Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Sundowner

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Sundowner

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Boo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 Sundowner

Hi,

Has anyone fitted a pipe tunnel to the Sundowner F1 ? I'm thinking of buying one as a first gasser and using either a ZDZ 40-RE FAI or else an MVVS (Evolution) 45 MG. Either of these should weigh about the same as the evolution 35 or even a bit less.

Pix would be nice if anyone has done this, or else pix of the inside of the fuse to show whether or not it's possible.

Thanks,

Boo
Old 01-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Boo2

Hi,

I seem to have confused myself about converting prop rpm / pitch into plane speed in mph. Am I right in saying the prop pitch speed im mph is rpm * pitch * 60 / (12 * 3 * 1760) ?

My reason for asking is people are talking about speeds of 135 mph when the figures don't add up. Eg :

10,000 rpm * 12" pitch * 60 / (12 * 3 * 1760) = 113 mph.

Assuming 10k is the very highest the Evo35 will run and 12" is the pitch often quoted for the prop tne this is a lot less than the speeds I've seen quoted and there should really be a further fact or .8 applied for prop slip reducing the figure further to 90 mph.

Am I doing something wroing here or what ?

Thanks,

Boo
Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 AM
PJ_TankPilot

ORIGINAL: Boo2
Speeds posted are often optimistic.

‘Measured’ (radar gun or stopwatch) speeds are often downhill or with a tail wind.

The only way I know of to measure air speed accurately is with an onboard device.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:43 AM
Boo2

ORIGINAL: PJ_TankPilot

Speeds posted are often optimistic.
So I'm right in thinking that the ZDZ turning a 20x12 prop at 6900 rpm will have a pitch speed of just under 80 mph ? And to get a pitch speed of 130 at 7500 rpm requires an 18" pitch prop ? If so then can anyone tell me what diameter prop I will need for the ZDZ to turn at 7500 rpm given 18" of pitch, and where I can get one ? Or is 130 mph just not reasonable with this combo ?

Thanks,

Boo
Old 01-30-2008, 08:35 AM
PJ_TankPilot

I wish it was that simple but there are too many variables.

RPM in the air will be different than RPM on the ground.

The pitch of props varies from center to tip. The effective pitch may be different than that specified by the manufacturer.

The effective pitch will vary depending on speed and RPM.

There are cases where you can increase the pitch AND RPM and decrease speed.

However, you should get within 20% using your calculation.

Plus or minus 20% is huge so my advice is try different props and try to measure speed.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:02 AM
mfuess

Hi,

Has anyone fitted a pipe tunnel to the Sundowner F1 ? I'm thinking of buying one as a first gasser and using either a ZDZ 40-RE FAI or else an MVVS (Evolution) 45 MG. Either of these should weigh about the same as the evolution 35 or even a bit less.

Pix would be nice if anyone has done this, or else pix of the inside of the fuse to show whether or not it's possible.

Thanks,

Boo
An Evolution 45 would be a good choice. It's light weight and surprizingly powerful. You can install a Tuned Pipe if you like. I have a BME 50 in my Sundowner and its on a Tuned Pipe. My Sundowner flies like a dream! The ONLY reason I didn't go with the Evo 45 is, the stand-off distance required for the 45. I didn't feel like cutting the stand-off box on the Sundowner to make the 45 fit properly. My BME powered Sundowner can maintain 137 MPH laps, and high-bank turn up to 152.7 Miles Per Hour. I use a Flight Data Recorder...

If you do happen to go with the (MVVS/Evo) 45 you'll like it, except for the Ignition Module. It takes a minimum of 6.4 volts to operate.

As you can see, my BME 50 fits without firewall mods. It just needed beefing up.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Boo2

ORIGINAL: mfuess
An Evolution 45 would be a good choice. It's light weight and surprizingly powerful. You can install a Tuned Pipe if you like. I have a BME 50 in my Sundowner and its on a Tuned Pipe. My Sundowner flies like a dream! The ONLY reason I didn't go with the Evo 45 is, the stand-off distance required for the 45. I didn't feel like cutting the stand-off box on the Sundowner to make the 45 fit properly.
Hi mfuess, thanks for the reply. From what you are saying, I think you mean the the Evo / MVVS 45 is quite long from front to back and needs short standoff mounts and a hole in the box to accomodate the carb ? I can do that easily enough, but I don't really want to get into any tricky mods of the front of the plane.

As you know, the Evo and ZDF are both rear exhaust. I intend to mount the engine inverted, can you tell me whether it is viable to fit a cannister or else a pipe tunnel into the Sundowner fuselage without too much trouble ? I will need a custom swan-neck header but think I can find one.

My BME powered Sundowner can maintain 137 MPH laps, and high-bank turn up to 152.7 Miles Per Hour. I use a Flight Data Recorder...
Sounds like the business, what rpm do you get with the BME and what prop are you using ? I have a hiking gps I could use tp measure the speed - this'll be the first plane I own that could easily stand the weight.

If you do happen to go with the (MVVS/Evo) 45 you'll like it, except for the Ignition Module. It takes a minimum of 6.4 volts to operate.
Well in that case I think I will use a 2-cell lipo.

Thanks again,

--
Boo
Old 02-06-2008, 12:34 AM
kochj

That plane with those mid sized gassers looks like lota fun!....

BOO2,
A ZDZ 40F3A, actually weights the same as the EVO 26gt.....

How has the plane held up to the larger engines?
How many flights on the 40cc+ engines?

Anyone thought about placing a SAito 36G Gas engine in this one?

I love to race planes. Perhaps someone should put together a event that has sundowners w/ a run what you brung class?
Is the worry that planes will be crashing all over the place, due to overpowered aircrafts?

How about the unlimited class? those airframes have been overpowered, with NO guarantee that they are SAFE to fly!////

I don't see any reason why a open class for Sundowners, wouldn't be a great way to include more planes in Pylon racing....

Old 02-06-2008, 01:24 AM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kochj I agree completely. I have just finished installing my DA-50 on my Downer and she looks like shes gonna honk! Put some Carbon Fiber landing gear from GraphTech on her and that gives me 2 more inches of clearance which should be plenty for that 20 X12 or 20 X 14 prop!

I am sorry I have spaced on the photos everyone, but probably this weekend or next at the latest I will post some. Unlimited Sundowner class...drool....what a great idea!
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 AM
CRG
My Feedback: (3)

The Saito gasoline four stroke engine might be nice in the Sundowner, certainly economical. Might take a little work to balance it.

In my opinion you are WAY off the mark with your comment about the Unlimited airframes. They are built with race speeds and loads in mind, which are well over 200mph and 20 plus G's. They are required to be inspected prior to being permitted to race, and get inspected at each race event. There are requirements for batteries, servos, control linkages, maximum engine weight and more. Not even close to just jamming more motor into an ARF. Typical Unlimiteds these days are using motors of between 150 and 290cc, the faster airplanes are around 240mph in the straights.

Craig.

ORIGINAL: kochj

That plane with those mid sized gassers looks like lota fun!....

BOO2,
A ZDZ 40F3A, actually weights the same as the EVO 26gt.....

How has the plane held up to the larger engines?
How many flights on the 40cc+ engines?

Anyone thought about placing a SAito 36G Gas engine in this one?

I love to race planes. Perhaps someone should put together a event that has sundowners w/ a run what you brung class?
Is the worry that planes will be crashing all over the place, due to overpowered aircrafts?

How about the unlimited class? those airframes have been overpowered, with NO guarantee that they are SAFE to fly!////

I don't see any reason why a open class for Sundowners, wouldn't be a great way to include more planes in Pylon racing....

Old 02-06-2008, 11:11 AM
kochj

CRG,

I undestand that they are inspected for those things that you have mentioned!

But, NO one takes them aside and says "Where are your build photos?"
"I want to see the Intirnals of the that wing and how you used the material"
" I also want to see the CAD drawings and the Load Barrings that a engineer had figured"

My point of my previous commnet was not to Digrade those that have taken time to build a plane for all
out speed and high g's, but to place the engines choice
in the hands of the owners and have it be there responsibility to reinforce what
needs to be to make it safe to fly with the engine of choice!

Perhaps limit the engine to a max 50cc's?

I am sure that there are a few good builders, that can suggest a few mods to make the plane wistand huge G' forces.
Perhaps this plane can already take a 50cc gas engine WOT and then bank hard with no wing
mods other than harwere upgrades and hing sealing? OR it may disinigrate! I do not know.....

This is all irrelivent though, as I am not some AMA official and do not have any kind ot legitimacy of these coments........

I would however, like to put the fun back into the sport of pylon racing..... But not on the expence of Safety....

bY THE WAY,
The BME 50cc with the tuned pipe looks fantastic!!!!

I would think that at least the Sundowner class sould allow the use of a Tuned pipe!!
It would make it that more interesting!

Justin
Justin
Old 02-06-2008, 06:53 PM
CRG

Justin,

The owner/pilot is required to be able to answer questions about how the aircraft is built, and that it uses appropriate materials and techniques. These are not just some thrown together models with ever larger motors put in them. On most of the models the internal structure is visible, and it is checked with the wing off during every pre-race inspection. If an inspector needs to see more they will ask the owner to remove panels as necessary. Models are inspected again if any damage is sustained. Wings have appropriately sized spars and shear webs, skins are laid on a bias for torsional strength etc. Wings have been static loaded to check integrity. The engine choice is in the hands of the owners up to a limit- max. weight for Unlimited, capacity limit for the other classes. Safety is NOT compromised for the sake of all out speed.

The USRA has some desire to maintain the scale portion of racing. The full size Sundowner did not have a two foot diameter pipe down the fuselage.... Pipes are permitted in Unlimited but they have to be internal. Any other organization or club that wants to run Sundowner races can obviously do as they choose.

Craig.

ORIGINAL: kochj

CRG,

I undestand that they are inspected for those things that you have mentioned!

But, NO one takes them aside and says "Where are your build photos?"
"I want to see the Intirnals of the that wing and how you used the material"
" I also want to see the CAD drawings and the Load Barrings that a engineer had figured"

My point of my previous commnet was not to Digrade those that have taken time to build a plane for all
out speed and high g's, but to place the engines choice
in the hands of the owners and have it be there responsibility to reinforce what
needs to be to make it safe to fly with the engine of choice!

Perhaps limit the engine to a max 50cc's?

I am sure that there are a few good builders, that can suggest a few mods to make the plane wistand huge G' forces.
Perhaps this plane can already take a 50cc gas engine WOT and then bank hard with no wing
mods other than harwere upgrades and hing sealing? OR it may disinigrate! I do not know.....

This is all irrelivent though, as I am not some AMA official and do not have any kind ot legitimacy of these coments........

I would however, like to put the fun back into the sport of pylon racing..... But not on the expence of Safety....

bY THE WAY,
The BME 50cc with the tuned pipe looks fantastic!!!!

I would think that at least the Sundowner class sould allow the use of a Tuned pipe!!
It would make it that more interesting!

Justin
Justin
Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 PM
CRG

For reference: A broken in EVO 35 will swing an APC 16x14 quite happily and straight line speeds are around 112mph.

Hi,

I seem to have confused myself about converting prop rpm / pitch into plane speed in mph. Am I right in saying the prop pitch speed im mph is rpm * pitch * 60 / (12 * 3 * 1760) ?

My reason for asking is people are talking about speeds of 135 mph when the figures don't add up. Eg :

10,000 rpm * 12" pitch * 60 / (12 * 3 * 1760) = 113 mph.

Assuming 10k is the very highest the Evo35 will run and 12" is the pitch often quoted for the prop tne this is a lot less than the speeds I've seen quoted and there should really be a further fact or .8 applied for prop slip reducing the figure further to 90 mph.

Thanks,

Boo
Old 02-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Boo2

ORIGINAL: CRG
For reference: A broken in EVO 35 will swing an APC 16x14 quite happily and straight line speeds are around 112mph.
Thanks for your reply but please can you help me with the calculations here ? I get :

pitch speed = rpm * pitch (inches) * 60 / (12 * 3 * 1760)

Assuming the rpm is 7500 this gives :

pitch speed = 7500 * 14 * 60 / (12 * 3 * 1760) = 99 mph ?

Assuming airspeed of 85% of pitch speed gives a prop real pitch required of 18.5 inches required for 112 mph at 7500 rpm, or alternatively an rpm of 9940 at a real pitch of 14 inches.

Are props nominal pitches really so far out as that, or alternatively, do people really run 35cc gassers at 9900 rpm ?

Thanks again,

Boo
Old 02-07-2008, 09:45 AM
kaastrup

Engines are turning more RPM in the air than on the ground - 7500 rpm on the ground could easily be 9000 rpm or more in a slight dive...
Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 AM
kochj

I believe the quick est formula is....
pitch X RPM Divided by 1000= MPH..... Not considering drag.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:56 PM
CRG

Guys and gals,

The 2008 USRA Sundowner rules will be posted on the website (www.usrainfo.org) this evening. We've tried to tailor this to the bulk of Sundowner owners, if you have a Sundowner we'd love for you to come and get a taste of the racing experience. Some setups will be faster than others, but the goal is to just get involved. If you want to work on your setup, or move to another class that's up to you. Formula 1 GT is the logical next step, models are bigger and faster, and don't require a huge jump in skill level to fly.

This years races:
Rantoul, IL in June.
Astabula, OH in August.
A west coast venue TBD in October.

Craig.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:09 AM
kochj

NIce.....
Those 2-places are fairly close for me!!

I may give the GT1 class a try!!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:19 PM
kochj

Hey CRG,
I just read over the new 2008 Sundowner bi-laws.....

Looks like you can use ANY GLOW OR GAS engine, 2-4 stroke UP to a MAX 35CC!!

I like that part............
Also, electrics are in same class?
But airplane must weight no less than 11lbs...
What did the weight of the last years Sundowners weigh in at with the evo 35gt? I heard 13.5lbs?
I am not sure why people can't convert the evo back to a glow runner instead of gas!

Also, will the moki 2.10 smoke the class, or with the prop limit of 17X12 make them the same speed?
Too bad it was not up to 36cc, that way, it could include the saito 220 4-stroke......
What about the YS 170-DZ engine? You would think this would be a real performer?

Justin
Old 02-23-2008, 12:38 AM
kochj

The new rules killed the class!.....
You can not compare apples to Oranges!
4-stroke compared to 2-stroke?
Nitro-to gas?

This is why Motorcross allows 450cc sized 4-strokes in the 250cc 2-stroke class!
And 250cc4-strokes in the 125class (now called the Lites) They make LESS power!
What else is there?
Why wouldn't they make the 4-stroke to include the saito 220 nitro? only 1cc more!
Perhaps this is due to the engine specs being Too much?

I just do not see where the equality comes into play?

you can not compare the other engines and keep the same cc size max!!!!!!!

If the Sundowner is handling a 50cc gas w/full length header and tuned pipe, whynot let a 40cc gas in?
a moki 2.10 is more in the class of a 40cc gas engine than the 35gt!

Why not allow tuned pipes? or the light weight 40cc?
The weight alone, that the 35gt puts on the airframe stresses it more than the extra speed would from the 40cc.....
It would weigh the same as a 26gt but increase the speed 8-10mph?
GUys have comented on the other forums that the SUndowners take a LOOONG time to get around the course! (so do the At-texans)
If you want to get a little more speed, allow more room in the engine dept......

How nice would it be to have a Sundowner w/a 40cc gas engine and tuned pipe (or just muffler) and have it weight the same as the 26cc gas setup?????

What a fun plane,,,,

thats it.....
All done...

Justin

Justin

Old 02-23-2008, 10:30 PM
noblertony
My Feedback: (14)

I am completing p51 with the evolution 26gt, have you had good experience with this engine in the plane, enough power?
Also, how did you setup the linkage for the choke, I have having some trouble to how to do this?
Thanks Tony Christopher
Old 02-25-2008, 10:16 PM
kochj

The YS 170 puts out as much actually more than the saito 2.20.....
That would be the hot ticket for the sundowner class....
At the tune of over 700$ for th engine!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Efishensea
My Feedback: (15)

The Da-50 is the Better Choice! Put a Da-50 in anything between 13 & 17lbs! Dont be scared of a little extra power. Throttle Management!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:49 AM
kid chuckles

Has anyone had the adapter needed for the Saito 180 break on them . I did and it cost me big time. Plane makes a heck of a noise when it hits a pole even under dead stick conditions. If anyone has had this problem please reply. Only foruth flight on this plane. I have had it for months but just gettiing comfident enough to fly it. New Fuse and a muffler I could not find and be ready to go again. Mine clocked on radar at 88mph out of a dive and then into a straight line. Once got 93 but the 88 is more what it runs. Thanks in advance any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:03 PM
firestone1121

Just maidened mine yesterday. WOW she is a handful- no joking on running the entire length of runway. This plane has a HORRIBLE tendency to nose over on grass fields during taxiing, i have not been able to taxi back to the flight line on grass yet without a prop strike even with full up elevator. Im used to flying aerobats and wasnt too comfortable just yet on the low rates, just not responsive enuff for me and trust me i am not snapping this bird at ALL at high speeds- i flew 8 tanks between yesterday and today on the factory spec. high rates. it can be real easy to lose this airplane if you do not have quick hand-eye coordination. I have 30% expo dialed in, i may make it 15%, as i like quicker reaction from the plane with less stick movement. She does look beautiful on full bank turns tho, when banking with the underside of the wings towards you, you could never tell the difference between real or model- theres a hint of P-51 on the underbelly if you ask me. All around awesome plane for experienced pilots. beginners- no offense but this is not the plane for you- get some experience, save yourself the expense there is absolutely no need to be impatient on this bird. When flown like a racer, she rewards you with awesome looks and lightning fast speeds but will bite the hand that feeds it if it is not flown properly. Thats my opinion at least- but ive been wrong before lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.