80 inch wingspan. Is the one in the photo the 80 inch version? Capt,n
Old 02-01-2007, 02:11 AM
georgee

Hi,

No,it"s the 50 inch version on the photo. I saw one NIB yesterday in a shop.You can also buy it in red color.The
80 inch version is also existing in red color.

Georgee
Old 04-21-2007, 09:02 PM
oddpaint

Well I had a 330L until today. Yes I crashed it. The hardware was POS and the instructions are just inadequate. I worked with this model for about a month trying to get the weight and CG right. I could not get any tech support from CMP or the company I got the 330L from. I guess you get what you pay for.

On take off the right wing clipped the runway and at this point the wing tube bent. Then the plane snapped and ripped the left wing off. It did not even hit that hard but the model was trashed.

I can not recommend to any one to buy a CMP model.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:51 PM
jfergy

DON"T BUY THIS PLANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hardware SUXXXXXXXXXX
support SUXXXXXXXXXXX
CG for the plane OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buddy and i bought one all robart , dubro hardware evolution 52 engines futaba 3020 digitals
havee to add lots of WEIGHT TO THIS PEICE OF SHI**. IT SUXXXXXXXX

DONT BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2007, 08:21 PM
reincarnate

Huh. I recently bought the CMP Extra 300S 140 size for a cheap, every weekend fun flyer. Wasn't expecting much as the cost was low, but I ended up with a great airplane, with a little extra attention during the assembly. The only weak spot is the directions, but unless you haven't built many ARF's before, doesn't present any problems. Supplied hardware, except for the supplied hinge point/control horn combo (similar to Robart's old "horney hinge points") went to the bin, but then again it usually does. Oh yeah, and the ABS wheel pants were only installed for the photo op.

BTW, just to give an example of how tough this airframe is, I bolted a Saito 220 on it, and am turning a 20X6 Xoar prop. Flies like a dream, and has become a personal and club favorite.

I know this isn't the plane you were talking about, but CMP has come a long way, and their customer support actually rivals some of the bigger names (in my own experience.) Not doubting you jfergy, just giving another perspective. Sorry about your luck.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:56 PM
jfergy

OK Reincarnate heres how it was with this plane. Im an assistance manager in a hobby shop. The owner and i have been flying for 5 years and have built many arfs togeather ( don't have time to build kits but would like too someday). So we setup with this new distributer to get these 50 size planes, they are Very nice looking and we liked the fiberglass fuse they had. If we liked the planed we planed to get some more for the store to sell. As we started to dive into these planes, it was obvious that the hardware was NOT very good. I would have rather used CA hinges than the aluminum hollow pins that came with it. SO we changed it ALL out except the elevator stock setup and the pull-pull aluminum servo arm and wires. Everything else was changes to robart and dubro. We built it all up and were ready to check the CG, The manual has a lot to be desired in it. Confused on it because it looks like it was supposed to be measured at the fuse in the book, so we checked it. We ended up putting a 5 cell 3300 nmh in the front under the tank to get some weight in it to balance. WAY too tail heavy. Still needed more on the front, like 20 oz+. Then we called the distributer to get help, we didnt think that you would have to add a 5# weight to balance. Support said and i quote " The correct way to balance the plane is at the wing tips 90-96 mm back from the leading edge." We said that we couldn't tell in the manual and that we added a large receiver pack to attempt to balance it. So we used that measurement to balance the plane.

FIRST FLIGHT--- Immeditely after takeoff-- WAY TOO TAIL HEAVY!!!!!! Uncontroable nose up/down pitches. The 15+ hours a week on the simulator and 5+ years flying 3D, aerobatic, and sport planes helped me to land this tail heavy brick without breaking it into a hundred peices. Packed up and left the field.

Called distributer back-- said we had problems and he said quote again " We haven't had any issues with any CG problems, you should check the online forums to see if people are having problems with it." What the hell kind of support is that. Telling me to look online for support for thier product. He reasured me that the correct CG position is 90-96 MM AT THE TIPS FROM THE LEADING EDGE.

With what he says on the CG for this plane it is behind the wing tube about 60-70% aft of the leading edge at the fuse. I talked to and showed some 30-40+ year vetren modelers who knoiw the math to get the exact CG for tapered wing planes. He came up with that it actually should be 90-96 mm from the leading edge AT THE FUSELAGE. REPEAT NOT THE TIPS!!!! AT THE FUSE!!!! With the CG at where is should I would have to add 2+ POUNDS to the front of this plane to get it to balance correctly. With some reading on forums here, this is a common problem for this plane. People are flying this thing with four stroke 90's on it. I want an aerobatic plane not a speed racer.

Other sizes of this plane are doing ok it seens but this one is a nightmare to own and build.

These planes will make beautiful decorations in the shop where I work and a great converstion piece of a really good looking plane that should never have be put into prodiction to the public. Stick with Hangar 9, Great Planes, SIG, Seagull, Top Flight, Wild Hare, and other REPUTABLE companys not some flashy cheep airplanes that look pretty.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 PM
camcclellan

Ok this plane recomended CG's are way off. I too have been flying for years. When I got this plane it took a long time for me to get use to it. I have a OS 61 on my and I had to put the battery all the way to the front. This thing will snap out of loops with very little applied elevator. It lands very fast so becareful with your approaches.

After you get it all lined out it flies good.