Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

cox ultimate biplane first flight

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

cox ultimate biplane first flight

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:43 PM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default cox ultimate biplane first flight

This plane flew very very welllll. I took the engine out of my p-51 pts and I put in all standard servos. It ask for mini's in the wings but I did not fell like buying any. I was able to get three good flight out of it. WIth the setup I had it all balanced out on the cg (just a little noise heavy, no added weights). I am going to put the engine back in the my mustang and then buy a evolution .46 or I might even get the .50 os, I am leaning more towards the evolution. I give this plane a 4.5 out of 5 only because, cox did not have anything to hold the battery and the gas tank in so I had to mock up something. Get them while you can caust they are on sale right now for $119.00. I do not know if this is cheap but I could afford it and I went for it.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:32 PM
rowdog_14

Default RE: cox ultimate biplane first flight

The landing gear on the biplane is a little soft, I tried landing it in the grass and it really did not like that. So if you are going to get this plane, it flys better to me off of asphalt. It flys good with the pts 46 evo but I do not like running full throttle all the time so I am going to get the regular .46 which has a little bit more power and weighs about 2 ozs lighter which should put me right on the money with the cg. When I take it to the field nobody can beleive that it is a cox model.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:51 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full throttle?

Which prop did you use?

An 11x6 on the PTS engine should yank this plane around with good authority.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:19 AM
rowdog_14

yes I am running the 11*6 MAS, I do not have to go full throttle all the time but you can just cruise around at half like I want to. The 11*6 pulls the pts mustang around like it is not even there.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:19 PM
oojamison
My Feedback: (1)

I just got my cox ultimate in the mail yesterday. thanks for the tip for $119. I looks great. let you know the first flight. Hope it goes as planed.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:43 AM
JohnnyV44

I just picked one up....sorta slightly wrecked. Only one flight on it. broke the motor mounts off and crunched the cowl. Pulled the Screws out of the main brace for the upper wing. I E-mailed Cox and they sent me a new cowl and wheel pants no charge!..... the old guy that had the plane says he can't find the manual for it. Could someone please tell me where you measure the CG at? I've got a .50 Saito I was thinking of putting on it. You think that'll be enough motor?

Thanks in Advance.
JohnnyV

P.S. I have to agree that the landing gear is extremely weak on it. I guess that is probably what saved this plane tho from total destruction. Straightened it completely out....
Old 07-27-2007, 05:43 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone weighed their's yet?

It would be interesting to see what one weighs.

Any pictures?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:26 AM
opjose

Also is all of the fuselage sheeted or does it use covered formers & stringers only in the tail.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Soko42vv
My Feedback: (2)

2 1/4" behind lower wing leading edge. No more than 2 3/4".
Old 09-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Magical_Merlin

Where did you guys purchase the Cox 40 at for $119? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:07 AM
pkevinb

I got mine here - http://www.coxmodels.com/

And shipping is only $7.99!

I am waiting for the UPS right now.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:15 AM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

I got mine straight from Cox for the advertised price of $119. Good quality, (except for the soft main gear), and it went together fast. My problem is that I put in a Norvel .40 AX and I can't get the damn thing to tune. I can only get 11,000 RPM max out of it, (it's rated for 16,000), and can't get a reliable idle. I'm hoping that it needs some more breaking in, but I'm leaning towards pulling a OS .40 SF two-stroke out of another plane and putting it in the Ultimate. The only thing with doing that is the cowl. It's already cut out for the Norvel, and probably wouldn't line up with the OS. I contacted Cox about a replacement cowl, so I'll wait and see if it's available, since I don't see any parts support on their website, (except for the lower wing, which is out of stock). You guys seem pretty pleased with how it performs, and I can't wait to get mine up in the air. Here are some pics. Note that the Evolution 3-blade prop was just for the picture. It made the plane too nose heavy, and I'm using a two blade for flight. My all up weight is 5 pounds exactly, which is why I bought the Norvel. It is a really light engine, but of no use to me if it won't run reliably.

Jesse

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36565.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	782107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27441.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	782108  
Old 10-14-2007, 07:01 PM
hubbajer
My Feedback: (7)

I have now had three great flights on mine. I'm running a Saito 82 . Weighs 5.5 pounds. Balanced perfectly with battery a little toward rear. Flying off a paved runway but taxies good in grass even though wheels are small. Gear is soft and would not like hard landings. Luckily I had a streak of good luck and landed easily. Nice little plane I would not hesitate to recommend it. Good price.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:27 PM
max26

I will be geting my ultimate this wednesday and from all I have read cant wait to get it. And also glade I orderd it when I did becouse I went to the cox web sit were I got it and it isnt listed anymore[X(] think I got the last one ? I plane on useing a OS .46ax.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:04 AM
whstlngdeath

Hey max26,
Welcome to RCU. You may have gotten the last one from Cox. Quicktech hobbies still has them on their website at the same $119. I got my Norvel troubles fixed, and now I need a good day, (weather), to try a maiden flight. It's been either very windy, rainy or both around here. Twice I've been out to the flying field only to be grounded by high winds. I've been running-in the engine and tuning it up. Can now get 12,200 rpm with a 10x6 and 10% nitro. The low end is still kinda high, at 4200 idle, but it keeps getting better with every tank I run. Hope to get it up in the air this coming week.

Jesse
Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 PM
max26

Thanks for the welcome whistlngdeath,
Quicktech hobbies I will check it out thanks.

Yea I can't wait to get back out to the flying field next Sunday myself.

It's been windy here as well, but we could still fly a little.

Had a lot of planes go in yesterday... some where complete losses[X(] the coolest one was a midair.

I was wondering what would be the better muffler, the bisson pitts, or the slimline pitts, on a OS 46 AX ?

I mean which would actually make it perform better, and give the best back pressure?

Vern
Old 10-22-2007, 09:37 PM
whstlngdeath

For looks alone, I like the Slimline Pitts muffler. I think the Bisson would be quieter, with the larger size cannister. I'd go with the one that fits best under the cowl.

Jesse
Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 PM
PMAXX

I used a slimline pitts on a 55AX and had to split the bottom of the cowl to get it on. With the stock muffler you dont have to split the cowl but you will see a lot of the muffler. Other than that the plane is tons of fun and actually lands pretty slow (for a abiplane that is). Enjoy and good luck. Engine runs like a champ with the slimline by the way.

Name:	Sp45231.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	789241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89221.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	789242  
Old 10-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Magical_Merlin

That sure is a good looking plane. Can you tell me if it is black and white and green. Or is it a dark blue? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:27 PM
PMAXX

Black, white and green with gold pinstripes.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:27 PM
max26

Hi pmaxx plane looks good there, mine will be here tomorrow, muffler won't be here till saturday.. I hope..
I went with the bisson pitts, Tower didn't have a slimlin, but I figure it will work just fine. I like a quite pipe most times anyway. And I really didn't care for the looks of the stock muffler on this plane anyway. If I get the stuff this week, I will be making my maiden flight this Sunday if all goes well. Wish me luck. It is raining cats and dogs here right now.

Vern
Old 10-25-2007, 05:09 PM
PMAXX

Lots of rain here too. Good lock with your maiden and let us know how she goes.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:25 AM
whstlngdeath

FINALLY!!
Got the maiden flight done. The winds calmed down and I got the engine tuned reliably enough to go up. It's a great little airplane. It goes where you point it, and the takeoffs are easy. I worried about the flimsy main gear, but I was able to land it lightly, and no problems. Very fun plane. I'll have to check the wing incidence again, because it flew as though it had a bit of positive in the top wing. The CG is right on, but it wanted to climb like a monkey. All in all, very controllable and easy to fly. I tried some spins and hammerhead turns, but way up high as I still don't trust the engine, and it performed well. I'm going to experiment with different glow plugs and fuels to see what this Russian engine likes. You guys let me know how you like yours.

Jesse
Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 AM
RaceCraftRC

Just got my bipe fineshed last night i still have to cut the fusalge ( i am still a noob and wanted to be shure to get some help at the feild its to nice to ruin) did a test taxi in my yard it is powered buy a 51 super tiger swinging a 11-4 apc seeens to have tons of power will know for shure in about 6 hours

Name:	Rp44331.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	792033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55197.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	792034  
Old 10-29-2007, 07:16 AM
RaceCraftRC

WOW very happpy with this thing mine is a little fast but wow tons of power great flyer i was worried that its small size would turn it into a handfull to controll but it goes were you point it and keeps tracking Great plane i hope everyone else is getting the same results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.