Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:04 PM
norm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Sevans,

Install the vp30 perry pump and don't bother with the muffler. That may be an option, Ihate to butcher up a cowl also. If you need infos on how to fit the pump with your OS81, I'll help. The sound is so much like the real thing when it is straight pipe!

Normand
Old 02-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

Some people have to abide by the decibles allowed by the AMA. It seems to me that you think that the louder the plane, the better it is. I have to disagree with your thinking on the loudness. We fly at a field where there are many new homes under construction and we get a lot of complaints, even with our planes that meet the AMA noise level. So, unless you fly out in the country, it is not always possible to have a engine run without a muffler. A srtaight pipe would probably be over the AMA limit. Our field would not even allow a plane to fly without a muffler.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:19 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

you need to find a new field cranky homeowners will never leave you alone. Well ive been applying rivets and bolts to the outer panels. pic soon . Ive been working on my wingspan b-17 the last week. I have a build threat in the multiengine section
Old 02-15-2008, 09:22 PM
timothy thompson

well ive been applying rivets and duz fasteners. pics soon. Ive been working on my wingspan B-17 for the past week. i have a build thread in the multi engine forum.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:48 AM
camdyson

Bet the urban cattle still have mowers, leaf blowers, trimmers and dogs. And how far are they from THEIR neighbours?[sm=48_48.gif][sm=47_47.gif]

Sorry, forgot my med's..........
Old 02-16-2008, 02:36 AM
fytrjok

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fellas,
I think it's time to help motivate all you guys who have the B25 but for whatever reason haven't gotten it all together yet. The winter will be winding down sooner than you think and all of the sudden...voila!...summer's here. Don't forget, some of you will need to practice your formation skills before the big Warbird fly-ins coming this summer. In order to help with any motivation you may need, here's a few pics of the fun my buddy Clark and I had last weekend. He's flying the H9 with a couple of OS70 FSII's...the same as my TF is using. There's only one thing that sounds better than four OS 70's flying by in formation...that's more than four! The sweet purrrrrr of those engines will put a smile on anyone's face. The following are screen captures from my video camera....enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50897.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	879971   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27110.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	879972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13736.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	879973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh58718.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	879974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh66263.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	879975  
Old 02-16-2008, 02:44 AM
fytrjok

Here's some more...

Name:	Cx76756.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	879977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90472.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	879978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23242.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	879979   Click image for larger version

Name:	My25355.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	879980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aq98599.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	879981  
Old 02-16-2008, 02:51 AM
fytrjok

...still more...

Name:	Nl30931.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	879986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17994.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	879987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35928.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	879988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80607.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	879989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj63581.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	879990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lb46297.jpg
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	879991  
Old 02-16-2008, 02:53 AM
fytrjok

...and the last two.

Name:	Hf98511.jpg
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	879992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12712.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	879993  
Old 02-16-2008, 03:13 AM
fytrjok

I thought I'd add a couple more thoughts...first, that last pic is not a low pass. It's a shot just before touchdown...yep, I had to belly her in because my left gear refused to deploy. Turns out that the inside gear door push rod wasn't shaped quite right and was pulling on the door when the gear were retracted(binding). The fix was easy...disconnect door push rods and retract the gear. Then close the inner door and see how the push rod aligns. If it causes any binding at all you'll have some repairs to do to the bottom of your plane if you go fly. This brings up another question. If you only have two gear that deploy, is it better to land with the gear up? I've done it both ways...with two gear down(1 main, 1 nose) the plane will pull towards the collapsed gear. Be ready for that or you could inadvertently be heading for the flight line. I chose to land with gear up and ended up spending a couple of hours repairing the sheeting and covering. After all, it does weigh 21 lbs. Anyway, I love this model...it is truly majestic in the air. I believe that 2008 should be declared "The Year of the B25". I mean with H9, TF and now KMP all releasing B25's.....whatcha' think? And by the way, the field in the pics is where we will celebrate the 5th annual "Warbirds Over Denver", June 13, 14 and 15. I know of at least half a dozen B25's that will be flying together...more if any of you guys can show up!

Doug
Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 AM
nchrome

Well if I get here finished (repaired) is there room for a Wing B-25. Mine will have a couple of these SK 70s,robart retracts bombbay doors, aircooler flaps(funcitional)and possibly mechanical brakes. That is if I can get the time off from work.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:39 PM
fytrjok

Nchrome,

There will be at least two Wing B25's at the event...I have one of those as well and am in the process of refinishing it to look like one of the B25's that was made to resemble Doolittle's plane. They toured the States to promote the "Raid". Great flyers aren't they!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:22 PM
flaviosi

Hi, Mike,

I'm back after a while just to see you guys! Didn't start building the B-25 yet. I'm still finishing my Staggerwing. Christmas was busy and I took my annual 30 days trip in January.

Flavio, I will be thinking of you while I am skiing in Austria next week!
So, how did the ski go????

Flavio
Old 02-17-2008, 02:14 PM
timothy thompson

very nice. i never film my planes bad karma
Old 02-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Jon Wise

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

you need to find a new field cranky homeowners will never leave you alone

This is so true. We just lost our field this past month. We had a woman that had filed a few complaints to the borough, so they sent out a guy to take sound readings and we were within the limits of the borough sound ordinances every time they checked us. So some how she got the assembly on her side and they sneakily rewrote and passed a new ordinance to single out R/C vehicles and set the db level (42db) so low it can't be met. So I'm thinking about how to make my B-25 as quiet as possible. Thinking about installing pattern exhaust through the nacelles and exiting out the rear of the nacelles. We are looking at another field 30 miles out of town but I still want to quiet down all of my planes as much as possible. Thanks for all the tips on this thread guys, I will be building another B-25 soon and it will be electric, sorry Normand. Mike I am still going to send for another set of levers if you still have them? Later Jon
Old 02-17-2008, 11:19 PM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

Sounds like most flying with 4 strokes. Does anyone have OS 50 or 55's in one? If so how does it fly?
booker
Old 02-18-2008, 02:10 AM
fytrjok

Jon,
AMA has resources you might check into to assist with things like this. This single lady has just diminished the quality of life for all the guys that flew at that field. This is why attorneys were invented...got any in your group? If not, you might contact your AMA district rep. By the way, does that lady freak out if someone uses a snowblower or mows their lawn...geez, the nerve of some people![:@]
Old 02-18-2008, 08:37 AM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under most statutes you would have grandfather clause. I recommend everyone keep an eye on your neighbors through the published agenda of your local elected individuals. In fact, its a better idea to invite your local magistrates out for a Saturday warm and fuzzy when it warms up a degree or three.

One of the fields I am a member of is actually owned by the County...They have invested well over $100K in improvements over the last fifteen years...and actually provided new property when encroachment from development over ran the field... Spell that FREE!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Bill Giulian
My Feedback: (38)

Tim. Maybe I'm overdoing my reading of these postings but could you clear something up for me. Somewhere during my study of these posting I obtained a TF Product Improvement #TOPA0980ADDN01 Which shows positioning the retract ALL THE WAY BACK when mounting. I also have what seems to be the current TF Product Improvement #TOPA0980ADDN03 which tells me to center the retract from side-to-side and front-to-back. Reasoning tells to follow the instructions which tell me to center the retracts. Could you please tell me if my reasoning is correct? Thanks, Bill Giulian.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:03 AM
krproton

Hi Bill.

The instructions tell you to center the retracts in the rails (front-to back).

Then, when extended, I didn't want the Robart strut to encroach too much into the fiberglass nacelle. There is already a half-round cutout in the nacelle to accommodate the strut, but it may not be quite enough and I didn't want modelers to have to cut any farther. Therefore, we put out the Tech Notice telling modelers to mount the retract aft. Problem is, sometimes this causes the air cylinder on the retract to interfere with the nylon clevis on the door lever. If you have already mounted your retract in the aft position, and if the clevis interferes with the air cylinder, you should be able to shave a little bit of plastic off the clevis to get it to clear--this is what I did on one of my clevises on the lever--no problem.

Another way to resolve the problem would be to shim the lever away from the lever mount a 1/64" or so with a washer or plywood disc.

Or, if you haven't yet mounted your retract, just go ahead and mount it in the center of the rail as originally intended and as instructed in the latest Tech Notice. You may have to enlarge the half-round notch in the fiberglass nacelle to accommodate the strut when extended, but just a very little.

Either way, there may be just a minor interference which is easy to fix.

Does this help?

Sorry.

Thanks.

Tim
Old 02-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Bill Giulian
My Feedback: (38)

Thanks again for your help Tim. I will install them centered. As usual you are a great help. I ordered my second OS FSa-81 last week and have both engines installled. Had to cut out some of the protruding part of the mount which is only there for mounting a nose gear anyway. But this was the only way I could get the engine back far enough in the mount. Hope this works out OK. Thanks again. Bill.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:18 PM
carlosvaldesb

hi i just got in my b-25 and i have concerns about the engines, i know its for a 70 4 stroke but where i live its a desert very dry and also very hi , its 5000 ft above sea level so could you please tell me should i go with the recomended engines of bigger?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:58 PM
jddickers
My Feedback: (98)

Tim, Just to let you know you did a great job on this B-25. Mt last one was a KMP and this one is by far better in all ways. I have just started the build and every thing is going fine. I had to wait on the retracts but should be here by the end of the week. The engines I have coming are OS 70's ultimate with pumps. My question is will these mount the same as the OS 70. They say they are shorter. Thanks for all the info you have given all of us. Keep it up
JD
Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Jon Wise

Yes we contacted AMA they gave us a letter to give to the assembly. The assembly looked at it and said thanks. We had about 30 people at the assembly meeting, against the one lady that complained. They passed the ordinance anyway. We don't have a lawyer in our club anymore. We consulted one before the meeting and was told it would cost $10,000 or more to fight these people. Lots of things happened in this process, they tried to do everything without ever notifying us and scheduling meetings and not telling us. Then when we found out about a meeting they scheduled they would change it and not tell us. We were able to stay on top of them and find out about their underhanded changes, but it didn't help in the end. Sorry for the off topic guys it's just very frustrating for us. Back to B-25.
Mine is hanging in the local hobbyshop until winter is over. Man does it get alot of attention. People love it. I will get it home come spring and finish the gear doors install. I never installed the main doors. I need to work on the nose gear door I couldn,t get it to keep from sticking. Later Jon
Old 02-18-2008, 05:32 PM
krproton

ORIGINAL: jddickers

Tim, Just to let you know you did a great job on this B-25. Mt last one was a KMP and this one is by far better in all ways. I have just started the build and every thing is going fine. I had to wait on the retracts but should be here by the end of the week. The engines I have coming are OS 70's ultimate with pumps. My question is will these mount the same as the OS 70. They say they are shorter. Thanks for all the info you have given all of us. Keep it up
JD
Hi JD.

Thanks for the compliment.

I haven't examined the "Ultimate" first-hand. All you really need to know is the distance (provided in the instruction manual) between the front of the drive washer and the firewall (which I believe is 5"). Just position your engine on the mount to achieve that distance. If you want, you could mount the engine (drive washer) approximately 4-7/8" from the firewall instead. This will move the cowl that much farther aft to reduce the gap between the aft edge of the cowl and the fiberglass nacelle cover--some think the gap is too large and doesn't look right.

I don't know where you ordered your retracts from, but they are in stock here at Hobbico now--I just got mine on Friday!

Let us know if there is any trouble mounting those engines.

Thanks again.

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.