Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Ultra Stick 40 vs GP Big Stik 40

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Ultra Stick 40 vs GP Big Stik 40

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Yaniel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Ultra Stick 40 vs GP Big Stik 40

I'm trying to decide between these two planes and cant really see much difference besides the quad flaps and tricycle vs tail dragger set ups. if it matters i'll be using an evo .46 i have already to power it. any reason to choose one over the other? I'm leaning towards for US40 since its the same price and has the option of quad flaps, but i'm more concerned with which flies better.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Geardaddys

Default RE: H9 Ultra Stick 40 vs GP Big Stik 40

Never flown the big stick, but I have the US60 with quad flaps.. Great flying plane.. I flew it pretty hard this summer.. The flaps and crow really give the plane a whole different dimension that I really enjoy.. Mine has held up well with the abuse I've put it through..
Old 12-08-2007, 08:39 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

The ultra-Stick is kind of a high performance version of the Stick. No dihedral, larger control surfaces, etc. They become a real blast when overpowered! A buddy of mine has his US 40 powered with a Tower .75 and it redefines quick!
Old 12-09-2007, 07:08 AM
Geardaddys

Wow, a tower .75! That's what I have in my US60, and that bad boy gets up and goes.. I can't imagine what the 40 would be like with that engine!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:10 AM
ghost-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

I have flown both. The US 40 is the better of the two because of the Quad flap option, more fun factor. Don't get me wrong the GP Stik is a great flying plane also. The GP Stik can easily be set up as a tail dragger. Which ever one you choose you can't go wrong with either.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned both planes, the Big Stick 40 and Ultra Stick 40. I am presently flying a US 40 with an OS .55AX-great combination.

Both are excellent planes. The fact that the Ultra Stick is a tail dragger is not a problem. It is the best handling tail dragger I have ever flown. You can pop the power and the tail picks up immediately, it goes straight and doesn't nose over.

I have used quad flaps on a US 60, but just use the standard ailerons on the US 40. I set a Flaperon wing type and use 50% flaperons with elevator for normal flying. I also set up landing spoilers (both ailerons up) by mixing throttle to flaps. They start moving at half throttle and are fully deployed, an inch up, at idle.

Both of my Sticks were built with 3 degrees of anhedral on each side. This stops the roll with rudder, making knife edge and point rolls easier. Both also had the rudder servo moved to the top of the fuselage in front of the fin and used pull-pull for rudder.

The US 40 will do knife edge loops. I did program in down elevator with rudder mixing because both planes will pitch toward the top with rudder.

I would say the Ultra Stick 40 is the best choice, in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15872.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	822037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95096.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	822038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88326.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	822039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94848.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	822040  
Old 12-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Yaniel

thanks for the info guys, looks like i'll be going with the US40. i'd like to try the anhedral but its probably beyond my "building" abilities.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Geardaddys

fstblkgti,

I think you'll like the US.. What radio are you going to use? The reason that I ask is that if you are going to use the quad flap option with crow and all of the other features that Hangar 9 advertises, you'll need a decent computer radio.. If you are by chance using a Futaba 9C I posted the entire setup to get all of the features to work.. You'll have a blast with that airplane..

Old 12-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Yaniel

i'm using the dx7, i think it'll have enough functions to use all he quadflap features but i really havent looked into it yet. i've been reading about the wing ejecting from the fuse on the US40, anyone have that problem here?
Old 12-10-2007, 06:46 PM
150flyer

Out of all my planes, the US 40 gets the most flight hours. I also use an OS .55 AX for unlimited vertical. The plane can do most any manuever but is especially good at flat spins, rolling harriers and hovering. It knife edges with some coupling. It also takes-off and lands like a trainer.

I have built several US 40s for both myself and others. I always prefer to install the elevator and rudder servos in the tail rather than the servo tray for better control and CG placement. The battery goes in the servo tray where the elevator and rudder would have gone.

As far as the wing pulling out of the fuse, I always use brass tubing for the wing pegs instead of the supplied wood pegs. I've had no issues in hundres of flight hours.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:03 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

If built according to the standard directions, the Great Planes Big Stik .40 tends to be a great second plane. It has enough dihedral to be self correcting while still fairly aerobatic.

The Ultra Stik series is designed to be more aerobatic and less self-correcting.