Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Obsession 3D In Flight Failure

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldberg Obsession 3D In Flight Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:19 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Obsession 3D In Flight Failure

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5020130/tm.htm Second flight, low rates, half throttle. Just folded!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56751.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	651912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78834.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	651913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd81069.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	651914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26147.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	651915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14002.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	651916  
Old 03-29-2007, 12:30 AM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Goldberg Obsession 3D In Flight Failure

Yikes and I was just thinking of putting a gasser in it. What engine were you running? Let us know what they say if you plan to pursue something.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:17 AM
fancman

I had an RCS 1.4 in it with a 17X8 prop. I was flying about half throttle and doing nothing that should have stressed the fuse to that point, a couple of loops, cuban eights and such. The plane came out to 12 lbs 5 oz with this engine and the first flight was great as far as I could tell. Never used high rates, no snaps, just getting used to the feel of the plane and trimming.

I wrote go Goldberg but I'll be surprised if I hear from them. I'm sure they will tell me that I must have not managed my power and caused flutter which caused the problem. We'll see. I had five other guys watching and none of them could believe the plane came apart like that with what I was doing.

ORIGINAL: rustypep

Yikes and I was just thinking of putting a gasser in it. What engine were you running? Let us know what they say if you plan to pursue something.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Macommy

If you used the supplied hinges are they all intact? They aren't sufficient for this plane in my experience.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:48 PM
fancman

I only use Radio South CA hinges in something like this. All hinges were intact. Fuse broke in half in front of horizontal stab.

ORIGINAL: Macommy

If you used the supplied hinges are they all intact? They aren't sufficient for this plane in my experience.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Macommy

I have this plane so I was hoping it was the hinges. Selah! I've done a good number of hard snap roles with no trouble. They are very hard. People comment on them. I hope there was a defect and it's not a design flaw. I'll keep an eye on mine in case it's a design flaw.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:29 PM
rustypep

Well 12 1/2 lbs with gas is exactly what I was hoping for and I agree with your comment in the other post that the difference in vibration between a Saito 180 or 220 can't be much different that your small gasser. I am curious since your fuse is opened up what type of construction and wood was used underneath the tail. Not enough or wrong glue? Poor wood selection? parts missing? grains going the wrong way? Any combination of these (or something else) along with a little flutter or cause flutter that could result in failure I guess but this is usually a stronger area. Unless it got damaged somewhere from production through distribution and to your door and it finally gave I have no idea unless there are faults in this production run or the design. I have to assume any real damage would be visible when you opened the box. My fuse only weighed 35.4 oz in the bag which was less than the 43 someone listed in the other forum so I guess this has my attention. How long ago did you buy it and from where? Thanks and let us know if Goldberg responds. They will probably say it wasn't designed for a gasser or something else like you mentioned or not respond at all. I was seriously looking at a Brillelli 36 for this one too []
Old 04-03-2007, 12:28 PM
fancman

Found out today that the Obsession has been discontinued by Goldberg. They are going to send me one of their other kits to replace it though.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:41 PM
rustypep

I noticed on their website the other day that it is in the current ARF and discountinued section. They also showed the Extra 330, 30% Ultimate, and Sukhoi ARF's in the discountinued section as well. Nice to see they honored their warranty. Hopefully, this one will be better built.

ORIGINAL: fancman

Found out today that the Obsession has been discontinued by Goldberg. They are going to send me one of their other kits to replace it though.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:39 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have one of these that I purchased new MAJOR damaged, and the glue is pretty sparce. As a person that used to build alot I am always shocked to see some of the arfs when they are bare bones. I think they do a good job trying to be strong and straight, but on occasion they don't quite get there....

Like I tell my friend when he is mad at an arf that needs somemore work or glue remeber the A in arf stands for ALMOST !!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 10:51 AM
fancman

Well I should have know!! Goldberg is not going to honor any kind of warranty for the loss of the Obsession. All they offer is a reduced price deal on another plane. I do have the option of sending in the failed plane for their analysis, with no guarentee that even then they would admit the plane was structurally unsound. Guess I just have to cut my losses and move on. For sure I won't be buying anything else from Carl Goldberg. Lesson learned!!![&o][&o][&o]
Old 04-09-2007, 10:52 AM
fancman

My mistake. After a couple week run around they are not going to honor any warranty.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:32 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

--------------

And I just bought one at their super cheap sale a while back. Oh well. No matter how old I get, I keep falling for this crap.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Macommy

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

--------------

And I just bought one at their super cheap sale a while back. Oh well. No matter how old I get, I keep falling for this crap.

Ed Cregger
Ed,
I have one and I believe it flies extremely well. Mine is under powered with a saito 1.50. I have done extremely aggressive snap roles and never had a problem. With that big tale you would think it would break but it hasn't on mine or anyone elses from what I read(except this one plane). There must have been something wrong with the one plane. It seems for bigger planes everyone wants a gas motor and I am in that group. The saito is too exspensive to run. This would be my guess as to why the plane was canceled. It simply hasn't sold. Too bad, it looks awesome and many at my field ask where it is when I don't have it.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 AM
aatiger
My Feedback: (26)

I just bought one as well month or so ago, like to know how many people have problems with this ARF?

Hi Fancman, sorry to hear the Obsession folded, all that work putting it together down the drain, let us know what Goldberg send you.

Hi Macommy, how long have you had the Obsession? What type of flying do you do? If you could share with us. I'm hoping what happened to Fancman
was isolated case.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Macommy

aatiger,
No one else has reported having this problem, at least not anywhere on RCU. I would be surprised if it happens to you. I really enjoy the way the plane flies. Mine is unique but light. It's also underpowered, but I like light floaty planes more than powerful planes. I fly other peoples 33 and 35%'s a fair amount and they fly good also. They have more power for sure, but I don't enjoy them more than my obsession. The big rudder on this plane with a powerful servo is a lot of fun to play with. The whole thing is different. I wish it was easier to power. That cowl is small and it is in that weight size range that's hard. Hope you enjoy it and report back here what you run on it and how you like it.