Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

G-26 in a CMP hellcat?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

G-26 in a CMP hellcat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:06 PM
bfd04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-26 in a CMP hellcat?

I would like to know if a G-26 will fit in a CMP Hellcat 71" WS. Will the motor be to heavy for this plane? Will the engine fit within the cowl?
Thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 06:51 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: G-26 in a CMP hellcat?

You will have to cut a hole for the carb and sparkplug, you might be able to keep your muffler inside..but you will be making a exhaust hole in it somewhere unless you plan on it exiting along the sides of the cowl...

I haven't seen this combination exactly fly, but I have heard of the plane with g23's and g26's on the long cmp hellcat thread on the warbird forum...
Old 02-12-2007, 10:33 PM
forestroke

it is fine. every single CMP warbird has a G23 or G26 in the bonnet. it's the engine of choice. they figure that these planes not only need the nose weight, they also would benefit from the reliability of a gasser. the flame outs on these engines are few and far between. the only time i ever see them deadstick is when the LHS owner flies his 45cc trainer out of gass on purpose: 30 minutes. have fun!
Old 02-13-2007, 06:15 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Having built one, and even though I have used gassers for many years, I never considered one for this size plane.

I still think the new Saito 125 is a much better choice. Cowled in engine, plenty of power, less weight.

I like to use weight I already need (battery, servos, fuel, gear support) and find ways to move this forward when I need to.

This plane is not that bad for a scale warbird though, and I did a lot of detailing. Retracts would need to be very stout for that engine as well. 1/2" srtuts and extra bracing.

Only my humble opinions. I have a Spit of the same size that I am building this winter, so I'm facing most of the same issues right now. Have fun.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:31 PM
bfd04

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at some of the weights that people were comming out with on their finished planes. I have a g-26 not being used thats why I was asking.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:04 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Having built one, and even though I have used gassers for many years, I never considered one for this size plane.

I still think the new Saito 125 is a much better choice. Cowled in engine, plenty of power, less weight.

I like to use weight I already need (battery, servos, fuel, gear support) and find ways to move this forward when I need to.

This plane is not that bad for a scale warbird though, and I did a lot of detailing. Retracts would need to be very stout for that engine as well. 1/2" srtuts and extra bracing.

Only my humble opinions. I have a Spit of the same size that I am building this winter, so I'm facing most of the same issues right now. Have fun.
The Hellcat has the firewall very close to the wing leading edge, not much nose moment, not much space to move things forward. On yours, what did you power it with? Did you need to add nose weight? What do think of the flying characteristics?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2007, 11:46 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this airplane, and I used a Magnum 120 for power. With everything as far fwd. as I could get it I still needed a Higley heavy spinner. 120 is adequate but not stunning power. But it was needed nose weight. A year ago I would have said stick with the glow but I'm starting to become a convert.... althought I don't know how much I like gas engines with fiberglass fuselages, given the vibration levels.
It's a great flying airplane, no real bad habbits. I don't use flaps and it slows down really nicely. Just get in there and really reinforce the gear mounting.

Andy
Old 02-14-2007, 12:54 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks for your comments. Do you have retracts on yours? I'm contemplating fixed gear to save weight and money, as I would like to use a 25cc gasser.