Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Robert 111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Hi Guys;
I have fogged the rear conopy as well and thought I'd have to buy a new one. Out of desperation I gave it a shot of WD-40 and then dryed it off with some compressed air, it's not perfect but looks a lot better than it did.
Rob
Old 10-18-2008, 07:09 AM
rnordeck

Normand et all,

Need some second opinions: What U think of running the two O.S. FS-70 Surpass with straight pipes; NO muffler and NO pumps - "carb" vacuum pull only??? with MeDaniels onboard glow.

Was recommended by a TF B-25 flyer at Warbirds over Rockies.....but I'm kinda skeptical about low tank fuel draw and idle reliability.

What U think??

Bad Bob
Old 10-18-2008, 07:26 AM
norm

Bob,

It will be working...sometimes...but the problem is when will it not work? There is too many engineers out there! In my opinion, it is best to follow the Mfg instructios and pump your fuel with muffler pressure or a pump.

Normand
Old 10-19-2008, 02:28 PM
toreo

normand +1!
twinbomber is not right place to experiment with engines releability.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:55 PM
norm

Toreo, I agree with you no experiment on twins or multi engines!

Taking my plane for Russia this coming thursday, I got my visa this week, looking forward to a nice tournament, starting in Moscow, then we fly to Saint-Pertersurgh, ( Leningrad) we then go to Helsinky, Finland then finish in Stockholm Sweeden after a 12 day Hockey tournament. I am really looking forward to this. On my return, back to work on Bombers. I just got a Kit from Tony Nuijhis plans for a 11 feet wingspan Avro Lancaster Bomber!!! powered by 4 engines. Just started a thread on this plane.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#8051097

Will start to fill the thread when I return on November.

Normand
Old 10-20-2008, 03:36 PM
djstar39
My Feedback: (4)

Folks,

Working on my bomber and have a radio setup question. I have a JR 9303 Heli version radio and need to decide how I want to program the throttles. I have two McDanniel 466 glow drivers that I'll be mounting in the nacelles. I have a Matchbox (but have never used one) or I can set the throttles up on different channels and use the radio to do the programming (not sure how to do that either). Norman, I think I read many posts ago that you're in favor of the Matchbox solution. I will use a Matchbox on the flaps.

So with either solution I would have the throttle servo going to the onboard glows and then from there to either the Matchbox or to the receiver. If to the Matchbox, I would then just have one wire going from the Matchbox to the throttle channel on the receiver. Question on the Matchbox... I can only set the neutral and end points, right?

If I'm not using the Matchbox then the leads from the onboard glow would go to the Throttle channel and one of the Aux channels. Has anyone done this and can you tell me how? Do I set up a mix? Will I be able to use the 7 point throttle curve on each? Would that be better than 3 positions on the Matchbox or is this overkill.

Pro's and Cons... with the Matchbox I have one more device that can fail. Other thoughts? Am I being too neurotic? You've all drilled it into me that engine reliability and being in sync are the keys.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 10-20-2008, 05:43 PM
norm

Dave when you get there you will get it all... matchbox are the best for your plan...will explain in details how to set it up but read the instructions first. I am a bit busy now but will explain soon in details matchbox for flaps switch and for throttle setup.

Normand
Old 10-21-2008, 02:17 PM
djstar39
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks Normand! No rush... this is a winter project for me that I started a little early.

Dave
Old 10-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Airnondas
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: normandouellette

Toreo, I agree with you no experiment on twins or multi engines!

Taking my plane for Russia this coming thursday, I got my visa this week, looking forward to a nice tournament, starting in Moscow, then we fly to Saint-Pertersurgh, ( Leningrad) we then go to Helsinky, Finland then finish in Stockholm Sweeden after a 12 day Hockey tournament. I am really looking forward to this. On my return, back to work on Bombers. I just got a Kit from Tony Nuijhis plans for a 11 feet wingspan Avro Lancaster Bomber!!! powered by 4 engines. Just started a thread on this plane.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#8051097

Will start to fill the thread when I return on November.

Normand

Hello Normie.

We all here at your flying club want to wish you a great trip and also a safe one. We know how tough hockey tournaments are and would hate to see you get hurt. We need people like you. Your wisdom as you once called it is very valuable, and from what I have seen at the club lately your reputation is also well respected, and I am sure that all the club members especially the administration are going to miss you. LoL Lol.

We are all so so so sad to see you go....

Bon Voyage.

Airnondas.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:37 PM
europatc74
My Feedback: (6)

DJSTAR39
On my Futaba tranmitter for the throttles I mix channel 3 and 6 which is variable(dial). 3 is the master and 6 is the slave. I can adjust both engines seperately then balance the throttles using the dial on channel 6.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Quigleywins

Hi All TF B25s
Last Feb had a big win on the pokies so the next day pointed the Ford towards Melbourne and the first stop was the hobbie shop. 30 minutes later I had 2 OS 81alps and 1 top flite b25 in the back of the van. At home it still sits on the kitchen table{a solid redgum at that} where it is almost completed. I have completed all but the cowls, I am just not happy with this task. Hope to hear from people who have fitted 81s to there ship , I need your advise.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:56 AM
camdyson

Dave,

Unless the heli version has a dual throttle mode - unlikely(?!) - I'd go the matchbox and save a channel for something more fun like dropping bombs

The airplane version with dual throttle mode is what I use, and is great, but really the idles and top ends are the important bits, and can be done on the matchbox. Don't bother too much until you've completely run in and tuned the motors, or you'll be forever fiddling.

Cam
Old 10-23-2008, 09:20 AM
rnordeck

Cam,

What Futaba transmitter has a "dual throttle mode". I am trying to program a two throttle mix on a new Futaba 10C and even with the FAQ help....I are not getting it!!! Hate their *!#!* manual! But I don't want to "curse, flame, insult or embarrass..."

Thanks,
BadBob

Old 10-23-2008, 12:51 PM
jdhughen
My Feedback: (1)

Bad Bob,

Go to the futaba site. There is an example of programing twin engines for 10c. http://2.4gigahertz.com/faq/faq-10c-2_4ghz-q511.html

You can even insert throtte curves to what they have there. I'm still building but I set my 10c up with the engines on a test stand and it works great. Using one of the 3 way switches you can can control either or both engine. When "up" left engine goes idle and you control right, when down right engine goes idle and you control left. When in the middle they are locked together. I haven't done it yet but was told that you can also setup a kill function to one of the momentary switches.

Joel
Old 10-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Steve in Denver

I am brand new to this site (as of about 10 minutes ago). I think I have read all of this entire thread back to when it started before the release of the TF B-25. I have decided to get back into RC flying after a 17 year abscense. My latest hobby has been competiton bbq events, but I have the transport trailer for planes and my comp smoker for bbq...so I think the two will be a good mix!
Thanks for all the info on the B-25, the plane I wanted to build a long time ago. Now I know how to do it and which one to get.
Steve
Old 10-23-2008, 11:18 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

The gear is back at Tower... got mine.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:53 AM
RCGuy41

Steve Welcome,

It has been 17 year's since you have flown, well the hobby has changed some what since then. I'm not one to dicourage any one but read twinmanns recommendations about twins, Normand has posted a few links from rcwarbirds, here it is again http://www.rcwarbirds.com/Techniques/Technigues.htm#t2 it's an interesting article, please read. After reading the article you still want to continue ask plenty of questions, Tom monitors this thread and is an engineer who helped design and bring the TF B-25J to market. There's plenty of talent on this site and any one should be able to answer your questions or provide a source for answering your questions.

I have a few questions for you Steve, what type of radio are you going to use? A seven channel system is minimum for flying this bird. Will your radio transmit on 72 Mzh or the new 2.4 Gzh, plus what brand will you use? This model requires 13 servo's, 11 standard and 2 mini, each modeler likes using a brand they know and trust. For the most part a standard servo that has 50 once inch of torque or equivalent is recommended. Will you add retracts or go stiff legged on your model? Engines, there's plenty to pick and choose from, what are you thinking about installing? Your flight pack battery, will you stay with 4.8 volt or go 6 volt? The majority of radio systems accept both, if going to 6 volts the added power will increase your servo's torque out put.

Lastly this model requires some forward planning, I myself was on a budget during my build so I purchased what I could over time; the estimated cost for everything is between 2K - 3K. I don't want to discourage you in any way, just be well informed and if you do decide to buy and build this magnificent warbird, there's plenty of help on this thread.

Brad
Old 10-24-2008, 08:41 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

2K to 3K? What are you putting on this thing Saito Radials? Granted I got a deal on the kit but mine doesn't hit that high. Kit $450.00, Retacts $330, RCV 90s X 2 $ 600.00, servos $300, flite pack $75.00 ANd actually I have so many servos laying around that I didn't have to buy up for that. The only thing I had to buy new was the Kit and retracts. There are always deals to be had on everything, If you go with 2 strokes and the recommended servos I think you could get her in the air for under $1500.00.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Steve in Denver

I haven't decided on engines (other than I know I will go 4 stroke) or radio equip. yet. Still need to do the research on those. I have a new in the box Goldberg Anniversary Cub to warm up with while getting ready for the B-25. I plan to go with the retracts. Tim's info has me headed in the right direction ( I think). A couple of good bbq catering gigs will help the budget aspects.
Steve
Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 AM
RCGuy41

Manfred,

That's a ruff estimate on the high end, having to go out and purchase everything new, but I should have said that (My Bust,) you did get a good deal on your airframe. I ended up paying almost $1100 for airframe and retracts, that includes 6% state tax. Yes a wise shopper can bring their costs down and using existing components that a person has on hand.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Steve in Denver

I just finished reading Twinmans articles. Insanity does not run in my family and I still have my hair! Sounds like I will be looking into some gyros too. Great info again.
Steve
Old 10-24-2008, 01:30 PM
RCGuy41

Steve,

Normand had recommended (back a few pages) the installation of a gyro to ones rudders, in the case of an engine out failure. Since I had a GY401 gyro from a Helicopter project, I installed the gyro inline with the rudders with Aux2 for sensativity. The installation is easy, from RX rudder channel connect the gyro; gyro connects to the leads to the rudder servos and the last item to connect is the gyro sensativity, which in my case went into Aux2. Since I'm flying with a Futaba GY401 I had to select Digital Servo off on the gyro, the reason, signal pulse from the gyro to each servo will burn up an analog servo, where as a high speed digital servo for helicopters is designed to accept either signal, then I programed Aux2 on my TX at high end 75% and low end 1%. I'm currently flying a Spread Spektrum DX7 2.4 Gzh radio system, my servo's are all analog. I have about 8 flights under my belt after installing the gyro. I'm glad you are sane and still have all your hair, as I have gotten older my hair has gotten thinner on top. Steve, good luck with your future project.

Brad
Old 10-25-2008, 01:15 AM
camdyson

Hi Badbob,

No, I was answering Dave who has a heli JR. I fly a JR 9XII - like the 9303 you guys call it. Can't comment on futaba sorry.

Cam
Old 10-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Mirco

Hi

I am also interested in the TF-B25. It is possible to get this bird here in Germany but without the robart retract. These I have to order from USA.

Concerning the power plant I am going to use the Saito FA 82 GK with the standard muffler and saito engine mounts. Some guys also use the Saito 82 inverted without the muffler. Is it possible to mount the Saito 82 at an 02:00 or 03:00 position insted 06:00? If yes, it would be possible to use the same exhaust position like the OS 70.

Would ne nice to get some answers including pics if possible.

regards

Mirco
Old 10-25-2008, 09:04 AM
krproton

ORIGINAL: Steve in Denver

I am brand new to this site (as of about 10 minutes ago). I think I have read all of this entire thread back to when it started before the release of the TF B-25. I have decided to get back into RC flying after a 17 year abscense. My latest hobby has been competiton bbq events, but I have the transport trailer for planes and my comp smoker for bbq...so I think the two will be a good mix!
Thanks for all the info on the B-25, the plane I wanted to build a long time ago. Now I know how to do it and which one to get.
Steve
Hello Steve. Welcome to the site and welcome back to the hobby. Competition bbq events aye? That sounds interesting and probably a lot more involved than most of would think.

Good luck to you.

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.