Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:41 AM
MLDELARUELLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Hi all,
I'm using Futaba 3004 servos for all the commands, except aileorns and elevator where I use 9001 servos and 2 mini servos for the rudders, but I don't remember right now.

I would like to know for the flaps. Does someone get issues by connecting four 3004 servos using 3 Y adapters on the same output of the receiver ?

Is everybody doing this ?

Or it's advisable to use 2 outputs on the receiver ? Or a MSA-10 ?

Thanks
ML
Old 04-29-2008, 11:54 AM
danrc2

hey guys,
sorry i didnt post anything in a long time. between work and working on the plane here and there. but finally done other then run the motors and get them set. building is all complete. run down of what i did and have. OS 70's, all futaba radio gear, working landing lights, full scale pilots and gunner set ( two pilots and three gunners) bomb bay doors with wingspanmodels bomb release system to release four bombs one at a time, static display props from wingspanmodels, on board glow driver from sullivan for the twin, scale wheels from robart and retracts, three lith-ion batteries ( one for the reciever, one for glow driver and other for release system).

i didnt weigh it yet. but should come in about 22 lbs.

i will get some pictures up tomorrow. it looks great!!!

thanks
dan
Old 04-29-2008, 01:03 PM
CCFPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ML

On my B25 I am using only 6 channels, so I have "Y" connectors on:
1. 3 servos for two rudders and one steering,
2. 4 servos for flaps
3. 2 servos for engines, Mechanically adjusted for idle
4. 2 servos for ailerons.

works great.

Ethan
Old 04-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Bill Giulian
My Feedback: (38)

Asnook. Video was really great. Thanks for the response about the pilots. However, I am not familiar with Pete's pilots. Where do you purchase them? Bill.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:30 PM
norm

ccfpilot,

Nice video you shot there. Now I feel normal for flying onle about 5 minutes each flights! I shot a video last sunday of 3 additional flights made on the B-25 ( 8 total so far) first time out since last November. Winter has been long. It feels great to fly this plane again but "cleaning the dishes" takes about an hour.

I tested the brakes from Robart and this is a must on this plane. Will shoot another video next time in a lesser resolution and post it here.

Normand
Old 04-29-2008, 07:44 PM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Nice videos. And those engines are rippin'! (Sounds just like mine!). Are you going to install the replica engines?

Well, looks great and thanks for posting.

Tim
Old 04-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

Brakes are not a MUST on this plane.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:29 PM
CCFPILOT

Nether is engine sync, nor gyro on the rudder, but they may be nice to have. I especially like the mods that you guys are doing on the bomb bay. I may (if the plane lasts long enough) do that myself. some day.

At the Toledo show, at the Wingspan booth they were displaying a B25 with a bomb bay that they are intending to sell as an add on to the TF B25. An option is their bomb dropping addition. Nolthing about this on their web site yet.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:28 PM
norm

Hell cat,

When i mention brakes are a must, it is not that you need them for landing this plane but adds scale features that is "awsome" and when you run up the engines full throttle on the runway, it is impressive, and if you commit to a landing that might end up too far it is good to have... I enjoy them very much.

You might be interested in following a thread I started for a VQ A-26 with twin FZ63S.

For now I enjoy the good weather returning and adding hours on that B-25. I t flys and sounds great.

BTW have you flown your B-25 with the twin YS63's?

Normand

Old 04-30-2008, 07:08 PM
camdyson

Re the issue with 4 flaps from one channel, I am using a JR Multi Box - a great little gadget that plugs into one channel of the Rx and has 4 outputs. This has a few advantages:
1. No need for y-leads
2. Separate power supply (optional)
3. Each servo can have centring/endpoint/reversing adjusted independently

#2 is actually the big plus - I'm VERY reluctant to run all the servos for this plane through a single Rx as that can be ALOT of current at times (I've got 14 servos plus a gyro in it!). Landing with full flaps draws alot of current, so by running a separate battery pack/switch to the Multi Box, the flaps aren't drawing current from the Rx.

I have a 3300 sub-C mAh NiMH pack for the Rx with it's own HD switch and voltmeter, and a separate 2700 AA NiMH pack plus HD switch and voltmeter for the Multi Box (flaps). All 4.8V.

Cam

BTW - after getting all excited about my neat servo-slow on the bomb bay doors, I saw a docco' on B25's last night which showed the bomb bay door operation - they virtually SNAP open and closed! [:@]
Old 05-02-2008, 12:15 PM
rc74
My Feedback: (6)

Here is my TF B-25 at our clubs annual static show. Satio 82 w/grapner 12/8 props, onboard glow, Twin sync, Nav lights, bomb bay w/ 8 bomb load able to drop 4 at a time. Hanger 9 pilots. Won Best of show!! I did my maiden flight this past wed 4/30. All went great you can see the video on . http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_67...tm.htm#7447815 Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92085.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	941432  
Old 05-02-2008, 03:06 PM
krproton

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L rc74!

I can see you put a lot of extra work into your model. But tell me how a guy wins "Best of Show" with an ARF!?! [)]

I'll check out the video from my home computer. Can't wait to see it.

Congratulations. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Tim
Old 05-03-2008, 01:28 AM
norm

sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 05-05-2008, 06:13 PM
europatc74
My Feedback: (6)

Our Club will do both a Best of Show ARF and Best of Show Kit......You still need to assemble an ARF...
Old 05-05-2008, 09:21 PM
krproton

Well, this is going to take us off-topic, but hopefully not for too long (we'll see!).

I think it is a whole other set of skills to properly assemble an ARF. Without even making modifications, one can "customize" an ARF simply by taking time to work with the covering to get it "nailed down" and doing a proper radio/engine installation. Then there are the mod's such as lining wheel pants with carbon fiber, cowl rings, pilots, etc., etc. So I agree, an award for "Best ARF" is worthy.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:30 AM
asnook

Well Guys
I nearly lost her yesterday, the wind was the wrong way for our small field. This means you have to come in over electric wires and drop down short onto the strip for landing.
This increases flying speed and a crosswind did not help, anyway after several landing attempts I was getting low on fuel. Decided the next attempt would have to be fina even if I forced her down.
She still came in far to fast and hit the ground, crunch and she skidded around 10 feet with the nose pointing down. First reaction was thank £$$%* for that as the shaking eased off.
I was dreading going over to inspect the damage. Its my lucky day!
The only damage was the pin on the nose leg had snapped, everything else is fine. Even the nose gear doors are untouched, amazing.

Im having trouble getting the swivel part free from the housing even with all the set screws removed ideas welcome
Old 05-06-2008, 08:10 PM
norm

EVENTFUL TAKEOFF:

Well nice day little breeze in Montreal, took off work and got to the field at 13:00. Surprize after the 45 min drive, 15 knot wind 90 degree from the runway...Should pack up and leave... I start the engines anyway, runup for a few minutes, top off fuel and air and full throttle on takeoff...and the wind picked up a ribbon 3 feet long from nowhere blown directly on the right engine at full throttle speed and liftoff time, the right engine is tangled with the ribbon and my worst nightmare, it died at 6 inch from the ground, enough momentum to climb to 10 feet and the GYRO did the right thing. The plane abrubtly turned to the right and my normal immediate reaction to level the wings worked. Now its going downwind away from me to its doom...NO WAY, gears up full throttle and maintain level and a slow turn into the dead engine (wrong way but only option) clibing slowly 5 feet per 200 feet skinning fences to about 50 feet and letting the gyro take care of the Yaw, I flew the thing to line it up after a full Looooonnnngggg (never ending) circle to line up with the runway 1/2 flaps gear down (Now it is unstable) throttle back to 1/2 and glide to the runway banking into the running left engine and the plane landed as smoothly as if it had 2 engines.

This 150$ gyro saved this plane (3500$+)from destruction. Some carry around a rabbit leg, well I think I will always carry around a gyro. I have been testing the gyro for engine failure in the air 200feet +with my dual Ace testing slow speed climb to full throttle and idling an engine, would never attempt to do it on a takeoff roll 6 inch from the ground (too chicken) but this time the real unwanted thing happened and it did the job and better: the 24 lbs B-25 climbed on one engine!! (Saito 82). Hope it never happens again but this thing certainely worked. I know my cardiovascular is ok now.

Normand.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:00 PM
krproton

Normand and asnook, you guys are killing me! I just about had a coronary reading both of your stories. But I'm very glad both of you saved your models - normand with no damage and asnook with little damage. I haven't gotten my B-25 out yet this year because I've been flying my Extra (sorry).

asnook, get that nose gear fixed yet?

Anyway, I'm reading your posts and keep 'em comin'.

Whew!!!!!!!!

Tim
Old 05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
CCFPILOT

Normand

What a flight.

I'm not sure if my FS 70's would do the job. Also, no gyro. on my B25 either, but I haven't seen any 3 foot ribbons at the field either.

I sure am glad you were able to get back safely.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
norm

CCF,

I'm still dozing off this one but I argued many times before the need for a Gyro on the rudder in there. It is a cheap insurance and it will react better than you can. If power is missing to maintain the climb you can still have time to reduce throttle and land ahead with the options you have. This was the worse case scenario and it had to happen.

About the ribbon, it is a detached part of the windsock we had last year that was picked up by the wind. It was green color in the long grass siding the runway. Normally no members would leave junk lying around. I should buy a lottery ticket, the moon and sun and all that stuff must be well positionned for me.

Thanks for the thought.

Normand
Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM
MLDELARUELLE

Hi norman,

Why don't you consider a Twinsync ?
In your case, it would idle the remaining engine.
But the last of the flight would be harder.

How do you set the Gyro ? At the CG. Connected to the rudders.

ML
Old 05-07-2008, 02:48 PM
norm

You set the Gyro on the rudder channel and then rudder and noze wheel to the gyro. The gyro is positionned at the cg in the belly in the perfect center. Twinsync is not my dada because a few 100 rpm difference between the engines adds to the scale feature and brings no real benifits other than less options. This item in my opinion is sold on the only belief that both engines should be running the same rpm at any settings...500 rpm difference is hard to get and you really have to be poorly talented to obtain such a difference unless there is something wrong with the engine to begin with. In reality 500 rpm difference is almost impossible to notice in any phase of flight, take off, flying or landing. The most difference i had with 2 engines was 220 rpm difference at full throttle in the 12300 rpm range on twin OS55. If you are out of luck with 4 strokes you will get 100 rpm difference. The difference is 99.9999% negelctable.

Normand
Old 05-07-2008, 02:57 PM
MLDELARUELLE

I agree, but I intend to use it to idle or cut the remaining engine if the other fails.
ML
Old 05-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Robert 111

Hello Fellows,
After buying a TF-25 for myself this January I started following your thread. Thanks for all the great tips. I test flew it this last weekend.
Wow, what a fantastic flying plane I love it.
Thank-you Top flite and thank-you Tim Lampe.
What a great Value. ROB
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Anyone have a link to the page for BOMBBAY installation ?
I am wanting to install a bombrelease mechanism ...

THANKS,

-NEMESIS4U

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.