Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 KMP PITTS 12 >

KMP PITTS 12

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

KMP PITTS 12

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:26 AM
My Feedback: (30)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: KMP PITTS 12

Hi Guys ,
Here is color scheme of my Pitts 12. It is different from both the color scheme YT INTERNATIONAL. I think it should be very visible in the air!!!
Asif

PS
Propwashed, you routed your rudder pull pull from different location than the manual. I was thinking of going the same route. can you measure where you drill hole for pull pull exit?
Thanks
Asif
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78294.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	778540  
Old 10-08-2007, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dearest Asif Bhai,

I m flying the same one with OS 160FX (in simulator) and will recommend you the same.

Happy landings

Haisan.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:34 AM

ORIGINAL: frankeldan

One More.

Dan
Thanks for stealing a pic I posted elswhere on the web. You should hav put the credits, i.e K. Elsfström

Otto
Old 10-08-2007, 09:52 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Asif, I will measure the slots when I get back today. The slot location for pull-pull exit holes really depends on where you mount your servo and the width of the rudder control horn and servo arm. But I'll let you kow where mine is.

Your color scheme is going to look real nice.

Here are some recent pics after yesterday. While waiting on the motor I went ahead and trimmed out the cockpit/pilot and installed the canopy to the canopy deck. Also designed, cut and added some vinyl graphics. (I have the Pitts model 12 logo available) PM me if interested. BTW the canopy when cut to the exact outline was a perfect match to the fram! it laid down very nice on the frame shoulder and I was able to secure with canopy glue.

Starting to come together

Name:	Jh17022.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	778711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58638.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	778712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60873.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	778713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm31058.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	778714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lx21870.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	778715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mc49790.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	778716  
Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookin' good. You're wasting no time in putting this one together. I'm still stuck on mounting my zdz 40 in the Edge. I should have that done tonight.

This week I also bought a Hanger9 twist with a magnum 52 4 stroke. I need to put that one together . not enuff spare time. I need to quit my job and work on my models full time. I don't think the family would appreciate that though. What kind of motor are you installing again?

I bought a Tru Turn blue anodized spinner from Tower , but it's way too small. I'll go with a 3.5" that I have "in stock".

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the videos of your first flights on you tube.

Dan
Old 10-08-2007, 01:37 PM

Dan, I hear you on the time it takes to put assemble/build all these kits I as well have several going at once. My 3w bearcat shows up today and I'm currently giving a TF P-40 a makeover. I also have a 35% and (2) 33% AM Yak 54's waiting for some love and assembly.

My wife prob hates me!

For the engine I'm gonna try the BCMA 40 w/ pitts muff. and upgraded carb should be hear in a day or two. This is a gamble on quality since I've not heard or looked into these motors much. I'll find out how it runs soon.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 PM

Is this the same spe-40 that Cermark sells ?

Let me know how that runs. I just bought a used zdz 40 for more than than the spe-40 new goes for.

You get alot for the money with the bcma 40. Hope it runs as well as it looks.

As far as the wife goes, Mine has had it with all my airplane stuff. Like all of my hobbies I get over obsessed.

Dan

Old 10-08-2007, 05:52 PM

I would rather of purchased a ZDZ Ive had good luck with them in the past. Just wanted to see if any of these cheaper versions will run well. Most problems people have with any of these engines is poor tuning. I will bench run prior to bolting on the plane. I will let you know. I believe Asif is also running the same engine. Sounds like he exchanged his 26 for the 40.

As for all the wives.... I still to this day cannot understand why they just don't see how cool is is to build fly and crash and build rc planes....what's wrong with them?

Is it because they are smarter than us? No! It is because those of us who endulge in this hobby suffer from a very rare disease called "I'd rather spend my money on me" How often do you say " Honey how about you go and buy you a new piece of jewelry today here's a grand$$$. Somehow we can justify in our distorted minds the cash we spend on this hobby compared to other probably more important things like "Diamonds" (how fun are they)LOL! I'll keep the planes....

Old 10-09-2007, 12:32 AM

Propwashed,
Your "Honda Scheme" looks much better than the Oracle. I was palling to install SPE 40 but one of my friend convenced me not to install SPE. I have read customer feedback on different forum about both SPE 26 and SPE 40. Like you mentioned they have tuning issues, I then decided to go with OS 160 with original muffler. With bission pitts muffler they have back pressure issue. I wanted ot go with ZDZ 40 but my LHS does not have it in stock, there is a month of wait time[:@]
Do you think ZDZ 50 would be too much power for this aircraft. My LHS has ZDZ 50 or I can opt for OS 160... What is your suggestion?

Are you using stock pushrod and wooden dowel for elevator?

Asif
Old 10-09-2007, 01:29 AM

Asif Here are pull pull demensions

Name:	Hf97686.gif
Views:	33
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	779345  
Old 10-09-2007, 01:41 AM

Thanks propwashed for the dimensions. It willm be very helpful

Asif
Old 10-09-2007, 01:43 AM

Asif Before you decide on the engine. Today I hung a 5 pound motorcycle battery in the engine compartment inside the cowl just to see how much wieght the front needed to balance. I laid 2 servos on the tail and installed the wings. The plane was right at 15 pounds.

Now the reason I did this was to really see how much wieght was needed up front to get the plane to balance on the cg. I lifted top wing at center approx 4" back forom leading edge and it was a bit tail heavy . At 6-7 in. back it was very close to balance.

This is why you need all the wieght up front. With an engine around 3.5 lbs. and a couple of batteries and another servo,empty fuel tank ect. This qwould be pretty close to what I checked today.

With this being said. I decided to install a single carbon fiber pushrod through the center of the fuse with a fork end made up of 2 4-40 wire w/threaded ends. I hate this set-up. but it may be the only option for now. I carfully Tig welded them together and then J/B welded them into the carbon rod. they will be driven by a single servo for now. mounted just in front of the wing tube to allow for the fuel tank to be mounted closer to the cg.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:48 AM

I think the 160 will be too light Go gas on this plane. A 50cc gas is too much I think. When my engine shows up I'll let you know how it runs. If it is a piece of crap I will be looking for a refund. A G-38 would be fine also. I like to fly 3D type manuvers so I want the power I hope to get out of this 40cc. We will see.

Frome what I've found out. Most of the problems with these engines were related to the ignitions on the first supply. The engines have been renewed and most of the dealers have upgraded ignitions. I'm crossing my fingers on this one.\

Can you get Moki engine? I would go Moki 1.8 if I were going glow. It's a bit heavier than the O.S
Old 10-09-2007, 02:00 AM

Propwashed,
thanks for your input. The only engine that is currently available with my LHS is SPE 40cc. I have to wait for ZDZ and Zenoah. The SPE that we have here is with walbro carb. I am not sure what carb are you using or more inportantly, will this engine perform Ok with walbro carb. All I know is this is a fresh import from China.
Let me know about your findings regarding SPE 40.

Thanks
Asif
Old 10-09-2007, 02:04 AM

The walbro carbs are what almost all mfgr's use they ar great carbs for these engines. I upgraded mine to a walbro carb when I ordered it.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:32 AM

So walbro carbs are better than Zama carb fot this engine? could you please give me model # of walbro carb that you upgraded to. I will pick up my SPE 40 in exchange to SPE 26 sometime tomorrow.
What prop size will you use on your SPE 40?
Asif
Old 10-09-2007, 09:09 AM

Asif, 18x8, 18,10, 20x8 Are the recommended props. Make sure to use large scale props for this engine. Not the typical Master Airscrew, Zinger, Apc. Use: 3w, Bolly, Vess, BME, Mejlick, Menz, just to name a few. And there are many more ask your dealer.

not sue on the model # for the carb yet When it arrives I'll let you know.

With gas engines you will need to change the way you start engines. Once my engine arrives, i can go over complete starting and tuning procedures with you. These are best hand/flip started. They start easy once set up right!

Also you will need to change the fuel line to yellow tygon tubing 1/8"-5/32". (no silicone!!!!) you will need to upgrade your fuel tank stopper to a gas compatible one and make sure to install yellow tygon pick up/clunk line as well. Also use brass tubes for your tank. you will run only one line to the input of the carb and the other is vented out the bottomof the plane. These carbs have a built in pulse pump. there is no need to presurize the fuel tanks.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:34 AM

Prop,

Who do you useally get your props from?

Which do you like better? Mejlick or Menz?

I had a Vess on my Brison and cought the edge on the field during landing. It has a minor split on the end. Does anyone ever repair and glue these or just toss out?

The Brison I bought on RCU doesn't startup all that easy. I know it's ignition. I need to get a new bosche plug lead and maybe a new sensor.

I was also thinking about throwing on an extra falcon Ignition that I have from the zdz. That way I can do away with the mechanical advance the Brison come with. Have you had any expertise in this area?

Regards,

Dan
Old 10-09-2007, 07:10 PM

Dan, depending on the level of damage to props, I have in the past repaired vwerysmall cracks and chips near the outboard edge of the blades. Forcarbon props I have used thin ca to make these Small repairs or used gap filling for dings then sanded out with 220-400 paper. You have to use good judgement wheather it's worth the repair and /or risk. I usually order my giant scale stuff from Troy built or Chief. They both offer allot of mfgr's to choose from. If going carbon I like the mejlick or PT Props from Troy built, They also carry a newline of TBM wood props which are prob made by another quality prop mfgr. Shopping most props is like buying cars. "Name brands and preferance"
BME,3w,Bolly, Menz, too many, all good quality IMO.

Never had the chance to run or tune a brisson and was always curious of how well the advance timing system works. I have never heard anything bad about them. Your starting problems could be a low end mixture adjust problem. One thing to remenber they have to be "wet" to fire. And the low end needle has to be right on to be consistant.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:17 AM

Propwashed,
Thanks for your reply on prop size. I have in past used DA 50, so I am somewhat fimilar with the procedure..... I will let you know if I get stuck!!

Asif
Old 10-10-2007, 12:51 AM

Well still no engine from BCMA. Sounds like they do some final assembly stateside once they sell one. Mount the carb block and carb ect. I ordered it Thurs night and called them Fri morning to confirm. Hopefully only a couple more days...
I'll prob end up pushing the motor forward as much as I can to help with the cg. We would do this allot on the Yaks and they flew just fine.

Asif, Do you have a digital camara to post some pics of your progress?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:18 AM

Propwashed,
I was lazy enough to post just 1 picture, I will post some more pictures this week ends. What I now need to do is to install electronic and engine.
Top wings are assembled, rudder installed, tailwheel inplace, bottom wings installed. stab and elevator installed. All alignment of top, and bottom wing done, and the alignment of stab with wing complete.
I am not happy with crappy foam tail wheel, will replace it with dubro tail wheel.
I will pick my engine tomorrow.
my LHS is selling SPE 40cc for US$ 254....... real good deal!!!!! [X(]
Will post pictures soon
Asif
Old 10-10-2007, 01:22 AM

Wow, That is a great deal!!! Is that with the walbro carb? Also I would like to see what ignition yours comes with when you get it.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:41 AM

yeah its a great deal. I have seen the engine, it has walbro carb, and is fresh import from china. The ignition is the one that originally comes from china. Will post pictures on friday.
Thanks
Asif
Old 10-10-2007, 02:16 PM

Propwashed,
I chekced the ignition is "auto advance ignition" they are made by "melody." same chinese comapny that makes these engines I guess it is different from what you get in USA.
asif

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.