Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Whats a good 2nd plane? Magic, Kaos, Pizzaz, etc...?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Whats a good 2nd plane? Magic, Kaos, Pizzaz, etc...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 09:51 PM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good 2nd plane? Magic, Kaos, Pizzaz, etc...?

I want to get a 2nd plane after I master my trainer, and would like to know what is good for a second plane. I hear a lot about the MAGIC and PIZZAZ, but are there any other reccomendations you have for me?

Thanks-Brian
Old 03-06-2002, 09:56 PM
rwh

Default Something slow!

You probably want something that will add to your capability, but can slow down for landings and to let you catch your breath.

Since you posted in this forum, I would suggest something like the Dazzler or Somthin' Extra ARFs as the best bet. Just keep the throws down until you get the hang of them.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:59 PM
RControlFreak

Default Magic

The magic was my second AND third plane. I highly recommend it. I used a OS 46LA and it was just a blast. It will fly very slow if you wish and I often landed into the wind at zero speed. With a 6oz tank I was able to fly for over 15 min doing touch and go's.

Ken
Old 03-06-2002, 10:18 PM
gtalbot
My Feedback: (5)

Default Depends

It depends on what you want to do.
I had a funfly early in my RC learning days.
It was a handful to launch the short tail-dragger off the ground, at first, and had unlimited capability...after a few weeks, my skill and confidence dramatically improved. The funfly (Something Extra, Magic, etc) will be good for looping and flopping around, which you will get good at.

The Kaos on the other hand, is designed to fly straight and true. It should slow down and be easy to land, but it will go where you point it. It will help you learn to fly straight, beautiful pattern lines.

Just depends on what you like.

I now plan to have only 3 planes...a SE for flops, a Kaos for lines, and a 1/2A little sukhoi for quick trips and fun.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:09 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default 2nd plane

I bought a Magic as a 2nd plane. It came after I got pretty good with the Rite Flyer trainer. So far, the Magic is very cool. I've got the throws tuned down, but with dual rates set, my friend can make this thing move!

Watch out for quality, though. I have/had some issues with the covering (coating?) seams. We had to iron them. I also was told that one of ailerons is bowed and I need to heat it to shrink one side so it straightens out. I adjusted for it by trimming with the radio, etc, and it doesn't seem to affect it.

Love it other than those small issues. I have an OS 46FX pulling it.

Mike

PS I installed a tail wheel as it only comes with a skid and without a wheel, it was kinda hard to maneuver.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4954_4987.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	3833  
Old 03-06-2002, 11:53 PM
Timbersnake

Thunder Tiger Lazy 51 is a fun ARF which is sort of a hybrid of slow fly and fun fly. Very well built airplane, super easy to fly, yet quite capable...you should have a computer radio though.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
TM
Old 03-07-2002, 02:07 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

hey bri, the magic 3d is only 100$ for the ARF! thats awsome... the kaos is like they say more of a pattern designed plane, but the ARF as you already known is about as junky as an ARF can be made, the SIG SE is sweet! hehe cause i got it, i like the way the kit built, very true and strait, the instructions a little confusing, but thats only because this was my first kit... other than that the plane was great to build, to fly on the other hand i dont know... hehe
Old 03-07-2002, 03:26 AM
Someone11-RCU

Wow, thanks a lot! I really appreciate your input

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2002, 06:42 AM
airwethead

Default Goldberg Tiger 2

You might want to take a look at the Goldberg Tiger 2 ARF as a second plane. I built one from a kit and I love it. I hear mostly good things about the ARF, and would recommend it if you don't want a funfly type tumbling plane or a pattern type plane like the Koas. The Tiger 2 is a great all around performer. Buy it, assemble it as a taildragger, and fly the covering off it!
Old 03-07-2002, 02:28 PM
ninefingers
My Feedback: (18)

Someone11, You might already know this, but theres another thread on this subject in the "Beginners" section. Most people suggested a "Stick" type plane, but I, personally, think there butt ugly, no one take offense please, just a personal thing. I suggest a low wing plane with a tri-cyle type landing gear as a second plane. Several out there, look at a Hanger-10 Advance .40. Square wing tips make it sail like a goose on landings and when it finally does stall its usually straight down. My 2 cents.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:37 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Default Magic Magic Magic Magic

Go for a magic, they are extremely forgiving, yet highly maneuverable. They will settle down just like your trainer for landing, and for 99.00, ya cant beat it. But they will also give you alot of confidence. I find the flight characteristics on low rates to be about the same as my avistar on high rates. I bought a dazzler kit for my second plane, and its still sitting in the box, after 2 1/2 years LOLOL. I might get around to building, it, but the magic fills that requirement quite well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5057_721.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	3834  
Old 03-07-2002, 03:48 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

its not the looks that count but the flying characteristics.... unless you want a scale plane
Old 03-07-2002, 04:36 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Default second plane

My vote goes to the Easysport and the Four Star for second and third planes, in that order (unless you have to have an ARF). Then maybe a Chaos after that, but get a Bridi original.
Old 03-07-2002, 04:49 PM
Someone11-RCU

Again thanks to all of you for your help. I really appreciate it!

I have a 46fx on my trainer w/ a 4 channel tower SYS3000 radio. I want to be able to use this engine and radio system on my 2nd plane. I think the Magic is the best for me, especially since its only $100 for an ARF! I don't want to be an aerobatic flyer, but I have the rest of my life to fly and decide that Heh, I'm only 15 years old.

Oh, and another thing, this hobby is pretty expensive! I need to get a job over the upcoming summer to support it. Do any of you have any suggestions of what type of job is good for 15 yr. old?

Thanks-Brian
Old 03-07-2002, 04:59 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default Job for 15 year old?

Brian,

I don't know if it's still up there, but there used to be a company called Malibu Grand Prix. I managed the one in San Diego for a couple of years. They have been changing to Speed Zones (i think), but that is a great first job! You could even apply as a mechanic on the cars and get your skills in tune which would help you with your hobby. Plus, being a mechanic entiltles you to "test" laps!!

You probably have to be 16 to get a job up there, so you might have to wait 'till your birthday.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 03-08-2002, 03:34 AM
Someone11-RCU

Default If I was just a big older....

No that go-kart place closed down That wouldv'e been a cool job. Any other suggestions?

Thanks-Brian
Old 03-08-2002, 06:28 AM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would strongly recommend staying away from the fun-fly type airplanes for a second airplane. They allow you to do things that planes were not intended to do. Don't get me wrong, they can be fun, but you will very quickly learn bad habits that will get you into trouble when you fly a different plane. They allow you to get away with just about anything. You are still in the learning stage and need to develop basic skills. The Tiger 2 ARf is an excellent plane...will do all kinds of manuvers well (as well as outside manuvers well). The kaos is another good plane, but not quite as forgiving as the Tiger. The H9 Advance 40 might be a good choice also, though I have never flown one. My point is, get an airplane that you actually have to fly, not just flop around and cram transmitter sticks....you'll be a better pilot because of it. OK, time to jump down from the soap box........
Old 03-08-2002, 07:39 AM
twister
My Feedback: (12)

I really had fun with the EasySport 40 ARF for my second plane, it was a very manueverable plane and slowed down really slow for landings!!!
Old 03-08-2002, 11:35 AM
BruceDana

Don't overlook Stiks. Great Planes, Hanger 9 and and others have inexpensive Ugly Stiks, Big Stiks, etc. for a song and dance. All fly very well.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Blackie

Default My Second Plane

Mine was the world models super stunts 60 but a little costly at $199, its hugh for a 60 size but very easy to see in the sky since it offers a fully symmetrical wing with a span of 80" and a 68" fuse. I am powering it with a .75

Its almost the size of the ultra stick 120.

Blackie
Old 03-08-2002, 04:02 PM
Balsa Duster

I have a H9 Advanced 40 with a .56 saito wich is pretty much the same as a good .46.

Great flying aircraft! Does it all right side up or inverted. Just glue the tail feathers on + the stock Bolt them.
Very strogh airplane.
I have pulled many G's is turns and stuff at 90 mph that the engine has bogged way down. its holding out fine. but I take a ca bottle to every joint i can.

Before you get anything max out the controls on your trainer to the maximom movement they can so you can practice.

The advanced 40 has no bad habits and is very fun to fly.
It can be wild and still fly smooth and stable like you trainer when landing or flying with the throttle low.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:36 PM
haikt
My Feedback: (11)

It seems nowdays everyone wants to fly the wild 3D stuff off the bet, in my opinion taking off and just doing crazy thing putting the sticks to the sides is not flying, everyone who knows to fly little bit can do that, true flying is to be able to do rolls, loops, hummerheads ect, and dont think tose are easy to do, to do them right they are the hardest stuff to learn, i can hover some ane fly ok but manuvers like 4 point rolls or rolling circles are the hardest to do right, so before you buy anything ask yourself what kind of flying do you enjoy and what are your goals for the future, to just hotdog around or to fly,
in my opinion the thik wing fun fly type of models dont fly, they stay in the air but they dont fly much and you have to overcorrec them all the time because of litle wind ect, i have a pizzaz have a top cap and they dont fly near as good as my 4 star 40 used to fly.
get something cheap( i paid 56$ plus covering for my 4 star) use your stuff form the trainer (weels, tank ect.) and have fun, i have been in your position and know what it feels like, but you know when you know that your a good pilot when you can do the same stuff your friends are doing but with you plane( something not 3 D) good luck and let us know what you decided
Old 07-23-2003, 06:00 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I count my Funtana as my 'real' second plane. OK, so I've had a couple of trainers and a Sturdy Birdy....

With the rate set low this is a nice smooth easy plane to fly, don't let the big ailerons fool you...

I heard someone here say 'it flies like a large aerobatic plane".. Does that mean my 3rd plane will be a 33% Edge?
Old 07-23-2003, 09:08 PM
Someone11-RCU

My second plane after all was a CG Skytiger. I recovered the fuse, and got it ready for flight by putting an OS 46FX in the nose and Hitec Servos on the surfaces. It flies great... I can kick up the rates to do some of the "crazy" stuff, yet it is as gentle as a glider on landings. I'm glad I made the choice I did.

-Brian

Old 07-23-2003, 09:18 PM
jwoolridge

CG tiger 2 would get my vote. Very nice and stable but turn up the rates and it can be a lot of fun. I had an OS 60 4 stroke on mine right up till the wing came lose on a low and fast inverted pass. Wing came lose because I forgot to check the wing bolts before that flight and I guess they came lose. Was an awesome plane till that trajic day. Dont go for a stick. I have a hangar 9 US 40 and would get rid of it in an instant if someone offered me a tiger 2 because the tiger flew much better. I hear the magic is a nice plane as well and with a OS 40 La can hover .
James

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.