Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

F4U Corsair ARF?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

F4U Corsair ARF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 04:54 AM
leadstk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4U Corsair ARF?

Thanks JoeM and Richard, Glad to know it's not ALL me, though most of it is. I'll keep posting with experience.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:38 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F4U Corsair ARF?

Hey guys, I took my Kyosho Corsair up for her maiden flight over the weekend, and she flew great, just as expected. My CG is at 93.5-mm from the wing leading edge right next to the fuselage. I did not have to add any extra lead to balance the plane. Take offs and landings were not a problem at all, even from relatively tall grass. I landed her smoothly, and she did not nose over once. The Hobbico 90° rotating mechanical retracts seemed to work just fine - they did not rotate during taxi, take off, or landing. Loops and rolls were effortless. The plane did not require any aileron or rudder trim to fly straight. However, I had to use down elevator trim to obtain level flight at full throttle. That YS 63 sounded sweet and kicked major butt. The only thing that I'm not happy about is that "tail waggle". I can't figure it out. My rudder is straight, yet the plane tends to wiggle its tail while flying. I will try to get some pictures of the plane in action this coming weekend.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:23 PM
v6goose

Default F4U Corsair ARF?

Hey Rich...

Good news about your F4U!

The tail waggle you talk about happens on the full size ones as well as models. According to the experts (not me) it is caused by the disruption of air flow, breaking up behind the canopy, and therefore affecting the flow over the fin and rudder.

You will also notice that it happens at a certain speed range. Slower its ok, then some waggle as the speed increases, and then its gone again. Apparantely this is where the airflow seperates, and as the speed increases, it re-'sticks'.

good stuff

Goose
Old 04-13-2003, 02:23 AM
Richard L.

Default F4U Corsair ARF?

I did some more flying today. The plane turned out to be a very easy plane to fly and land from a grass field. Here are a couple of static shots:

Take offs were smooth and scale as I got more use to her. She had very little tail waggle today as there was little wind. The Hobbico retracts are still functioning properly, and the plane still hasn't nosed over yet. This Corsair is fast becoming my favorite warbird to fly and land.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:26 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default F4U Corsair ARF?

Very Nice Looking! How much does it weigh? I still maintain, I have yet to see a Corsair ARF with a more accurate/ scale finish than the Kyosho. In fact, the compition is'nt even close.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:35 AM
Richard L.

Default F4U Corsair ARF?

My Corsair ended up 8 lbs 0.6 oz with a YS FZ63 and Magnum aluminum motor mount up front. This is a pound and a half more than my Kyosho Zero and Bf109E. The inverted gull wing weighs three pounds by itself. Just for reference, my 65" span Top Flite Mustang wing, which is bigger and has ABS scoop, Robart retracts, etc.., also weighs three pounds. Although a little bit on the heavy side, the Corsair still flies great.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:22 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default F4U Corsair ARF?

Bumped, for the benefit of newbies
Old 06-21-2003, 01:38 AM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Default GSP Corsair

Guys I just put my GSP Corsair up for sale in the Airplanes for sale forum. I reviewed the plane for RCU a couple months ago.

Erick
Old 06-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default F4U Corsair ARF?

Guys, if you want to get in the air quick, I just put my Kyosho Corsair up for sale in the Warbirds for sale. RTF with an OS 70 Surpass. Plane has 25 flights on it , awesome flyer!!
Thanks,
Fred Check6