Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

back to trainer

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

back to trainer

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 06:16 AM
U-CAN-DO-CRASH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back to trainer

hi,
after crashing my u-can-do-3d i think i'm back to trainers for a bit. my reflexes arent the fastest anymore :-)
looking into the alpha trainer, any thoughts on that model?
Old 04-29-2003, 12:04 PM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Default back to trainer

Alphas are very popular in my area UCD and is an excellent basic trainer. A good choice if you don't mind the limitations imposed by it's flat-bottom wing. Otherwise an Avistar or the larger Hobbistar with semi-symetrical wings may be a better choice if you're experienced.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:40 PM
the_knack

Default back to trainer

Tower Hobbies has the Hobbico Superstar for $20 off normal price. I built one with their OS65LA (which is also on sale) and flew it Sunday. I've only had a few flights on a Duraplane 40, so I'm still learning. The Superstar flies great and is a real floater on landing. The wing is a flat bottom so it doesn't want to roll very easy but it will do it. I'm going to put some more throw in my ailerons for the next flight. I don't think you would be disappointed with it. I like mine very much. Might want to also consider a SPAD Debonair. Everyone says they're very good trainers and you can change the wing later to a more aerobatic airfoil. Sorry to hear about your U CAN DO, those are beautiful planes. Hope you get back in the air soon.
Danny
Old 04-29-2003, 03:37 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd the Hobbistar...

IMO the Alpha is probably not much different from any other 40 sized trainer out there. What makes it is the RTF version with that snazzy pre tuned evolution engine.

You could probably salvage all the stuff from the U Can Do and put it in a 60 sized trainer. These trainers are a fair bit bigger than the 40 size and are better flyers.

I've just retired my Superstar 60 after its 2nd tree and I'm currently putting together a Hobbistar.

If you had a few flights on the UCD before crashing it then I think the Hobbistar is the best bet.

BTW. Tower are wrong in thier description, the MKIII has 'proper' iron on covering.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:29 AM
flyday

Default superstar 60

I had a super star 60 for several years.
In my opinion this aircraft is excellent. I put an OS 60 FP on it and it was great.
I had hundreds of flights on mine and I used it to train several people. I would still have today if it wasnt stolen a few years ago. The covering is not the best and you might have to use a few patches. I thoroughly enjoyed this aircraft.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:36 PM
FalconWings10
My Feedback: (4)

Default back to trainer

A Carl Goldberg Eagle 2 is both fun to build and fly.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:32 PM
TTARK

Default Telemaster

Hey if your an experienced pilot who just wants to go back to something a little slower and easier to fly, why not a telemaster? Great flying relaxing plane. A guy at our field has one and the last flight of the day takes it high kills the engine and thermals the darn thing, An excellent plane without the packaged trainer style

Terry