Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

nitro planes falcon 25

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

nitro planes falcon 25

Old 11-14-2007, 10:09 PM
BAAMflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro planes falcon 25

I recently purchased my first pusher, a falcon 25 from nitro planes, it is advertised to fly with a .25cc to a .32cc I installed a .28cc mds that I had laying around. It was turning a graupner 9/6 pusher prop 12,ooo rpm and on the first try for take off it shattered the prop I assume from small pebbles on the runway and never tried to rotate for takeoff. Does anyone have any suggestions that would help take this from a pretty hangar queen to a nice looking flyer.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Craig-RCU

Default RE: nitro planes falcon 25

I don't have experience with this exact plane, but I helped a guy with a Nitromodels Bobcat 50 once. He had the similar rotation problem that you describe. The problem was that the main gear were too far behind the C.G. for the plane to rotate and achieve the necessary angle of attack needed to lift off. There are two ways to correct this angle of attack problem. You can remount the main gear so that they are about an inch behind the C.G. or you can lengthen the nose gear. Lengthening the nose gear is probably easiest and allows the "too far aft" main gear to protect the prop better from ground contact.

The Bobcat 50 was also this guy's first pusher and he made a number of "rookie" mistakes setting it up. He had a pusher prop mounted but he put the prop on backwards by mounting it with the sharp, trailing edge of the prop towards the front of the plane. Pushers props are just like tractor props in that they need to bite into oncoming air with the rounder leading edge for best efficiency. This is a common mistake for first-time pusher owners. Another common mistake that he made was to mount the tank with the clunk dangling forward to the nose of the plane. Again, pushers are no different than tractors here in that they need their tanks set up with the clunks dangling to the tail of the plane so that a sustained climb with less than half a tank of fuel will keep the clunk submerged. If you haven't already done so, you might try checking out the threads on the Bobcat 50 for more tips.

Also, I have an O.S. 25fp on a pusher plane called the Sig Tristar. This engine seems to be really happy turning a Tornado 8/6 pusher. I get about 14k rpm with it on the ground. I think you might be over-propping a bit. Shorter props make for better ground clearance too, so I think it will probably be a win/win situation for you to try an 8/6.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Tailspincharlie

Default RE: nitro planes falcon 25

I also have 25 size Bobcat and it is a blast to fly. My buddy and I built them at the same time. After numerous trys to land and fly the thing we finally figured it out. No.1 yes you should have the nose gear high enough to have positive on the wing for a smooth takeoff. This can be achieved by having a slightly larger wheel on the nose gear. Once you are in the air the plane flys flaulessly and fast too. We have a OS 32sx motors whch put out lots of R's and makes this plane go pretty close to 100 mpr. Now landing is a different story. You have to come in pretty hot and with ample elevator to keep the nose up. If the nose drops and hits the ground it will bounce straight up and come down on its nose. We finally figured out how to land and now it's great fun. Just keep after it and you will succeed after a few bumps and scrapes. Ours are all beat up but we still fly them. There a great little plane. We may get a new one when these wear out. Happy Flying Tailspincharlie