Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

*New H9 Frenzy-100 ARF*

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

*New H9 Frenzy-100 ARF*

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:38 PM
rgoldy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *New H9 Frenzy-100 ARF*

Lets try this again. Will let you know how it flies tomorrow.

http://image2-6.rcuniverse.com/e1/ga.../lg-113563.jpg
http://image2-6.rcuniverse.com/e1/ga.../lg-113563.jpg
Old 09-29-2007, 06:47 PM
rgoldy

Well the link works. How do I get it just to pop up the pic?
Old 09-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rgoldy,

When you click on "Post Reply" look at the bottom next to File and it says "Click here to upload images and files!". Once you click on that you can pick your images from you local hard drive to upload.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:26 PM
rgoldy

I've been using the fast reply-let me try this:

That was fun!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81215.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	772812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67352.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	772813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73200.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	772814  
Old 09-29-2007, 08:34 PM
rc-plane

anybody flown this plane yet
Old 09-30-2007, 06:01 PM
SAPropbuster
My Feedback: (5)

I just WON one of these at the Seventh Annual J.H.Rice Memorial Fly-in held in Kingsbury, TX!
The only engine I have in the required size is a YS 120.... Will give that a go.

Bob
Old 09-30-2007, 06:15 PM
rgoldy

Well, it is still together. I have about 1# of weight in the tail and thought that balancing at 5" from the leading edge, that would be close enuf. Wow-what a handful. It will probably need about another 1/2# back there to make it right. I have respect for you folks that balanced it at 4" and still were able to fly it. One now has to ask, with a 1-1/2# in the tail, is it worth it? Then there was this visitor down at the field today with what he called a lectric plane. Sure was quite and sure climbed real fast. He says you can put one of them lectric "motors" he called them in this plane and it would fly real good. The voices in my head are back...
I wish I could tell you how it flew-best I can say is it is still in one piece.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Hi All,

Well… I got it together. All I have left is to make up a muffler, and trim the cowl. But I will say this… I think the little 19.8cc I picked is perfect for it. Right now, with the battery on the CG, it balances at 4 ½ inches back. So, I could easily move the battery back a few inches to get that 5 1/5 to 6 inch balance point. And then I’ll move the fuel tank on the CG. And since it looks like I’m not going to need any led to make it balance… I decide to weigh it.

The model without fuel weighs 7lb 4.5oz. The parts I have off of it (cowl, muffler, refuel valve, ect) weigh right around 10oz. So that will bring my flying weight to just about 8.5lbs with fuel. I would think that the gas engine can make at least that much thrust. I would be happy with 1:1 power.

If the weather stays nice… I’ll fly it next Sunday.

rgoldy… That sucks about the extra led. If I were you, I would cut about 2 inches off of the front of the model, and take the led off. I built a CG Wild Stick 120 with a 25cc gasser, and I took off 4 inches from the front of it. But I’m sure your Frenzy would fly allot better with a pound less weight. And your G23 isn’t a light motor to start with. Have you checked the flying weight of the model?

Old 10-01-2007, 07:31 AM
rgoldy

The weight, before round two of adding weight, is 9-1/2# dry. I am very interested in how much it will take to balance your setup. Reason being is the G23 is not any heavier than the engine you are describing and I think you are going to find that it is going to take a lot more than just shifting batteries. 6" back from the L/E plus another 4" to the firewall, plus a couple more to the "center" of the engine makes for a real long weight torque arm up front and I think you will find you will need more weight back than it sounds.
I'm not ready to sign up for lopping a couple inches off the nose yet. If it comes to that, I'll just keep it and use it as maybe an electric. The engine will certainly be able to pull around the weight and the wing loading should still be OK, I am just worried about snapping off the tail.
Please keep me/us informed.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:00 PM
rgoldy

Flight day #2 went a little better. Only took another 4 oz of weight in the tail to balance it. The thing that really help was dialing in a whole bunch of expo-80% in the elev and 60% in the ailerons. At that point it is flyable and maybe with time will bump those figures down. Was surprised that the G23 would not pull it straight up and knife edges are not the best.
Another thing that you REALLY want to do is trade in the wheel pants for more triangle and epoxy in the landing gear area-it is really whimpy (thats what I am off to do tonite). Don't want to say much more until I get some more time on it.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Dr Honda

rgoldy… Thanks for the tip in the landing gear pad. I will beef it up before my first flight. But as far as the wheel pants go… I probably won’t use them because the field I fly from is grass, and I’ll probably put taller tires on it.

I too am surprised that the G23 wouldn’t pull it vertical. The knife edge doesn’t surprise me, since you are pushing 10#. But a G23 should produce more than 10# of thrust. What prop are you using? Perhaps you need a larger diameter, with less pitch. Also, APC’s are know to produce more static thrust (for good vertical) BUT… they are EXTREEMLY heavy. On my Wild Stick, I measured almost 500rpm, and 1.5# more thrust with an APC 18x6 wide, over my 18x6-10 Zinger. But… the APC weighed 160g, where the Zinger weighed 60g. I couldn’t afford to add 100g to the nose. (that model has the same prob your frenzy has, 12oz led in the tail) Just some random thoughts.

Anyway… Last night, I had a chance to work on mine a little. I got a 6oz fuel tank mounted, (got to love gas) and I ran my throttle cable. I also, made up my muffler, got it mounted and test ran the converted motor. After the tuning… I shut it off for a few minutes. But when I came back, that little engine fired up on the first flip!! Right now, it’s spinning a TF 15x8 power point at a little over 7000rpm. I’m going to pick up a 15x6 to fly it on. And, it should rev closer to 7600rpm. (not bad for a $10 ebay motor) So, the last thing to do before the first flight is to mount the battery as far back as I can, and check the weight. I should be able to do that on Friday night. So, watch for my update then to find out what really happens with the balance.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:04 AM
rgoldy

I am running a 16-10 Hawk prop and when I had this in a Giant Big Stik, it "flew" it, but it is what it is and 14# was just too much-thats why I thought that it would have no issues with this. We'll keep at it. You will also find (to no surprise) that this plane is really a floater. Hence my landing gear issue-12.5 min into a 12 min tank of gas and then you get to find out how well you new plane dead sticks. Pretty good until that little extra breeze and a little heavy on the thumb and you find yourself 2' off the ground at zero speed-not a good combination. I like to think of it as finding weaknesses that would have shown up later anyway.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:08 PM
modtek

ORIGINAL: rgoldy

I am running a 16-10 Hawk prop and when I had this in a Giant Big Stik, it "flew" it, but it is what it is and 14# was just too much-thats why I thought that it would have no issues with this. We'll keep at it. You will also find (to no surprise) that this plane is really a floater. Hence my landing gear issue-12.5 min into a 12 min tank of gas and then you get to find out how well you new plane dead sticks. Pretty good until that little extra breeze and a little heavy on the thumb and you find yourself 2' off the ground at zero speed-not a good combination. I like to think of it as finding weaknesses that would have shown up later anyway.
Just curious as to how this plane actually flies, by the sounds of the comments im reading here i get the feeling that its a piece of crap..[&o]

So anyone who has flown this plane give us an honest opinion of it
Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Dr Honda

Welcome Modtec,

There are only a few flight reports, and most of them are mixed. (not good, but horrible either) One of the reasons for this is, the original CG was set to 4 inches. The CG is suppose to be at 6 inches. The proper CG will make all the difference in the world. Also... people were adding allot of led in the nose to make them balance. So, the added weight wasn't helping either. This was with the original type of motors. (saito 125, OS 90/108) I’m using a gas engine, so I may have to add weight to the tail.

I will post up a flight report on mine Sunday night.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:00 PM
grandad1
My Feedback: (22)

Dr Honda i am putting one together now and i am at the (CG ) setting now,You said the CG is supose too be at 6 in instead of 4 in how do you know this? Is the book wroung?I have A Saito 125 in mine with JR 125 m g servos in the tail and on the wings.I can take them out of the tail and make it A little lighter if I need too.Please let me know about the CG if you can help thanks Grandad1.

Joe
Old 10-05-2007, 11:47 PM
sevans16

There is a annual update on there website. I have seen a link to it on RCU I think in this thread. Yes the orig manual is wrong.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:46 AM
carlross

This is the link for the CG that horizonhobby sent out

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...Correction.pdf
Old 10-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Dr Honda

Carlross thanks for reposting that for grandad1.

I didn't get a chance to finish mine last night. (family obligations) But I'm going to do it today, and fly it tomorrow. Watch for my updates.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Bratpak

Is this plane set up for single or dual elevator servos ?
I see on the Hanger 9 website that it requires 6 servos for the glow model which leads me to believe it is a dual servo elevator.

Mark
Old 10-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Dr Honda

it needs 2 servos for the elevator. And they call for big servos. (72in/oz) But the surface isn’t that big. You should be able to get away with a set of standard servos.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:50 AM
grandad1

Thanks guys I have my CG at 5 5/8 now with the bat right behind the fuel tank.Like I said inj the last post I have A Saito 125 and all JR 125 mg Servos in it and this is where it balance.I use 3 pices of lead in the right side of the wing too balance it Lad.I think this may be A little nose heavy but that is better then tail heave i think.If the weather is where we can go too the field tomorrow i will maden it then.It is trying too rain here in Southern Oklahoma now and if it rains too much we can't get too or field.I will post the maden when I get it done and Thanks for the update guys Grandad1.

Joe
Old 10-06-2007, 05:31 PM
HoverLoW

It seems to be a good mach for my O.S. 120 AX.

What you think, guys?
Old 10-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Dr Honda

Hi Guys,

OK… I got enough time today to get it finished to the point where I can get a few test flights in tomorrow. Right now, it balances at 5.5”. I know this is the forward point… but I did not have to add any led to the model to make it balance!! But, I did have to do some surgery, and mount the battery right in front of the tail servos. But, it was pretty painless. I just cut the covering on the bottom, slid the battery in with some foam, and glued in a few sticks to keep it in place. Then I just put some trim tape over the hole.

Now… for what everyone has been waiting for… this bird came out just under 8 Lbs dry!!! Not bad seeing that the book says the flying weight should be 8 to 9.5 Lbs. I haven’t put on the cowling yet, or my aluminum spinner, but those will add 113.4g of weight. (about 4oz) and I figure the center of that weight will be at 14.5 inches forward of the CG. The tail is about 38 inches rear of the CG. So, that will give me a 3.8:1 balance factor. So… with some fuel, and if I want to move the CG about 0.5 inches… I will need to add 46g of led to the tail to add the cowl and spinner. (it’s not going on for the test flights) So, that will add a total of 5.62oz to the airframe. Bringing it up to a final weight of 8Lbs, 5.12oz!! Not bad for a gasser with a mag still mounted to it.

Speaking of the mag, and the engine… The engine is a 19.8cc John Deere. (Mitsubishi, not Koritz like stated before) Right now I’m spinning a 16x6 TF power point at a speed of 7550 rpm’s. That is giving me about 10# of static thrust according to my fish scale. (can we say 3D) And I’m getting a smooth idle down at 2000rpm. But, it will drop the entire way down to 1300rpm. But at that point, I don’t know if it will be reliable, and the model shakes worse than my Dad’s Harley.

I’ll take it out tomorrow for a test flight. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:17 PM
grandad1

Dr Honda that looks good and I hope it works out well for you too.I am running A couple of gaser on other plane and I found out that by turning the ( Vlostic stack around where the slop is not faceing the Prop they ran better.)The prop was putting too much air into the carb when the slop was faceing the prop.Thought I would share that being I saw you had yours turn too the prop.Hope this might help and good luck on your test flight Grandad1.

Joe
Old 10-07-2007, 12:52 AM
unclecrash

Having a few issues with this arf. Im building it for a guy who doesn't have much time to build any more. Tank issue. Aileron issue. Any one else have any trouble with the tank I have it in the saddle and zip tied down but wing wont go past it. I have been building planes for a long time and it seems that the tank needs to go up through the hole in the firewall to make it work but for some reason they didnt cut the hole big enough. And if I inlarge the hole that means grinding the motor mount bolts off to keep the tank from hitting them. Ailerons the one is 1/4 inch from the plane the other is actually rubbing the plane at full up. If Im correct I thing there is a bit more of a bulge on the side of the fuse that rubs. Also they give a couple zip ties with the tank but allbe damn if I can figure how it straps down. I built my own hard points for the straps. Seems like this thing is a bit under engineered. And the directions could use a bit of work also. Afew errors in it. CG is wrong. The throttle linkage is wrong. They tell you the right tube to use for the sleeve but tell you to use I think it was the 12in push rod which is way short. The one elevator servo in the very back about gets rammed out the opposite side of the plane. Ok guess I was just expecting to be able to slap it together hassle free. I could vent on a few more issues but Ill just shut my pothole. I like the plane alot. IM JUST JEALOUS ITS NOT MINE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.