Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

it happened to my us60

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

it happened to my us60

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 12:57 AM
AzRcpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it happened to my us60

Well I didn't think it could happen but it did. After just 2 flights with my new Ultra stick 60 the wing dowels were burned and grooved. I'm just glad that I looked or it could have been disastrous. Can someone give me some ideas on how I might correct this. Do I need to cut them out or what to do? Thanks for all the info. I have attached a few photos to show you the damage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	68971_378.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	41837  
Old 04-08-2003, 12:58 AM
AzRcpilot

And another view

Name:	68972_378.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	41838  
Old 04-08-2003, 12:59 AM
AzRcpilot

last one. The silicon is because I'm going to use it as a float plane.

Name:	68973_378.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	41839  
Old 04-08-2003, 01:06 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, good postflight check. Could you drill the dowels out and replace them with metal rods? You could reinforce the holes by epoxying washers to the front side.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:25 AM
lookinup

Same problem here on my US 40. I put a thin coat of epoxy on my dowels and also in the holes that the dowels fit in. It fixed the problem for me. While I was in there I also put some extra epoxy on the wing mounting blocks because a friend of mine ripped his wing off in flight.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:35 AM
bentgear

AzRCpilot,
Short version: Get some brass tubing that just slip over the dowels. Cut it a little long and serate one end. Use the serated end to slightly cut into the wing over the dowel. Epoxy the tubing sleeves over the dowels and then slightly enlarge the mounting holes in the fuse to fit tightly.

If you do a search you can find the long version and several other repair methods.
Ed M.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:50 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My suggestion is to simply coat the dowels with epoxy as they don't look too bad and fix the real problem. The real problem is there is not enough support on the backside of the former that they go into. That former is a thin piece of lite ply and its edge is cutting into the dowel since the dowel is longer than the ply is thick. Simply make some 1/4" ply (get the good midwest ply -- not lite ply) plates, drill a hole of the correct size, and epoxy them to the backside of that former concentric with the existing holes. The dowel will be supported along its entire length and there won't be an edge to burn and chafe from vibration and maneuvering.

I had this happen on my US40 and this is how I fixed it. FYI -- my dowels were more deeply cut than yours and they held up fine. I used the flat spin the crap outa my US 40! There really isn't that much stress on them as the wing saddle provides nearly all of the wing's support.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:07 PM
DownSideUp

Default another idea

I just recently found this on my US60 and I put fuel tubing on the dowels. I was hearing the thing vibrate in flight and fuel tubing stopped it. It's a quick fix but since I just did it, I don't know how long it will last.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:28 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I had the same problem. I did just as bentgear suggested, slipped a piece of brass tubing over the dowel and tacked it on with CA. This is the easiest fix. The problem is gone for good! Later.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:28 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add me to your list. It happened to me last Summer. I pulled the wood dowels and replaced them with aluminum arrow shaft cuts. I also slightly enlarged the receptable holes in the fuselage. Not only where my dowels scorching but the leading edge of my wing scorched and flattened.

Most important, after doing something similar to the above, is to tacke the source of the problem. The source of this effect is a loosely mounted wing. The solution is to layer your fuselage's wing saddle with a foam or rubber lining to take up the slack of the wing mounting. I bought rubber weather stripping. It is ribbed and self adhesive and a perfect width when I tear it down the middle. I line the wing saddle with that -- it provides just enough support to elliminate the slack in the wing mounting. I also have a small piece of foam between the mounting holes to support the leading edge of the wing. No more problems!!!
Old 04-08-2003, 07:54 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

On my stick the wing set perfectly...the holes for the dowels were too large, allowing some movement.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:25 AM
AzRcpilot

My wing saddle also was tight and the holes were loose. First I would like to thank you all for your responses. I went to Ace Hardware and picked up some aluminum to sleeve the dowels. I'm also going to put some backing on the former so to be doubly safe. Oh I contacted horizon and they said just send them the parts and they would see if they can take care of it. I can make the fix I just really wanted to add my comments to the list of people that has had this same problem. Maybe they can make some kind of modification. Oh well off to the shed to make some repairs thanks again all.

Mark
Old 04-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Crash_N_Burn

The easy fix (and adequate, too) is to slightly enlarge the holes in the former (if you find it necessary) and put some heat shrink tubing on the dowels.

The heat shrink acts as a cushion, too.

If you find any wear after a while, simply razor off the heat shrink and install new stuff. A five minute job.