Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

a few Telemaster Senior questions

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

a few Telemaster Senior questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:58 PM
spadeng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few Telemaster Senior questions

I am looking at getting a Telemaster Senior ARF and besides the Engine and radio equipment, what other accessories do I need to build. I have a ST .61 I am planning on using, what prop should I use
Old 12-13-2007, 02:37 PM
roknHS

Default RE: a few Telemaster Senior questions

If you are patient and watch, after the first of the year Hobby-Lobby ususally has a sale on these........I got mine for $159.....a month earlier they were $149 but I missed that deal. A lot of plane for the money............and..........I was really pleased with the quality of the components...........................now......this is what I fixed/changed when I put mine together.....I used a Saito 125....good power, but not over powered......it could easily take more power if you wanted it. I just couldn't see holding an 8' wing on with rubber bands.........some may do it....not me.
The wing halves slide together on 2 wood spars (quite strong).........I wanted to be able to hold the halves together with a small #8 bolt so I slid the wings together on the spars....decided where I wanted to bolt the halves together.......cut out the covering in two adjoining bays (one in each wing half).........drilled a hole through the root ribs and put a blind nut on one side and a bolt through the other so I could hold the wings together with a bolt through the root ribs.
I got some half inch hardwood blocks and glued one across the front of the cockpit and one across the back. Now, I could position the wing on the plane and drill down through the wing into the hardwood blocks for a wing hold down system........2 bolts in the front (one bolt in each wing half), and 2 bolts in the back (one bolt in each wing half). Tap the hardwood holes with a 1/4 tap and get the appropriate length bolts for the front and back.
You will need to reinforce around at least the front wing holes.............you get quite a bit of extra covering in the kit so you can use some sheeting (cover the top surface) and glue it down to the wing surface for extra reinforcement.
I didn't get their accessory kit so I had to make up my own strut attachments. I took their supplied strut material and covered it with the supplied extra covering. I got some thin 1/2" wide stainless steel material and bolted about a 2" length to each end of the strut. There is a hard point in the wing and a hard point behind the landing gear for attachment. I used 4-40 screw inserts and 4-40 screws to accomplish the attachment.
The wheels they send with the kit are junk foam........plan on getting some decent 4 - 5 inch wheels.........I used Graupner 5" from Hobby-Lobby.
The supplied control rod system is pretty hokey............just plan on putting your servos in the tail (reinforce some areas) and get some long extensions to run back to the cockpit.
I got a better tail wheel..........the one sent was more suitable for a 40 size plane.
Replace their fuel tubing with some decent quality product.........first time I fueled up to fly mine, a line in the tank compartment had cracked in a bend and I ended up filling my fuel compartment with fuel....................oh, you might want to fuel proof the inside before you start the assembly process.
Do something to add about 50% more rudder area..........whether you replace it or add on is up to you......just do it

It will probably fly fine with no changes, but I think it is a plane that is worth the improvements................Mine is set up for glider tow with a release..............It will fly along at 50 plus mph easy..........it will hang on the prop but won't go out of sight and
it will try your patience, trying to get it slow enough so you can land in the first half of the runway and not the second half...................
Old 12-14-2007, 03:18 AM
spadeng

Default RE: a few Telemaster Senior questions

I have been flying this on G3.5 and it takes off quick and floats, Thanks for the reply and advice, I have been reading of some mods others have made, i was going to progam in flaperons, but spoilerons sound more appropreate, will have to experiment, and i will wait until they go on sale they are 200 now, and that is still a little cheaper than the kit and accessories to build it,