Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Flip Starting

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Flip Starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 07:51 PM
show871

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flip Starting

What is the best flip starting technique for a saito 1.25???????

This is my first gas plane so please give me some details!

Thanks

Old 09-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flip Starting

I do the back flip--No pun intended. Fourstrokes have a tendency to kick back. They can also throw a prop as good as any horse can throw a shoe.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:13 PM
show871

now I am really confused!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:16 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

USING A CHICKEN STICK....flip the prop clockwise - it will backfire and start running the correct direction (counter-clockwise).
Old 09-09-2007, 11:46 PM
NikolayTT

Hi Guys,

Check the Propeller Manufacturer Warnings - that is "out of law" for many propellers because of the
hidden cracks caused ...

Well I have done it many times but once the blade of the propeller broke out after testing the full rpm
and nailed itsef into the tent nearby - it just went as knife there and it was from APC propeller 13x8 ...
on OS.91FX at 13000 rpm. Surely I do not believe it can kill person but it can take an eye out forever ...

Better stick to the starter who is propeller friendly ... isn't it, although I know the feeling of just flip it ....

Cheers,
Nick
Old 09-10-2007, 07:37 AM
fellers
My Feedback: (6)

Let me tell you what. The velocity that a prop half can be thrown from a prop spinning over 13,000rpm can, and will surely kill someone if it hit an eye, stomach, or kneck. By all means it will kill if it travels the perfect trajectory to it's target. These are not toys be very very careful. Starters are easy.
That is foolish saying it won't kill on these boards. There are kids who read this site very often. Don't be making them any more daring than they already are please!
Not saying your unsafe; saying kids are unsafe.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Well, looking from the front of the engine, the normal direction of rotation is counter clockwise. Go the other way, less chance of the chicken stick getting caught in the blad on a kickback. I use an electric starter but use this method on the large glows
Old 09-10-2007, 12:18 PM
NikolayTT

ORIGINAL: fellers

Let me tell you what. The velocity that a prop half can be thrown from a prop spinning over 13,000rpm can, and will surely kill someone if it hit an eye, stomach, or kneck. By all means it will kill if it travels the perfect trajectory to it's target. These are not toys be very very careful. Starters are easy.
That is foolish saying it won't kill on these boards. There are kids who read this site very often. Don't be making them any more daring than they already are please!
Not saying your unsafe; saying kids are unsafe.
Yes, sure, but why you then not getting updset with this whole Flip-over idea which is nothing else than
just to make it More Likely to have a blade crack and then ... exactly what you said ??????????
Old 09-10-2007, 08:16 PM
fellers

not upset... [:@]
Old 09-10-2007, 09:11 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: show871

What is the best flip starting technique for a saito 1.25???????

This is my first gas plane so please give me some details!

Thanks

You have chosen a heck of an engine to be your first 'gas' engine.
There are a lot of things to learn about, none of them particularly difficult, but you can damage your engine if you do not operate it correctly.
First and foremost read and follow the directions that came with the engine. If you do not have the instructions go to the Horizon Hobby website and look up Saito and download the them.
This engine is powerful and it can hurt you, please find someone locally that can help you.
Do you fly with a club ? If so get one of the other club members that knows how to operate four stroke engines to help you.
If you have no one locally to help post back here or PM me and I will do my best to help you.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Nathan King

I've never had a four-stroke kick back on me. The people I've seen with kickback/backwards starting were the ones that hesitated through the compression.

Of course USE A CHICKEN STICK. An electric starter is a great investment. It can be used on any plane and is slightly safer when used properly.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:35 PM
fellers

Chicken Stick for sure. I slit my fingers open when I started with planes trying to flip a fourstroke prop bare handed. Learned my lesson quickly.