Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

J-3 Cub as second plane?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

J-3 Cub as second plane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Chicken-Farmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J-3 Cub as second plane?

I am looking into a second plane to build right now. What are the pros and cons of the J-3 Piper cubs? I've heard people say that they want to fly forever , they get squirrelly when it's time to land, and that they can be quite aerobatic.
I'm also wondering what the benefits/disadvantages of building a kit rather than buying ARF are?
I really like the Sig J-3 or Great Planes J-3. The great planes is covered with 21 century fabric, anyone have any experience with this stuff?
Last question clipped wing or normal wing. I'm not really an acrobatic flier i prefer pattern work mostly but enjoy an occasional loop or aileron roll!
Old 05-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Piper Cub (J-3 or SuperCub) are must haves, I do not recommend the smaller versions, but either of the 80" wingspan are great flyers, they are however a bit squirrelly on take off (until you get to know them), rudder control is a must and this will make you a better pilot.
If you can, by all means build a 1/4 scale size, perfect engine a 1.2 and no more!!, they are not squirrelly on take off and they fly like the real thing, which kit, it doesn't matter, I prefer Balsa USA, the fly more like the real Cub, due to a thicker airfoil and the way its incidences are set, please build the opening door, and do dress up that interior with a good cockpit kit, pilot and all, fly it with the window and door open, pure joy!
If you have a lake nearby, build pontoons, they are a blast to fly off water, and they do it better than any airplane I know.
The Clipped wing version can be quite aerobatic (in its own way), but, I believe the full wing is where it is at its best!, its best manuever, touch and goes, of course, all kinds of landings are achievable, two pointer, three pointer, one wheel first or the other, or just have it float by ever so slowly, but do not use any other engine than a four stroker, it adds tremendously to the realism of flight, I can guarantee you, you will never be without a Cub once you have one, its like having a loyal dog by your side, very undemanding but always ready to wag its tail for you!
Old 05-08-2003, 01:50 AM
murphyj

I am building a cub now as my first kit ever. It's been a real learning experience and I'm looking forward to flying it. I purchased the GP 40 version. Pretty straight forward to build. I have been having some trouble developing the proper technique with the monokote but it's coming along.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:52 AM
SVFlier

Perhaps one thing should be added; a J-3 Cub is a great 3rd or 4th airplane, but not a good 2nd airplane, in my humble opinion. It would be better to gain experience with a tail dragger first, particularly one with a low wing loading (tendency to float). My observation is based on doing an 80" Cub as my second airplane, and the resultant crashes. Many airplanes later, I have finally added an 88" Clipped-wing 1/4-scale Cub to my hanger, powered with an OS FT-160 Gemini Twin.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:21 PM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

Default great planes j-3 cub

The great planes 40 size kit was my trainer and my first kit. I've been flying for about 3 years now, and I still fly my cub every time I go to the field. As long as you have someone helping you, you should have no trouble with it.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:52 PM
Timmer

You love em or you hate em..... I hate em.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:04 PM
ghenson
My Feedback: (68)

You should be able to fly the cub as long as you keep a few things in mind. Cubs, like trainers, have a very light wing loading. Cubs however must be flown differently than a trainer plane and are not nearly as forgiving if you make a mistake at a low altitude.

First, you must use rudder along with the ailerons when turning. Cubs are very suseptable to adverse yaw, which would most likely occur if you attempt to turn with ailerons only. You can practice and get into the habit of using rudder on your trainer.

Second, despite very light wing loadings, some cubs can stall abruptly and drop a wing and sometimes even fall off into a spin. This can be avoided by learning the stall characteristics of the airplane and avoid stalling it at a low altitude.

Finally, some cubs want to bounce on and on when landing. This is something you will have to get a feel for.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:05 PM
live2flyrc

Stay away from the Sig Cub!!! I bought my father that kit and it was a nightmare to assemble. Ive built a few kits before but this was a monster. The plans, kit, and instructions are fairly old and not for a novice. There are several "oversights" in the instructions that forget to mention critical building steps. There are several references on the net in regard to those. Other than needing a bit more power than recommended it flies great. You have been warned......
Old 05-09-2003, 12:56 AM
ghenson
My Feedback: (68)

Yes!! I am finishing a Sig Cub. Unless you are trying to improve your building skills, stay away. In defense of Sig, this kit is well engineered and results in an extrememy light plane that is also a very accurate representation of the full scale cub.

If you want to get flying and you are an average builder, try the Great Planes and get one of the ARFS.

We are talking about the 1/6 scale sig cub. the 1/5 scale is very new and supposed to be a much easier build.