Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Peakmodel shipping rates??? >

Peakmodel shipping rates???

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Peakmodel shipping rates???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 06:37 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peakmodel shipping rates???

I was intrigued by the super low prices at peakmodel.com, that is until I used their shipping calculator. It's saying it will cost $98.00 to ship a World Models Superstunt 40!? I emailed them about this so we'll see what they say. I can't think this is right. The price for the SS40 on their site is a low $57.00, so I figured they'd have high shipping to balance it out, but not that high($155.00 total). I mean I can get a Superstunts 40 for $113.00 shipped from airborne-models.com. I thought ordering from peak was cutting out the middleman markup, but it sure doesn't seem to be. Anyone order from them?

Mike
Old 04-29-2007, 08:18 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Peakmodel shipping rates???

Mike I have ordered a extra 260 from them but they were offering free shipping on it. I can tell you that i rreceived it within five days from the time that I ordered it. One thing to keep in mind with the high shipping rate is the import fees and taxes they have to pay when shipping it in from out of the country.

Rick
Old 04-29-2007, 10:50 PM

Hi I,ve got a world models super sport /40 I think they would do better with a 60 motor especially into head wind anyway I,ve got to congrat Peak models eg super sport 60 thats the larger model were selling here for $360 this guys really pushing the prices down$135 and forcing others to compete good on him we can all do with that prior to him we were having to pay shipping costs into N.Z he,s cut that out for us Kiwi,s it makes crashing so much easier when you consider the exchange rates our dollar is 30% less than yours its a great buy for you in yank dollars our dollar only buys 70cents U.S
Old 04-29-2007, 11:18 PM

My understanding from reading the Peak Models website was that the Asian origin ARFs ship directly out of Asia and not NZ. If thats the case, as an example last year I purchased an electric Long-EZ...the little one that double boxed was probably about 8 lbs. or so.....it was shipped from the Chinese factory by Mr. Chen himself as per the packing list, had all kinds of Chinese "graffiti" on the box and made it's way to Mississippi via San Francisco in about 3 days. And the cost was about $22 ordered through Hobby-estore.com. Hope that helps.

Also, not saying that the Peak Models situation could be similar, but you can pretty much purchase the same ARF kit from either Raidentech or NitroPlanes. They're both in the same city in Southern CA, the difference I typically have seen is that on the front end the NitroPlanes may be a few dollars less expensive than the same thing from Raidentech. However, it's my experience that the Raidentech ARF will be a few dollars more expensive on the front end by the time you add the shipping to arrive at the final cost, Raidentech is usually the better buy. I suppose you can hide a "discount" just about anywhere.....
Old 04-30-2007, 01:06 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are on the opposite side of the world, so I expect shipping to be high. However, I do not buy unless the net cost, including shipping, is less expensive than what I can buy elsewhere.

One exception might be if they have something that I can find nowhere else and I absolutely must have it. This is a very rare occurence.

I did buy a few engines from them (Sanye - marked ASP) that were cheaper than the Magnum equivalent by a fair margin, even when factoring in shipping. Of course, I am left warranty-less, for all practical purposes.

When I bought my ASP 1.80 four-stroke, I saved over $75 when compared to the equivalent Sanye engine sold in the US, the Magnum 1.80 four-stroke. I have noticed that the prices have risen to the point at Peakmodel that there is much less of a savings than when I bought. I now buy Magnums with their warranty for just a few dollars more.

I expect that at some point, that the manufacturers will go direct, as Enya Metal Products in Japan has done.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-30-2007, 05:07 AM
My Feedback: (9)

I realize that they are in China but I was put off that I can get the same ARF from a California importer for much less. If that's the case then I'll just order it from them.
Mike
Old 04-30-2007, 08:38 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Could be that in the States it is cheaper to buy from Airborne or nitro planes or raidentech but in canada i would pay the same shipping cost for a plane from airborne that i would from peakmodel and the plane cost is sig. cheaper from peak. For you guys with so many diff. distributers in the US competing for the same dollar they don't try to hose you on the shipping as much.

Flyboy76

just my 2c